“Brilliant Location, Good Service in the Heart of the City” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Daddy Hotel

Grand Daddy Hotel
Ranked #57 of 106 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Singapore
“Brilliant Location, Good Service in the Heart of the City”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2010

I stayed at Grand Daddy hotel for 3 nights from 16 - 19 June 2010 for work - we were a group of 23 who were watching the World Cup. Rooms were beautiful, large and clean - beds were extremely comfortable. Location was EXCELLENT - yes, it was a bit noisy as we were located on Long Street due to the World Cup buzz. We provided feedback to the management next morning and they kindly brought 2 sets of earplugs to every room. Free of charge.

Upon arrival, we were warmly greeted at reception. A group member accidentally knocked over a vase in the lobby - and the front staff were so nice about it. They were concerned if he was hurt, then got a cleaner straightaway and sorted it out without any fuss. Very well handled.

Restaurant service was slow at times (as one kitchen provided food to 3 venues) - and we were served dinner 1.5 hours late even though we pre-ordered meals. The hotel manager handled the situation very well. He apologised profusely, waived all dinner charges and had all meals sent up to our rooms, provided a complimentary lunch before we left. Service during the other meals were perfect. I loved the hot breakfast served up every morning!

I read a few other reviews and disagree that staff expected tips and were unappreciative -we experienced the opposite of that. Staff were extremely hospitable and looked after our group very well, even though we kept them busy! The front desk staff even gave us several complimentary internet vouchers upon arrival and throughout the trip (although it was one per guest), and itemised our bills upon request. Most importantly, they communicated requests to one another (as I was picking up tabs for certain incidentals charged to various rooms throughout the trip - and they organised it very well).

They also provided me with a full room list of my group members upon request, reserved tables at the restaurant for us without asking, porters helped with luggage very willingly. They were helpful and kind.

Overall, my group had a wonderful experience. I thank Grand Daddy Hotel for making the trip a memorable one for us! Location was safe and festive. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2010

We loved Grand Daddy Hotel! We stayed in an airstream trailer on the roof. It was so different, and so much fun! There is a bar and a movie screen up there, and there was live music that night too. The staff was very helpful, and the restaurant attached at the bottom was lovely! Plus...the hotel is right on Long Street, which is a great place to eat and enjoy the nightlife of Cape Town!

Fergus
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2010

I would have liked to stay here. In fact I tried to book one of the trailers for a stay in August 2010. I sent 2 emails enquiring about availability and asking about facilities. Both emails were read but I received no reply. Because I had my heart set on staying here I also sent the contents of the email in a fax. No reply. I finally called last week - I was placed on hold and after about 4-5 minutes was disconnected. Perhaps it is for the best - the reviews have not been great and if this hotel is not interested in taking my reservation and my money - they will likely be less interested in providing good customer service after I have paid. Shame - the place looks like it has potential.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
New York, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2010

Grand Daddy clearly aims to be the hippest, trendiest four-star hotel on Long Street, and while on the surface it looks slick and like it might live up to its (own) billing, they just don't have their sh** together nearly as much as they think they do... or as much as they should.

I'm a reasonable person with reasonable expectations, but at $200+ a night we were hoping for more than sporadically reliable and occasionally friendly staff, a room really close to the elevator (with its creaky, squeeky sliding door) when the hotel was clearly at less than 50% occupancy, and a somewhat cramped, but clean, room.

A few notes:

- Considering valet is a ridiculous 56 Rand per night--most four-star hotels in and around Cape Town provide free parking for guests--it'd be great if there was some kind of organized system for dropping off the car. The basement parking lot the hotel uses is often full, so you're left illegally parking in front of the hotel whilst you run in and try to grab somebody so they can drive it over to some other lot nearby.

Again, as mentioned in the previous review, the guys basically stick out their hand out and wait for their tip. I tip, always, but it's annoying when it's absolutely expected and totally unappreciated.

- Upon check-in we were given two free drink coupons, which was great. Not so great and a little unscrupulous? At the shared computer in the lobby, there's a sign encouraging guests to write "an honest review" of the hotel on TripAdvisor during their stay to get another free drink coupon. TACKY, especially for a "four-star" hotel.

Speaking of drinks, the bartenders in the Daddy Cool bar are just jerks. Simple as that, and yes, they can't *wait* to see how much you tipped them; I was tipping 10 Rand per drink, or a little more than $1US, which is the standard tip in bars across New York City. Apparently the guys at Daddy Cool deserve more than bartenders get in NYC because they didn't seem to appreciate the tips. Unprofessional.

- Trailer park on the roof is a cool idea, but I'd think twice about shelling out even more money than you will just to stay in a standard double. Not much privacy, and some of the trailers looked rather cramped.

- There aren't really anyt bars/restaurants open within a few blocks in either direction at night, and since the rest of Long Street has so much security, it felt like the sketchballs drifted down towards the hotel. Not a huge huge deal, but I was mildly accosted once and didn't always feel totally comfortable walking back all the way down Long to the hotel.

- Like free parking, most if not all four-star hotels offer free wi-fi to guests, but Grand Daddy charges. Silly.

All in all, we wouldn't stay here again, and given the number of other nicer, and cheaper, options in this category, I simply can't recommend Grand Daddy. As you'll see with the below reviews, the Grand Daddy staff loves to respond to reviews and dispute grievances, so I wouldn't be shocked if they did the same thing here. Trust me, though, you can do better in Cape Town.

1 Thank WLegg
GrandDaddyHotel, General Manager at Grand Daddy Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2010
We are very sorry about the service you received. We do value and care for each and every guest and we strive to make it special however it is evident that this was not the case in this instance. We do respond to all feedback and it very seriously as a means to improve.

We do believe that responding to our guests concerns is important so we can let you know how we can work with it. We try not to ‘dispute’ grievances but rather tackle them in the best interest of our guests. We would however like to apologise if we have offended you on this matter.
RE: valet – yes this is a problem considering being an inner city hotel. We try work with it as best we and have tried eagerly to make use of the yellow section in front of the hotel but with no luck. We are looking at other parking bays closer to the hotel.
RE: Trip advisor free drink offering –We were finding a way to incentivise people to write their ‘honest’ comments. We do understand that Guest Feedback is crucial for prospective guests – Good and bad. We have removed this with immediate effect as it is not our wish to offend our guests.
RE: tipping – this is shocking and certainly not something we are proud of. Thank you for bringing this to our attention as it does need to be dealt with. This goes for bar and porters and all staff. A tip is certainly NOT expected. It is a gift!
RE: staying here again. – if you do ever consider to revisit, we will do our utmost to make it special for you.

Again, I would like to take this opportunity to really apologise for a stay that was certainly below expectations.

Kind Regards
Sergio Dreyer
NYC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2010

We were really excited to stay at the Grand Daddy -- it sounded like such a cool place. And, at $200US per night, we were expecting a decidedly upscale experience.

A few comments on our stay:

--The biggest disappointment we had was with the inconsistent service. One of the front desk girls was very nice and efficient, but others we dealt with were not. For example, one morning, we found we had no caffeinated coffee packets in our room (just decaf). We called the front desk, and the girl there said that if we wanted caffeinated coffee, we could come down to the cafe to get it. So, in a supposedly 4* hotel, we were to come down to the lobby in our bathrobes to get our own coffee packs?! This is an entirely inappropriate response. (On a related note, we never got the complimentary cookies or the caffeinated coffee restocked during our 4-day stay.)

--Another example of the bad service was the staff at Daddy Cool bar. We found the staff here to be surly and downright rude. All four waiters/bartenders would just stare at us when we went to the bar -- as if we weren't quite cool enough to be there -- and then served us very coldly. One night we were there enjoying cocktails and were told the bar was closing -- at 10pm (it's open until 10:30, I believe, especially with drinking patrons there...?). On two separate occasions, too, our server took the check and opened it on the way back to the bar to see what kind of tip we'd left him, and then didn't thank us when we left. They just seemed quite rude and tip-hungry, overall. Not a pleasant experience.

--Our room was small, but clean, with a comfy bed and big towels. We had a room on Long Street, which was not as loud at night as we thought it might be. The problem, however, is that our room was right next to the elevator, and so we heard the door squeaking and slamming from 6am to 1am every day (it sounded like the elevator was in our room). Since the hotel was half empty, we weren't sure why we'd been placed next to the elevator, as people must have complained about this in the past?

-The bathrooms are very clean, with great products, but were quite cramped, and the showers, because of a weird moving glass door, continually leak water, so the floor remains wet.

--I know that this hotel is supposed to have a prime location on Long Street... and it kind of does. But it's a few blocks off the lively part of Long, and those are three long, dark blocks when you're walking alone back to the hotel at night. I was hassled on multiple occasions walking from or to the hotel after dark. This isn't entirely the hotel's fault, but perhaps some more prominent security out front would be helpful.

Overall, we got a sense that this hotel was just a bit too big for its britches, and was too proud of itself for being one of the few trendy hotels in Cape Town. These are a dime a dozen where we're from in NYC, so it just wasn't enough to impress us.

I think Grand Daddy would be better off marketing itself as a boutique hotel -- with corresponding prices in the $130 range -- instead of a luxury hotel, as this would make it much easier to satisfy guests. If I had paid less, and expected less, I probably would have been totally happy with this hotel. As it stands, though, I was disappointed with the rooms, the location, and, most of all, the service.

1 Thank trixiethomson
GrandDaddyHotel, General Manager at Grand Daddy Hotel, responded to this review, 28 June 2010
We would like to take this opportunity to apologise for a stay that was for below expectations. It is evident that yourself and your travel partner (who has written his feedback in the review below) where less than happy with your stay at the Grand Daddy. We have endeavoured to contact your partner directly to confirm what we can do to rectify a stay that has been very much below expectations.

Our guests are our passion and our team work hard to try and offer excellent 5* service. We have done intensive service training with our staff and will continue. Your feedback has however showed us the areas we must focus on and we thank you for this.

Please allow me the opportunity to also explain that the inconsistency in service mentioned below did relate to a misunderstanding where the girl did not understand the request as she should have. This is by no means an excuse and we are currently working on improving communication practices with our guests through using the right leading questions.

There is no excuse for the service at the bar and they are certainly on the list to tackle so thank you for this!

Rather than being perceived as a ‘trendy’ hotel, we would like to be perceived as a ‘real’ place away from home where people can enjoy the amenities of the hotel and the city around. We are situated on one of the most vibey streets in Cape Town however we are on the quieter end. It is a safe and easy walk around the city by day however we do advise the use of taxi or own transport by night.

We do hope that your less than average stay with us did not impact too much on your visit to our beautiful city, Cape Town and we trust you will visit the city again.

Kind Regards
Sergio Dreyer

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2010

Hotel is contemporary and fun. The front desk staff was very helpful with problems. I hosted a dinner in the Cafe and found the food quite good. The service staff was excellent. It was a very good stay.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2010

We stayed here for a couple of nights at the beginning of our trip to South Africa. When we reserved a room we made use of the facility to simultaneously book the hotel’s transfer service. We received an e-mail from the hotel confirming our reservation of both the room and the private transfer and requesting our flight details, which we provided. The day before our departure I e-mailed the hotel reminding them of our arrival the next day and confirming our flight details and expected arrival time. When we arrived weary at the airport there was no car to meet us. After waiting some time I phoned the hotel on the number provided on the e-mails I had received. Apparently this number gets you through to the ‘hotel group’ but not this hotel itself. I waited (quite some time) while I was transferred through to the Grand Daddy and eventually spoke to a receptionist who clearly knew nothing of any transfer but said he would contact the driver and phone me back - he didn’t. I eventually phoned him back and was told the car was en-route to the airport. Having been to CT before I know how long it takes to get to the airport so having waited a reasonable length of time I then phoned the hotel back (again) and was then told the driver had to go on another call but was now on his way. By this time we had been waiting at the airport about an hour, so I told them to forget it and we jumped in a taxi. Once at the hotel there was no apology for the error and I had to ask for the cost of the prepaid transfer to be refunded - it was not offered. The refund was given, but does not make up for the inconvenience and the fact that the cost of the calls from my mobile in order to sort the mess out was over £15.
I was also unimpressed with the complete lack of information given to us about Cape Town and the immediate area of the hotel. We didn’t particularly need it but a first time visitor would, and nobody knew that we weren’t; they didn’t ask and we got the impression they didn’t really care.
We chose this hotel for the location. We did not wish to hire a car as we were initially in CT for only 2 nights before flying on elsewhere, so we wanted to be in the middle of it all. From that point of view it worked out well; we were within walking distance of a few restaurants on Long Street in the evening and plenty to see within a short walk for one full day.
The rooms were fine and really clean. Nothing special at all though - the ‘designer touch’ this hotel makes much of is barely evident in the double rooms and I would say they are on a par with what you would expect to find in any decent 4* hotel.
Where the style is evident is in the public areas - the rooftop is a great area with a bar and a small stage which often has live music on, as it did when we stayed. The Airstream trailers add a quirky touch. We enjoyed pre dinner drinks up there and it was a great atmosphere. I’m not so sure the guests staying in the trailers would feel the same though; very little privacy with people sitting and standing, drinking and chatting directly outside the doors and windows of the trailers. We also enjoyed the Daddy Cool bar; very stylish but relaxed.
Unfortunately for this hotel, the main positives are all about the public areas, which you could visit wherever you are staying. The location was great for our needs but some visitors may find the Long Street area a little ‘edgy’.
If you want a reasonable room at a reasonable price in a central location this place isn’t too bad, but don’t expect great service, don’t rely on their private transfer and don’t believe their hype.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
SergioDreyer, General Manager at Grand Daddy Hotel, responded to this review, 10 May 2010
The management of the Grand Daddy would like to apologise for the negative transfer experience. We outsource our transfers and it seems that in this instance we were let down by the service provider. We no longer use this particular company.