“Enormously Disappointing”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Since arriving in (the very lovely) Cape Town, everyone from our tour guide, friends, and hotel concierge have been raving about Carne. Having booked a couple of days in advance to ensure a spot, we arrived with huge anticipation for a great carnivorous feast only to be massively disappointed.

The interior is quite nice, and staff are superbly friendly, however the food quality is below standard for any discerning steak lover. After a mouth watering presentation by our waiter of the various available cuts of meat (beef mainly, but game features prominently on the menu), we went for a Fiorentina Steak. It arrived, all pre-cut into extremely thin cut slices, which normally would either be one large piece with a few pieces cut into it, or completely cut in large thick slices - and most importantly of all it was completely devoid of any flavour.

My dinning partner and I both felt the same (Fiorentina steak is always to share), and wondered if we should have ordered a different cut they were more capable of handling. HOWEVER,everything we sampled was equally unappetizing.

The lamb shoulder ravioli which we were told was a specialty of Carne was hugely bland, and also overly soggy. Our spinach side dish was also very plain with nothing but straightforwardly boiled spinach lacking any flair or indeed flavour.

The only up side was the house salad, and of course the wine recommendation which was a superb Stellenboch Cabernet Savignon.

I have had a better steak at my local pub, and my partner joked that they should issue an apology with the bill, and to be honest I would have to agree.

Verdict? Avoid, there are so many better restaurants in Cape Town.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

I chose the ribeye on the bone. They bring it out for you to chose your own piece. I like steak and have eaten it at many places around the world and this is in my top 5

Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Carne is a top location in Capetown. The service was excellent, the atmosphere contemporary and the food just delicious. A wide range of South African wines are offered to a very reasonable price. The highlight of course is the meat, which is unbeatable. As a starter, try the home made pasta.

Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

I came here with 12 buddies on a cricket tour and we had a great evening. A lot of meat on the menu and I chose the 400g on the bone rib, medium rare. Off the scale wonderful piece of meat and an international bargain too at less than £10/ZAR170. We had plenty of wine (the Pinotage) at keen prices.

The decor is fairly utilitarian but none the worse for that. The bottom line is that we ate wonderfully, drank fine wine, had a great evening and enjoyed it more than London's Hawksmoor and the Gaucho. The cheap rand makes Carne a steal.

1  Thank douglasshaw
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We have dined at 95 Keerom on a number of occasions and the excellent atmosphere, food and service has been carried over to this meat centered basement restaurant opposite.The meat offerings are brought to the table on a large tray and each cut and the way it is prepared is professionally described by the waiter. My wife does not eat red meat but was very pleased with her chicken dish. The quality of meat is the best we have encountered in Cape Town.