“"Fun had by all"”
Review of Grand Daddy Hotel

Grand Daddy Hotel
Ranked #61 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Although this was a business trip, it was a unique experience for us. From the moment we stopped it was just 5* service to the end. Most enjoyable stay in a long time. Will definately go there again and recommend this unique Hotel to anyone.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Nick P, General Manager at Grand Daddy Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2015

Dear CathrineVanStraten

Thanks for taking the time to give your feedback on the hotel. I have taken over the running of the hotel and ensuring that all the comments are replied to. I am sire glad you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and you must pop in when next you are in Cape Town. We have recently completed our refurbishment of the rooftop and the airstream trailers now have all new themes.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

If you young in spirit and mind this is the perfect hotel, centrally located with easy Access to the City and night life, great service, and excellent staff.

I go there at least 7 times a year and have enjoyed every stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Normanparkin

Thank you for your feedback about the hotel. I have taken over the running of the Grand Daddy and making sure that all the comments are responded too. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. We have completed the refurbishment of the rooftop and have new themes for all the airstream trailers. You must pop in to see them, when next you are in Cape Town

Warm Regards

Reviewed 18 June 2014

please dont let the professional photos fool you. its a old property with dated lift and cramped room. it feels like a hostel . the rooms were so small that after putting down the luggage hardly any place was left to move aorund.

The only saving grace if the hotel is the Location. That is it.

please note: i stayed for a very short tym and dint see the rooftop trailer and the bar so cant comment on those.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank kshitiz007

Dear kshitiz007

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on the hotel. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. I have taken over the running of the hotel and ensuring that all the feedback in reviewed and replied to. We refurbished the rooftop last year, and redesigned all the airstream trailers and re-themed each one with a roadtrip destination in South Africa. If you are in Cape Town again, please pop in to see what we have done and I will be delighted to show you around.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

I recall this hotel opening several years ago to great acclaim and it's winning recognition and awards for its innovation and design.
Charging R1,900 during most times of the year per night I struggled to justify staying there on my business trips. I did though attend numerous events on the roof and in the bar and was very impressed with the art and style.
As I booked my recent business trip Group On mailed me and offered me a ridiculously cheap three nights at this hotel. I went through a laborious process but secured my three nights plus a fourth paying the full off peak rack rate.
Advertised as a four star hotel one would expect a great deal more than you experience. And the veneer was certainly deteriorating.
The rooftop was closed for renovation and the owners might be well advised to close the whole hotel for renovation. At the entrance to our room and at each window the paint was fast coming away from the wall due to damp. In general there was an unkempt feel as though decaying ageing was being allowed to march unchecked in view of budgetary constraints. This was not handsome antique ageing.
A four star hotel should have:
At least one international news channel
Working wifi
Working customer computer access
Cockroach free
Plentiful amenities in the bathroom
More than two tea bags
A roof that does not leak. We at least found an ice bucket to catch the drips that kept us awake most of the night.
Room service 24/7

Sadly this hotel failed on all these counts .

The staff though were great and helpful but perhaps a bit too honest " I don't know why we put you in that room sir it is always problematic ." Were their words whilst we were moved rooms mid stay. Never a fun thing to do.

There was also a complete brand fail when having paid the full rack rate which provided breakfast ( from a trimmed down menu) I was told by the waiter " the cappuccino will be extra" in fact twelve rand extra. It's not about the money it's the experience. We estimated the cost price of that cappuccino was R2 and would be delighted to be corrected.

Located centrally and with lots of potential, tread with caution especially in view of the cockroaches and avoid room 301 at all costs.

Since drafting this review i have had a mail from the general manager following my alerting them via social media of my concern and forthcoming review.

Room Tip: Located centrally and with lots of potential, tread with caution especially in view of the cockroach...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Gordon M

I know you dealt with my predecessor with your stay in 2014. She offered you are complimentary room on your return and you stayed with us in April 2015. I am so glad that you gave us the opportunity to show you what the Grand Daddy Hotel is all about . We hope to welcome you back the hotel soon

Reviewed 19 May 2014

We stayed at The Grand Daddy for one night during a business stay over. Centrally located, one literally walks out the front door and onto Long Street. Long Street is the heartbeat of Cape Town CBD, night life abuzz with a number of eating places a stones throw away. Accommodation is simple, clean and comfortable. Surprisingly there was no noise and the rooms were well ventilated. The bathroom has a shower and bath on offer. Breakfast downstairs was the usual. Overall, an average place to stay. No real bells and whistle, just good honest value for the heart of Cape Town.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear TrezSouthAfrica

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on the hotel. I have taken over running the hotel and ensuring that all the reviews are responded to. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. We completed our refurbishment of the rooftop last year and all the airstream trailers have been redesigned and themed. If you are in Cape Town you must pop in and have a look

Reviewed 4 May 2014

We originally booked one of the trailers on the roof and within 20secs of being in it requested a real room. I was all up for something different but these were awful. If youre 4ft and like dirty, cramped, noisy and neglected rooms then the trailers are for you!

Staff lack of enthusism Cleanliness Awful view Filthy kitchen Internet connection was dire Zero atmosphere, due to lack of customers It doesn’t know what it is, maybe a new management would help and focus on the basics. There are SO many hotels & B&Bs in Cape Town that are so much better. Just putting this down to a lesson learned and don’t trust hotel websites

Room Tip: Avoid the disgusting trailers
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jamie H
Bryony S, General Manager at Grand Daddy Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at the Grand Daddy Hotel. We welcome all feedback as it allows us to continually monitor and improve our standards & service offering

I am very sorry that the Airstream Trailers were not an experience you enjoyed & am disappointed to hear that your found our staff enthusiasm lacking - what saddens me the most is that you did not bring this to either my or to the manager on duty's attension, if you had, we would have been able to rectify the things you found lacking or disappointing and to ensure your stay with us was as enjoyable as you expected it to be.

Bryony Schultz

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Nothing about the Grand Daddy was actually bad, but it certainly didn't make me think "Wow - this is great". The room I stayed in on the second floor was a bit dark, and not particularly big. The staff were friendly enough, but virtually everybody I came across in South Africa was friendly anyway, so nothing unexpected there!
The most memorable thing for me was the dinner I had the first night - three courses including a fabulous 300g fillet steak, and a few glasses of a very nice house red, all for about £25.
Breakfast in the morning in the same restaurant area was, sadly, not so good (when it eventually arrived).

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor regarding your stay at the Grand Daddy Hotel.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your dinner in L'Apero so much but disappointed that you were not wowed by the rest of your stay. We will take all your comments under advisement and while we cannot do anything about the location of the rooms we can definitely improve on delivery time on our breakfast and work on creating that wow experience through other areas.
It is lovely to read that you experienced friendly service from all South African people you came into contact with! That is great feedback for the country in general.
Bryony