“Be aware....”

Ranked #74 of 156 Cape Town Central B&B and Inns
København
“Be aware....”
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Small bed and breakfast very centrally located in Green Point just 10 minute walk from the Waterfront.

There are 6 rooms - 3 on ground floor and 3 on the first floor. The 3 bedrooms on the first floor are all nice and one of the rooms has nice balcony.

The rooms at ground level must be avoided. Dark, enclosed and 2 of them have only windows to the covered courtyard where breakfast is served. Not suitable for staying awake.

It is a matter of taste what you think about interior design and choice of furniture :-)

Cher is friendly and will gladly answer all questions and come up with good suggestions for activities. However, she is available only in the morning.

Upon arrival you will be asked to pay for the entire stay. Strange discount style which we have not seen elsewhere in South Africa.

Cleaning is mediocre. The cockroach in the photo was there several days. Dropping towels on the floor normally means clean towels. But not here!!! Wet towels dropped on the floor were hung out to dry in the yard and then put back in the room. Dank and smelly :-( Disgusting. Especially because you could not be sure that it was the right towel you got back.

Breakfast was very simple and not recommendable.

On our trip from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town, it was absolutely the worst and most expensive place we stayed. The standard may be due to the fact that it is a big city.

But good location and there are plenty of options for shopping just around the corner. It helps the overall picture.

There must be better places to stay in Cape Town at this price.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Vitus_DK
Avatara_9, Owner at Avatara Guest House, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Hi

I am so sorry about your negative experience of my B&B! It is the worst criticism I have ever received and I only wish that you had afforded me the opportunity to make your stay more pleasant while you were here. I am so proud of my city and what I offer at Avatara, that it is such a shame that you had this awful experience. You did not utter a word when I served you breakfast every morning or in the evenings when I chatted to you while you had a smoke outside. Also your parents seemed so happy whenever I asked how they were doing, so your posting came as a terrible shock.

And now that we have a framed cockroach on our page, best we honour his departure with some background: I have a pest control service and contrary to what you say, we take utmost care to ensure excellent hygiene, however, Cape Town experienced a heat wave in February (40 degrees+), which resulted in an increase in bugs. The pest control company even explained that it is the exception rather than the norm. Also directly after fumigation they tend to run out of their hiding places, which is probably dear Henry that you have in the pic who you shamefully shared your room with for several days. I am horrified to say the least and only wish you had told me.

I am also so sorry that the breakfast was not satisfactory for you, but most of my guests are more than satisfied with our offering of fresh breads, muffins, fresh fruit, yoghurts, 4 different cereal types, jams, preserves, cheese, free range eggs or pies and juice, tea & coffee. I did however find it unusual that you and your family only ate boiled eggs for your entire stay.

ALL the rooms in the entire B&B have windows leading to the sky with fresh air and not as you state. The room you stayed in, while it is adjacent to the dining room, thereby we offer it cheaper, is one of our brightest, hence the blockout lining on the windows and the curtains as the sun streams in through the glass terrace roof. It is surprisingly a popular room for our single guests as they love the large comfortable king size bed, crisp white 300 percale linen and once breakfast is done the entire courtyard is sunny and relaxing.

All emails and confirmation sent to you prior to your arrival stated that payment should be received in full before or on arrival. This is our Terms and Conditions and standard in most B&B’s in Cape Town.

I do apologize for your unpleasant experience and I hope that your parents and sister were more satisfied and that your overall experience of our beautiful Cape Town was not tarnished by my B&B. And hopefully next time you will choose something more in line with your interior taste and have a better experience.

Regards
Cher

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 3 February 2012

I was only looking for a convenient place to sleep while attending a conference in Cape Town. My friend Eva, who normally lives in Cape Town (and should return as soon as possible) recommended Avatara.- there was no need to look anywhere else. The location is fabulous and apart from being extremely efficient, host Cher made a tired guest feel very welcome. I would certainly return and certainly recommend Avatar to friends. I'd send people I don't like very much elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 29 December 2011

This is my first review on trip advisor, and I am a firm believer in saving reviews for experiences that must be shared. We stayed at Avatara Guest House for seven days, and had an absolutely unforgettable experience here. Even prior to our arrival, Cher demonstrated incredible hospitality through providing detailed advice on sites to see in Cape Town, making dinner reservations for us at some of the best restaurants in Cape Town, and arranging an airport pick-up for us.

Once we arrived at the guest house, we immediately felt at home and relaxed. The location is perfect-- it's a 5-10 minute walk to the Waterfront and about a 15 minute walk to the city center. Also, one block away is Giovanni's Deli, which is a wonderful gourmet delicatessen where you can choose from a variety of carefully selected wines, cheeses, meats, olives, etc. We frequented this deli several times, both to get sandwiches for picnics on Table Mountain or the beach and to enjoy some appetizers at the B&B before dinner!

Breakfast at the guest house is truly wonderful and held in a beautiful green-house styled room. Cher purchases the best local ingredients and creates fresh breakfasts to start off the day! In response to previous posts...I would agree that the room adjacent to the breakfast room/kitchen is not ideal but I think that the lowered price and all of the other touches make it absolutely worth the little noise heard in the morning! Overall, I highly recommend this B&B for couples or individuals who are eager to explore all the city has to offer.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 5 December 2011

Avatara B&B is located in Green Point, which is a 10 minute walk from the Waterfront and generally a good location. The B&B is clean and Cher, the host, is very helpful. Our room was on the ground floor and adjacent to the kitchen/breakfast room, making it noisy early in the morning and there was only one (very small) window in the room, near the ceiling. The other rooms (on the first floor) should be better value. Breakfast is good, but don't order the 'spinach pie' which is a heated spinach pastry from the freezer. All in all, good location and value but try to get a room on the first floor.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Marlise S
Avatara_9, Owner at Avatara Guest House, responded to this review, 6 December 2011
Hi Marlise

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for Avatara. We appreciate feedback very much, however, when public it can be detrimental to one's business... but anyway I think your honesty will simply decrease expectations and hopefully not bookings.

However, in my defence may I please point out that the difference in price for the upstairs rooms is substantial (R300 more and R500 more respectively). And if the upstairs rooms are not booked I always upgrade bookings. So I feel that the low rate of the room you stayed at leading onto the breakfast room is although not perfect, suitable with a large King size bed of the best quality and 300 percale linen and organic body products . I have tried my best to make it work and have had satisfied guests stay for more than a month in that room. However without labouring the point I do understand that it is noisy in the mornings.

Then the frozen spinach pie is a new addition to the menu and is from the best German bakery in Cape Town. I actually do not know of a bakery in cape Town that bakes on site and serves spinach pies fresh out of the oven... sadly its the way we get it. Anyway I take head of your point.

Please accept my apologies that your stay was not acceptible. I run and own the business on my own, including doing all the marketing... so take great pride in what I do and always strive to improve.

All the best
Cher
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Avatara is a perfect B&B. I highly recommend that anyone visiting Cape Town stay here. The location is walking distance from the waterfront. Green point is a very familiar location with taxi drivers so getting there is not difficult. A ride to Long street is about 30 rand.

The guesthouse itself is gorgeous with a greenhouse-inspired kitchen. My one recommendation is to stay in one of the rooms upstairs as the en-suite rooms downstairs can be a bit noisy if there are people in the kitchen.

Overall, this is a great stay and Cher, the owner, is a gem who will go out of her way to give you recommendations on things to do and places to visit. Her recommendation to go cage diving and to the Cape of Good Hope have left me with memories for life.

Room Tip: Choose a room upstairs.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Rockaway, New Jersey
Reviewed 19 May 2011

Cher at Avatara Guest House is absolutely wonderful. We stayed at Avatara for 2 weeks during the World Cup in June/July 2010. She is extremely knowledgeable about the surrounding areas and gave us great advice as to where to go and things to do. The guest house is about 2 blocks from Green Point Stadium. It's on a quiet street yet only a 10 minute walk to the city center. It is a great location. It was also a terrific value. Our room was always clean, and anything we needed the staff was quick to get it for us. Breakfast was also included in our stay and Cher would make any type of eggs you wanted. There was also fresh fruit, juice, breads, etc available to us as well. I couldn't have asked for a better stay during our once in a lifetime experience

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SBCV6WP
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2011

Visiting South Africa was a trip of a lifetime for me. I am 67 years of age and was accompanied by my son, who did all the organising. Cape Town was our first stop and we were there 5 nights. I was a bit concerned about a few things, particularly safety and thought it may be best to stay in a large hotel, but my son thought it would be very impersonal. He browsed the Guest Houses and picked Avatara, saying that he had very good vibes about the place. His vibes were spot on.

Cher,the owner, is just lovely; we exchanged e-mails prior to our trip and she recommended places to visit, actually booking a tour for us, plus arranged a transfer from the Airport.

Avatara is very conveniently situated in Green Point and is within easy walking distance from the Waterfront. It is a safe, charming set up, with an extremely peaceful atmosphere. I had a room on the ground floor, which opened out onto the pleasant breakfast room; it only had a small window, but had a very large ceiling fan. My son was on the 1st. floor and his room had a balcony. Both rooms were very clean and comfortable and extremely good value for money. It was very relaxing, sitting out on the balcony of an evening, with a bottle of wine. Cher is extremely thoughtful and there was a well stocked fridge, full of all manner of drinks and small snacks. Clients are taken on trust and expected to jot down what they have taken.

Breakfast was very pleasant; plenty of super coffee, cereals, juices, fresh bread and free range eggs if required. We were served by the lovely Melani, who would also do any personal washing if asked. There is a large kitchen, with a microwave should anyone wish to use it and table and chairs. There are good restaurants very close by.

Avatara and Cher constituted our first impressions of South Africa and we knew that we were going to be o.k. and have a great time from that moment. I felt very at ease and at home and it all boded so well for the three weeks ahead. We hope to return to Cape Town before too long, as we just loved it there and didn't see everything we would like. There is no question at all about where we will stay. Thanks Cher and Melani and see you again. Ann & Richard

• Stayed April 2011