“Good B&B depending on the room”

Avatara Guest House
Ranked #76 of 155 Cape Town Central B&B and Inns
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Good B&B depending on the room”
Reviewed 5 December 2011

Avatara B&B is located in Green Point, which is a 10 minute walk from the Waterfront and generally a good location. The B&B is clean and Cher, the host, is very helpful. Our room was on the ground floor and adjacent to the kitchen/breakfast room, making it noisy early in the morning and there was only one (very small) window in the room, near the ceiling. The other rooms (on the first floor) should be better value. Breakfast is good, but don't order the 'spinach pie' which is a heated spinach pastry from the freezer. All in all, good location and value but try to get a room on the first floor.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Marlise S
Avatara_9, Owner at Avatara Guest House, responded to this review, 6 December 2011
Hi Marlise

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for Avatara. We appreciate feedback very much, however, when public it can be detrimental to one's business... but anyway I think your honesty will simply decrease expectations and hopefully not bookings.

However, in my defence may I please point out that the difference in price for the upstairs rooms is substantial (R300 more and R500 more respectively). And if the upstairs rooms are not booked I always upgrade bookings. So I feel that the low rate of the room you stayed at leading onto the breakfast room is although not perfect, suitable with a large King size bed of the best quality and 300 percale linen and organic body products . I have tried my best to make it work and have had satisfied guests stay for more than a month in that room. However without labouring the point I do understand that it is noisy in the mornings.

Then the frozen spinach pie is a new addition to the menu and is from the best German bakery in Cape Town. I actually do not know of a bakery in cape Town that bakes on site and serves spinach pies fresh out of the oven... sadly its the way we get it. Anyway I take head of your point.

Please accept my apologies that your stay was not acceptible. I run and own the business on my own, including doing all the marketing... so take great pride in what I do and always strive to improve.

All the best
Cher

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Avatara is a perfect B&B. I highly recommend that anyone visiting Cape Town stay here. The location is walking distance from the waterfront. Green point is a very familiar location with taxi drivers so getting there is not difficult. A ride to Long street is about 30 rand.

The guesthouse itself is gorgeous with a greenhouse-inspired kitchen. My one recommendation is to stay in one of the rooms upstairs as the en-suite rooms downstairs can be a bit noisy if there are people in the kitchen.

Overall, this is a great stay and Cher, the owner, is a gem who will go out of her way to give you recommendations on things to do and places to visit. Her recommendation to go cage diving and to the Cape of Good Hope have left me with memories for life.

Room Tip: Choose a room upstairs.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Rockaway, New Jersey
Reviewed 19 May 2011

Cher at Avatara Guest House is absolutely wonderful. We stayed at Avatara for 2 weeks during the World Cup in June/July 2010. She is extremely knowledgeable about the surrounding areas and gave us great advice as to where to go and things to do. The guest house is about 2 blocks from Green Point Stadium. It's on a quiet street yet only a 10 minute walk to the city center. It is a great location. It was also a terrific value. Our room was always clean, and anything we needed the staff was quick to get it for us. Breakfast was also included in our stay and Cher would make any type of eggs you wanted. There was also fresh fruit, juice, breads, etc available to us as well. I couldn't have asked for a better stay during our once in a lifetime experience

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SBCV6WP
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2011

Visiting South Africa was a trip of a lifetime for me. I am 67 years of age and was accompanied by my son, who did all the organising. Cape Town was our first stop and we were there 5 nights. I was a bit concerned about a few things, particularly safety and thought it may be best to stay in a large hotel, but my son thought it would be very impersonal. He browsed the Guest Houses and picked Avatara, saying that he had very good vibes about the place. His vibes were spot on.

Cher,the owner, is just lovely; we exchanged e-mails prior to our trip and she recommended places to visit, actually booking a tour for us, plus arranged a transfer from the Airport.

Avatara is very conveniently situated in Green Point and is within easy walking distance from the Waterfront. It is a safe, charming set up, with an extremely peaceful atmosphere. I had a room on the ground floor, which opened out onto the pleasant breakfast room; it only had a small window, but had a very large ceiling fan. My son was on the 1st. floor and his room had a balcony. Both rooms were very clean and comfortable and extremely good value for money. It was very relaxing, sitting out on the balcony of an evening, with a bottle of wine. Cher is extremely thoughtful and there was a well stocked fridge, full of all manner of drinks and small snacks. Clients are taken on trust and expected to jot down what they have taken.

Breakfast was very pleasant; plenty of super coffee, cereals, juices, fresh bread and free range eggs if required. We were served by the lovely Melani, who would also do any personal washing if asked. There is a large kitchen, with a microwave should anyone wish to use it and table and chairs. There are good restaurants very close by.

Avatara and Cher constituted our first impressions of South Africa and we knew that we were going to be o.k. and have a great time from that moment. I felt very at ease and at home and it all boded so well for the three weeks ahead. We hope to return to Cape Town before too long, as we just loved it there and didn't see everything we would like. There is no question at all about where we will stay. Thanks Cher and Melani and see you again. Ann & Richard

• Stayed April 2011
2 Thank anndefrond
Paris, France
Reviewed 5 May 2011

I loved the set-up of the rooms: very chic, very clean and felt like I was in a 5 star hotel. Cher was a great hostess and ready to provide advice and guidance on what to do in this beautiful city. Great restaurants and shopping within walking distance. This quaint gem is situated in the heart of the city and in a real neighbourhood.

Very affordable for the overseas traveller and a must better bet than staying in the bigger hotels. This is so much more intimate, romantic and cozy. The little breakfast nook with the early morning light is simply exquisite, a perfect way to start your day!

You wont regret choosing Avatara for your next trip!
Avatara comes highly recommended from someone who have travelled extensively and stayed in many hotels across the world!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 17 February 2011

I just came back from a wonderful 3-night stay at Avatara. Avatara is ideally located in Green Point, right in the middle of everything in Cape Town, and Cher is a fantastic host. She offerred great suggestions for activities (thanks for insisting on the Cape Point tour!) and bars and restaurants, and made all arrangements. The house is beautifully renovated, the breakfast was delicious (loved the French press coffee, best coffee I had in 2 weeks in SA), and in all ways I could not have asked for more. I would not hesitate to recommend Avatara to anyone travelling in Cape Town. I was never big on guest house / B&B accomodation before, but I am going to have to rethink that opinion. Thank you, Avatara!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 21 October 2010

I stay at Avatara frequently when in Cape Town on business. The guest house is conveniently located in the heart of Cape Town with easy access to the Waterfront, CBD and major freeways. Nightlife and restaurants are plentiful within short walking distance. The rooms are pleasantly decorated with a Zen influence providing a quiet escape from the bustle of the city whenever you desire.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business