“Nice home away from home”

Avatara Guest House
Ranked #77 of 156 Cape Town Central B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 August 2012

The Avatara Guest House is ideally located between the City Bowl (e.g., Cape Quarters, Bo-Kaap are within walking distance, it is a nice stroll with lots of photo opportunities), the Waterfront, Green Point Park and Sea Point. All within walking distance. This makes the Avatara Guest House a perfect location to explore the beautiful city of Cape Town. Knowing the South African mindset regarding safety, especially after night fall, I felt totally safe walking to the Waterfront on several nights to have dinner or go shopping. Green Point is a cozy and charming district.

Cher, the owner of the guest house, and her staff are very helpful. Cher has lots of tips and information to make your stay in Cape Town comfortable and amazing. She and her staff have a real hospitality attitude and are very service oriented. My room on the 2nd floor was nice, clean and very well maintained. Breakfast had a very nice personal touch, was freshly made and very tasty (I have had all kinds of freshly made omelets with garniture, fresh bread, juices, (European) cheeses etc.) in an agreeable breakfast room.

All in all, I had a very pleasant stay at the Avatara Guest House. It is a lovely, relaxed accommodation, a home away from home after long days in the beautiful city of Cape Town.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 20 June 2012

I travel often to Cape Town, to re-charge my batteries from life in the "Bush". I have always enjoyed staying in the Green Point/Sea Point area, within easy walking distance to the Waterfront and the City Bowl. I have stayed in many establishments, trying to find the "One" that would feel like place to relax within the hub of the gorgeous City of Cape Town. I stumbled upon this Guest House last Christmas, and immediately felt a sense of Spiritual Relaxation and Well-being when I was warmly greeted at the entrance. I knew as I entered that this was the place I had been searching for, as a charming retreat within the hustle bustle of the City. Instead of staying the two days I had booked in for, I stayed for a week.

In Avatara I never had a restless night, beneficial since as I am one who always has trouble sleeping in any bed other than my own. I also found that the room I had was a wonderful place to chill out, after a long day out. Breakfast afforded me a selection of everything I like, and it is also nice to have interaction with other guests. What more could I ask for?

The ambiance created by Cher, the owner, has dragged me back again and again. I am now preparing for my fourth visit in just over six months, at the beginning of July.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 April 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here after being in Stellenbosch for four nights. I can't argue with the previous reviews to be honest - it's a pleasant little place, but just didnt quite hit the mark for us.

The website gives the impression of a boutique style guest house, but it's more of a typical B&B. We found it difficult to sleep without air conditioning but we're used to air-con at home so maybe that's not a problem for others. The balcony looked out over a road and a barbed wired wall. Signal Hill was in the background however.

The owner seemed very nice and offered help with things, however we already had plans for each day and knew our way around. The location was good and seemed safe enough but I still would receommend a taxi to and from the waterfront in the evenings. It's a 20 min walk in reality and better safe that sorry.

There's nothing majorly wrong with this place, however I think I just was a little bit underwhelmed after such a slick website.

Room Tip: Were were on the first floor. Wouldnt want to be on the ground floor.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andy_Edinburgh_81
Avatara_9, Owner at Avatara Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

Hi

My humble apologies to you as we did not meet your expectations! We try very hard to provide excellent service and provide 4 star quality beds and linen, and our rates are still very low comparatively to other Bed and Breakfasts. Your rate of R650 per person per night to be exact during peak season for the Balcony room.

We do not pretend to be a boutique hotel - we are registered as a B&B and in fact our website features mostly our standard rooms DOWNSTAIRS, so as not to create false expectations. It is however an old Victorian house built in the 1800's, so as much as we have tried to modernize it, we have also kept the charm of the old world alive.

Then sadly South African security is of high concern and hence we live with secure features such as electric fences and barbed wire... however, you are the first person to complain about this as it is great that guests are able to sleep with the double doors leading onto the patio wide open and not worry about security. I appreciate that it is unusual for you. To be fair the view of the small wires on the wall is marginal to the vast backdrop of Signal Hill above.

Anyway I am so sorry that we did not measure up to your standards, but when I chatted to you you seemed to be enjoying Cape Town. So I do hope that your overall experience of our beautiful city was not marred by my B&B.

Kind regards
Cher

Reviewed 31 March 2012

Had the pleasure of staying at Avatara earlier this month. While there for a week, for the first 4 days I got to stay in the best room (number 6) on the 2nd floor , which is a nice big room with a king size bed and lovely bay window that has a ledge that is convenient for sitting on or placing small items on. The en suite bathroom has a beautiful large sunken bathtub and double sinks, and a separate shower. As you can see from my photos, a lot of effort has been made to create a look and feel that is chic and yet classic - perfect for a boutique hotel.

The owner and manager Cher, was welcoming and helpful with recommendations for places to visit as well as adding some nice personal touches - when I told her that all I have for breakfast is juice, she went out and got me some special juice.

Service was more than expected from a small guesthouse - rooms were clean and well maintained and the staff were friendly and helpful.

Location! Location! Location!! Avatara is perfectly located - right in the middle of Cape Town's attractions. Walking distance to the World cup stadium, V & A Waterfront, Virgin Gym, a great breakfast spot and deli and very close to the road that leads to Sea Point, Road to Bantry Bay and Camps Bay.

Had a wonderful time in what I think is the most beautiful city in the world (in terms of landscape) - can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Small bed and breakfast very centrally located in Green Point just 10 minute walk from the Waterfront.

There are 6 rooms - 3 on ground floor and 3 on the first floor. The 3 bedrooms on the first floor are all nice and one of the rooms has nice balcony.

The rooms at ground level must be avoided. Dark, enclosed and 2 of them have only windows to the covered courtyard where breakfast is served. Not suitable for staying awake.

It is a matter of taste what you think about interior design and choice of furniture :-)

Cher is friendly and will gladly answer all questions and come up with good suggestions for activities. However, she is available only in the morning.

Upon arrival you will be asked to pay for the entire stay. Strange discount style which we have not seen elsewhere in South Africa.

Cleaning is mediocre. The cockroach in the photo was there several days. Dropping towels on the floor normally means clean towels. But not here!!! Wet towels dropped on the floor were hung out to dry in the yard and then put back in the room. Dank and smelly :-( Disgusting. Especially because you could not be sure that it was the right towel you got back.

Breakfast was very simple and not recommendable.

On our trip from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town, it was absolutely the worst and most expensive place we stayed. The standard may be due to the fact that it is a big city.

But good location and there are plenty of options for shopping just around the corner. It helps the overall picture.

There must be better places to stay in Cape Town at this price.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Vitus_DK
Avatara_9, Owner at Avatara Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2012

Hi

I am so sorry about your negative experience of my B&B! It is the worst criticism I have ever received and I only wish that you had afforded me the opportunity to make your stay more pleasant while you were here. I am so proud of my city and what I offer at Avatara, that it is such a shame that you had this awful experience. You did not utter a word when I served you breakfast every morning or in the evenings when I chatted to you while you had a smoke outside. Also your parents seemed so happy whenever I asked how they were doing, so your posting came as a terrible shock.

And now that we have a framed cockroach on our page, best we honour his departure with some background: I have a pest control service and contrary to what you say, we take utmost care to ensure excellent hygiene, however, Cape Town experienced a heat wave in February (40 degrees+), which resulted in an increase in bugs. The pest control company even explained that it is the exception rather than the norm. Also directly after fumigation they tend to run out of their hiding places, which is probably dear Henry that you have in the pic who you shamefully shared your room with for several days. I am horrified to say the least and only wish you had told me.

I am also so sorry that the breakfast was not satisfactory for you, but most of my guests are more than satisfied with our offering of fresh breads, muffins, fresh fruit, yoghurts, 4 different cereal types, jams, preserves, cheese, free range eggs or pies and juice, tea & coffee. I did however find it unusual that you and your family only ate boiled eggs for your entire stay.

ALL the rooms in the entire B&B have windows leading to the sky with fresh air and not as you state. The room you stayed in, while it is adjacent to the dining room, thereby we offer it cheaper, is one of our brightest, hence the blockout lining on the windows and the curtains as the sun streams in through the glass terrace roof. It is surprisingly a popular room for our single guests as they love the large comfortable king size bed, crisp white 300 percale linen and once breakfast is done the entire courtyard is sunny and relaxing.

All emails and confirmation sent to you prior to your arrival stated that payment should be received in full before or on arrival. This is our Terms and Conditions and standard in most B&B’s in Cape Town.

I do apologize for your unpleasant experience and I hope that your parents and sister were more satisfied and that your overall experience of our beautiful Cape Town was not tarnished by my B&B. And hopefully next time you will choose something more in line with your interior taste and have a better experience.

Regards
Cher

Reviewed 3 February 2012

I was only looking for a convenient place to sleep while attending a conference in Cape Town. My friend Eva, who normally lives in Cape Town (and should return as soon as possible) recommended Avatara.- there was no need to look anywhere else. The location is fabulous and apart from being extremely efficient, host Cher made a tired guest feel very welcome. I would certainly return and certainly recommend Avatar to friends. I'd send people I don't like very much elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 December 2011

This is my first review on trip advisor, and I am a firm believer in saving reviews for experiences that must be shared. We stayed at Avatara Guest House for seven days, and had an absolutely unforgettable experience here. Even prior to our arrival, Cher demonstrated incredible hospitality through providing detailed advice on sites to see in Cape Town, making dinner reservations for us at some of the best restaurants in Cape Town, and arranging an airport pick-up for us.

Once we arrived at the guest house, we immediately felt at home and relaxed. The location is perfect-- it's a 5-10 minute walk to the Waterfront and about a 15 minute walk to the city center. Also, one block away is Giovanni's Deli, which is a wonderful gourmet delicatessen where you can choose from a variety of carefully selected wines, cheeses, meats, olives, etc. We frequented this deli several times, both to get sandwiches for picnics on Table Mountain or the beach and to enjoy some appetizers at the B&B before dinner!

Breakfast at the guest house is truly wonderful and held in a beautiful green-house styled room. Cher purchases the best local ingredients and creates fresh breakfasts to start off the day! In response to previous posts...I would agree that the room adjacent to the breakfast room/kitchen is not ideal but I think that the lowered price and all of the other touches make it absolutely worth the little noise heard in the morning! Overall, I highly recommend this B&B for couples or individuals who are eager to explore all the city has to offer.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple