“This is an OK place to eat.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hildebrand - CLOSED

Hildebrand
Cuisines: Seafood, Italian
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, View, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“This is an OK place to eat.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

It was very quiet on the night we went in, not many customers. The selection of food was OK, and we found something we liked. The service was good and the food was well presented and tasty.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Heather L

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Don't bother!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

I went for lunch at the Hildebrand yesterday with my husband & 2 friends, and it was absolutely awful. The restaurant wasn't even half full but the service was basically non-existant. Had to ask 4 times for bread for the table, eventually asked one of the managers, who brought it out about 15 minutes later, but with no butter?! Table for 4, but no cutlery or crockery on it. The food was disgusting. I ordered the peri-peri chicken livers, and had to send them back because they were raw! When my replacement portion arrived, those were raw too, and when I complained to the manager I was told it's because of the way they are cooked in the chilli sauce....The "garlic" bread that accompanied the meals was stale. We will most certainly not be returning!

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank Lisa M
Roeland Park, Kansas
“Great value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

A group of colleagues and I tried Hildrebrand on a weeknight in July 2014. It was a little difficult to locate after the hotel shuttle dropped us off in front of the V&A Waterfront Mall. But after asking a few different people, we managed to locate the restaurant. We sat by a window, which offered nice views of the harbor. We enjoyed the three-course fixed price menu accompanied by two adult beverages each. At the end of the evening, the bill came to about US$20 each. It was a great value.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Lynn L
Antibes, France
“Think once then run away...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Food is a celebration. Well, it should be... Except at Hildebrand Restaurant. Two many styles in one place. From an apparently Italian to an apparently sea food restaurant, only the poor quality of the food wasn't apparent. An apparently grilled fish as per the menu was a pan fried one, drowning in burnt butter. Fried calamari resembled those one can get in an airport fast food in a country with no access to the sea. Mussel shells opened the way they should, but why would the mussel inside the shell also split into two as if committing suicide by throwing itself on a samurai sword? All this followed by a "Sir, you must leave a 10% gratuity"... Do I? I always do... Usually more... Unless I am asked to do so... Well, I should be happy... I did not get food poisoned. Then again, if food is a celebration, I would rather avoid eating there again.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank maciekwyganowski
Kenmore, Washington
“A nice and good place to eat ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

The pasta is good. The caprese is fair and salad dressing was so so. Service was excellent and friendly. Although the place was nearly empty due to it being off season.

1 Thank Dwight T