“Not such a great location”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of New Kings Hotel

New Kings Hotel
Ranked #69 of 106 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Not such a great location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

I find the part of Sea Point that this hotel is located in is a bit on the shabby side, the small shopping complex in which the hotel entrance is located is nice, but once you step out onto the street I felt a bit on the uneasy side as there were plenty of drunk vagrants loitering around. Our room on the 4th floor was not ready when we arrived, but the front desk and the housekeeping staff were very friendly and once we were in the room we were pleasantly surprised. The room was huge and very comfortable with a good size shower and a free standing bath in the bedroom. The breakfast was basic but good.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Hebrew first
Ra'anana, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

This is our second extended stay at this hotel. From the time of wring to Marilu till check-out, everything was marvelous.
We arrived at about 1400, and within minutes were in our large room on the fifth floor, equipped with mini fridge as requested.
As hard as we could ry, there is no noise from the passageway, nor from neighboring rooms, just solitude!
Nothing I could say about the staff would justify the politeness, friendliness and simply caring attitude of them all. From reception, to room and dining room staff, all went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable.
Th hoptel is situated over a small shopping mall with access to everything one may want.
Even free WIFI is included, which is soon to be upgrade, and the breakfasts are South African style, more than enough.
Free undercover guarded parking is also included, and I made good use of it.
My brother also stays here, and we will be back!

Room Tip: All the rooms are good, the sea facing rooms may be quieter, but have no first hand experience.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank GordonBloch
Washington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

Great hotel and location, is central for getting around near by areas. City sightseeing bus 50mtrs away and new myciti mini bus routes on the door step as is a Spar and Woolworths food super markets on the ground floor. Breakfast has plenty to offer.

Room Tip: We had room 512 which is located at the front of hotel, can be noisy for some people. But it did not...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

We love this hotel due to its great location and friendly staff (especially Liesl at Reception).

Rooms are big and breakfast is nice.

Shops and restaurants are nearby, so is the beach for jogging and cycling. All sights of interest are easy to reach.

Good place in Cape Town.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank endaxi0815
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

Stayed here Feb 22- 26 2014 between business trips in Johannesburg and Nairobi. This was just what I needed!

This being my first time in Cape Town and alone, I was a bit nervous. I later found that there was nothing to be nervous about and was able to relax. From booking tours, to making dinner reservations to booking taxi's the front desk staff was AMAZING! I asked A LOT of questions and the staff was always very patient and informative, especially Naiomi. Naiomi went above and beyond every morning to ensure my trip was memorable.

Upon arrival at 11am I fully expected to drop off my luggage and explore the town until 3pm check in time. Well to my SURPRISE and DELIGHT.....they had a room ready for me (room 306)!! This was surreal to me and pretty much added a day to my trip.

The room was quite spacious and clean. There were a few imperfections (iron stains on the pillowcases, not immaculate but clean linens that smelled of bleach). I either booked a standard or a deluxe room (I can't remember) via booking.com. In my reservation I requested a refrigerator which was not in the room when I arrived. I made a call to the front desk and within minutes they were delivering a mini fridge...GREAT! BUT it didn't work....not so great. I just wanted to keep some bottled water in it so I didn't complain.

The breakfast selection was quite nice. Starting the morning here meant there was no need for lunch!
They have free wifi but you much get vouchers from the front desk to access. They will give you as many as you need, but why not just grant guest unlimited access via single sign on??

CONS:
No pool or room balcony

No mesh/screens on windows. I would have loved to enjoy the lovely ocean breeze but I have a fear of birds and thought a seagull would fly in.

There was a private event the first night so the bar was closed and music/conversation until midnight. Not terribly loud but not ideal.

SIDE NOTES:
The Asian restaurant (not affiliated with the hotel) is ok at best. I would skip it next time.

I highly recommend you book tours with African Eagle tours Peninsula, Township, and Wine Lands all half day were AMAZING and reasonably priced (between $50-$60 each)!! I'll do a separate review of AET.
I would also recommend booking tickets for Robben Island and Table Mountain the first day you arrive. Depending on the winds and availability you may or may not get to these places if you don't check early (I missed out on both of these attractions).

Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 306 had a view of the ocean. There is a building directly in front of it and a few to the left...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Durban
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

From the dead orchids in the reception area to the rock hard pillows (despite a pillow menu supposedly on offer) the airconditioning unit being so loud that I was unable to use it, I cannot find anything to recommend about this hotel - for what you get it is totally overpriced.
Good location tho.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank luluzu
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

Stayed at this shotel in Dec 2013. Very central to everything, rooms are decent size, had a lovely view. Staff is very friendly.

Only problem i had was the TV gave problems daily.

Breakfast is standard but could have done with abit more variety.

All in all a great hotel to stay. Value for money.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
#29 of 106 in Cape Town Central
The Peninsula All-Suite Hotel
The Peninsula All-Suite Hotel
#53 of 106 in Cape Town Central

Been to New Kings Hotel? Share your experiences!