“Worst restaurant in Cape Town”
Review of Mario's Italian

Mario's Italian
Ranked #355 of 1,155 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Greenford, Middx, England
“Worst restaurant in Cape Town”
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Avoid this place like the plague.
Service was absolutely terrible, food was nothing special and they added a compulsory service charge to our bill, which is not common in 99% of the restaurants I have visited around the world.
Steers is a better option here.

Visited May 2013

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Below average food, grotesquely overpriced wine”
Reviewed 22 May 2013

The service was attentive and friendly, but the penne arribeata was oily, with barely any sauce and no attempt at garnish or appearance. It felt like it could have been made by a six year old. Bread was a rather stingy size. The biggest shock came with the bill - R135 for 3 glasses of the house red, which I know goes for under R40 in a supermarket. Very disappointing rip off.

• Visited May 2013
Coupeville, Washington
“Great food and service!”
Reviewed 1 May 2013

I happened upon this restaurant on the first night of my first visit to Cape Town. I love home made pasta! It was great! The waiter was helpful and helped me "custom order" exactly what I wanted. Being a woman traveling alone, often single diners are not awarded this type of service. I was only sorry I was not staying in Cape Town longer so I could enjoy more meals there! (and most reasonable prices)

Visited March 2013
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Take Care...”
Reviewed 28 April 2013

We happened upon Mario's whilst on vacation in Cape Town. What a disappointment! Food mediocre at best. Service pleasant, but certainly not attentive. Biggest danger... paying for the bill. Apparently, the credit card machine's connectivity is unreliable, and necessitates the waiter moving to the front of the restaurant to pick up a signal (anywhere but close to your table). We received two "Declines" and were asked if we could pay using another card. A little suspicious I called my bank in the UK on returing to our hotel to report the "decline" as it seemed odd. Now back home and see that Marios took two payments for R677, one from each card (nice trick eh?). The onus is now on me to prove fraud.
Be careful.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank pniel1928
San Marcos, California
“Family Run Italian Restaurant”
Reviewed 10 April 2013

This restaurant is just block or two up from our hotel (Cape Royal) and so was very convenient. It is a family run restaurant with great food and very reasonable prices. The staff is also very nice.

• Visited April 2013