“Funky, clever, great value and a fab location on Long Street”
Review of Grand Daddy Hotel

Grand Daddy Hotel
Ranked #56 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Watamu, Kenya
“Funky, clever, great value and a fab location on Long Street”
Reviewed 2 March 2010

The Grand Daddy Hotel in Cape Town certainly look impressive on its website and I am pleased to say it didn't disappoint. Firstly its a great location - Long Street in Cape Town may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I loved the bars, restaurants, boutiques and its very urbane with a a slightly edgy atmosphere - think Darlinghurst in Sydney. The Grand Daddy really does feel like the Grand Dame of the street, its small enough to be boutique and the rooms are spacious and stylish. The bathroom is very good - great lightening, nice products and I slept well on the very comfortable bed. The only thing I could fault was the WIFI connection - you had to pay which is a pain and it was very slow. Oh and I forgot to mention the upstairs bar - postcard/twitter and FB worthy - it certainly highlighted the funky approach. I will certainly be back - one cool hotel!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
london
Reviewed 27 February 2010

My second time in just over a year at the Grand Daddy. Once again, very cool place, lovely staff and such a great central location, short drive to V&A and right on top of all the action of Long Street. I would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 17 February 2010

We went to Cape Town for a little weekend get-a-way so the rooftop trailers were perfect (wouldn't want to stay for more than a couple days as they are small). We knew going in that they were vintage trailers and were kitchy. So it was a fun experience. The rooftop bar was great to have a drink before going out to dinner, and they closed at 9pm so didn't keep us up. The only meal we ate at the hotel was breakfast and thought it was tastey. All service was great. The only bad thing was that the bathroom door was broken and wouldn't stay closed, neither of the ceiling vents/fans worked (not a big deal as there was air-con), but like any hotel you expect things to be in perfect working order.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2010

We spent the last night of a two week trip in the Afro Funk trailer, one of a number of trailers on the top floor of the Grand Daddy hotel having read about it in a travel magazine and city guide.

The trailer we stayed in was nicely decorated and as would be expected, small. The bed, shower, bathroom, TV and fridge are all on the small side to fit in, but we knew what we were getting and really enjoyed our night being 'trailer park trash'! We managed to get all our luggage in, but of course would have had a lot more space if we just had weekend bags!

The hotel is located in Long Street in the City Bowel and has a great selection of restaurants and bars nearby. The hotel itself has a number of bars and a restaurant to chose from. We enjoyed our complimentary drink on the roof top bar which was rather surreal amongst the trailers. You can see Table Mountain from the roof too (was so nice to wake up with a bit of a view) and can look down on the action of Long Street.

Staff are friendly and helpful and knowledgeable about the area. I'd recommend the trailers for a night or two as something different and fun. A great thing to tell your friends about too!

Stayed January 2010
London
Reviewed 17 January 2010

Bang slap in the middle of Long Street with Cape Town's bars on your doorstep, Grand Daddy is perfectly placed for a few nights out on the town. It also offers a rather unique sleeping expeience as we decided to stay in one of their trailers placed on the roof of the building. These rather cool, if small trailers are great fun. Each one is decked out individually and offer great (if slightly obscured) views of Table mountain as you open your door in the morning. The hotel is staff are friendly and enthusiastic, there is small rooftop bar, larger blingy bar on the first floor and a chilled cafe / dinner on the ground floor. The only draw back with the trailers are the size. I think I would go stir crazy if I stayed more than a few nights and the bed was certainly cozy plus I had to crouch to get under the shower (and I'm not even six foot!). Overall though a great experience and if you fancy something fun and different at a decent price, I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 24 November 2009

This must be the highlight of my trip to Southern Africa. I stayed at The Grand Daddy for 4 nights being a Wednesday to Saturday. I spent 2 nights in The Rooftop Trailer Park and 2 nights in the suites on the 2nd floor. The bar is super cool - there was live music every night, on Thursday the rooftop cinema opens and my ticket was free as I stayed in a caravan. On Friday there was also a free concert on the roof. Watching a movie on the rooftop sipping a cold beer was a special moment. The vibe is good, staff went out of their way to assist me - the rooms are comfortable and clean, my caravan was en-suite with a queen sized bed and certainly very different. Overall I really enjoyed my stay and will definitely be back. If you're looking for an exciting and fun hotel with creative décor this is the place to stay.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple