“A wonderful B & B”

The Cape Colonial
Ranked #98 of 156 Cape Town Central B&B and Inns
“A wonderful B & B”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

We stayed at the cape colonial for 3 nights and I would highly recommend this beautiful B & B. The rooms were clean and well presented and perfect for what we needed. This B & B was perfectly located to access the main city and all the sights of Cape Town. We had a hire car and could always park in the same road and were informed the road had 24 hour security so we had no concerns for our vehicle during our stay. Rod and Sabine are wonderful hosts and recommended some great restaurants where we had lovely meals, they were both full of helpful advice and suggestions that made our visit to Cape Town perfect. If we returned to Cape Town we would be back to The Cape Colonial

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

I stayed at this guest house for just 1 night. I was collected at the airport promptly by Tania who links in with a number of places. This cost 250R. The room was very comfortable, nice bed, good sized bathroom, TV. I was able to get the red top bus close by for a whistle stop tour of cape town before I moved onto the Garden Route. The place seems secure too.
It is a quiet location but seemed none the less near to attractions I wanted to see and the bus takes you right round the amazing table monutain cable car.
Breakfast was nice and there is the option to eat outside.
Unfortunatley on paying I left my credit card in the machine, leaving it behind, probably a joint error. I got an email from the proprietor later that day and they sent it to me by courier to where I was staying a while.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Bruges, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

Unfortunately I got hospitalised after the first night (nothing to do with The Capa Colonial, i hasten to add - a bug I caught back home). Rod helped to reschedule the holiday plans of my travel companion so that at least she had a great stay. I stayed for only 2 nights, but found the room + bathroom very comfortable, clean and large.

Room Tip: Very quiet and safe neighbourhood.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Casablanca, Morocco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

I was in The Cape Colonial by the ed of February 2013 for 5 days. The building in an old Victorian house and Rod, the owner, is really helpful.
Breakfast is really good and complete.
The rooms (especially the room downstairs) is perfect! After 2 weeks camping in South Africa, having such confortable mastress was like sleeping in heaven!
I would strongly recommend this B&B not only for the building, but also for Rod and his sweet staff that was attentioned!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

Stayed here as I needed somewhere central for work, and it offers great rates for single travellers. I was working all during my stay and the dining area made for a perfect place to set up my laptop and beaver away all day and evening. The hosts were charming and accommodating, and served a great breakfast. They were at the property on and off during the day, and if you needed them you could buzz them.

My room didn't have any sort of view, but was comfortable, roomy, and had Victorian charm. In fact, the whole house did. Would definitely recommend to others. Note it is however a B&B/guesthouse, not a hotel with stacks of facilities - i.e. no aircon, no phones in the rooms, no minibars, no receptionist/concierge. It suited me down to the ground as I'm an independent sort, wasn't in town to do anything touristy, and had my own car, but others who are looking for more facilities/assistance/help calling cabs, etc may want to look elsewhere.

Room Tip: There are only a handful of rooms, so take what they have. I had a twin bed room on the side of the...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank R P
Knysna, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2013

During the beginning of April 2013 (autumn in South Africa) I stayed at the Cape Colonial Guest House in Gardens, Cape Town. The exact address is: 13 Union Street. I stayed for one night only as I had to attend a meeting in Cape Town, close to the Company Gardens. My internet search indicated many possible hotels, guest houses and b&bs in the area. However, the name (Cape Colonial) sounded good and pictures on the internet persuaded me to book the last available of the rooms for the night.

In my reviews of hotels/guesthouses/b&b and restaurants I always try to be fair and honest to all stakeholders who may be influenced by such a review. These stakeholders would include: potential guests, the owners, the community (who may depend on the institution for jobs) and so on. I therefore limit myself to describing only five positive features of the institution as well as only five negatives of it. This also keeps me from using this forum as a way of getting back at whoever or whatever has not been up to my expectations! Or to rave about a hotel etc because of something that I really liked.

So here is my list of positives and negatives of the Cape Colonial B&B:

POSITIVES

Ease of making a booking online
Location close to the CBD
Relatively easy to find (just off De Waal Drive and behind the well-known Mount Nelson Hotel)
Linen
Size of the bathroom

NEGATIVES
Interior design (the guesthouse really lacks any type of personality)
Old sigarette butts in ashtrays on the only two tables outside
Placement of the television in bedroom (number 6) makes it impossible to watch television
Parking in the very narrow street (if you can find parking)
Lack of any green spaces (even the tiny garden in front is covered in cement)

The ultimate question to me is always: Will I recommend this place to my family, friends and colleagues. I also limit myself to either a ‘no’ or a ‘yes’. In this case, the answer is a ‘no’. For R 80 (about 9 euros) a night more, I would rather recommend the Tintagel Guest House, just around the corner from The Cape Colonial. The Tintagel has inside parking, large and beautifully decorated bedrooms, large bathrooms, televisions that you can watch, lovely breakfasts, green spaces where you can sit … and even some sherry on arrival!

The Cape Colonial certainly has potential to be changed into something with personality. It has high ceilings and features that can be turned into something spectacular ... But it is currently a smelly, poorly-decorated place that typifies the cliche of a building that 'has potential'.

Room Tip: Rooms face directly onto another building with no privacy inside the rooms.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank pietersmit1
Rod S, Manager at The Cape Colonial, responded to this review, 23 May 2013
We are sorry that Pieter did not enjoy his 1-night stay with us.
The Cape Colonial is a late-Victorian semi-detached town house with many original features such as high pressed ceilings, original fireplaces and stained-glass windows with, we think, as well as many of our guests, loads of character. We do not have “green spaces” and nowhere do we say that we do. We do have a pleasant painted patio where guests can relax and enjoy a drink form our honesty fridge. We have street parking with 24-hour security in the area.
“Poorly-decorated” is, of course, a matter of taste but “smelly” is a comment we reject completely
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

I stayed at the Cape Colonial at the end of an overland tour, and, after weeks of camping was very impressed with the level of comfort, standard of breakfast and the warm, friendly and welcoming owner and lady who worked there. Her name escapes me now but she was so nice. It's also in a great location within walking distance of Long St and some very good local bars and restaurants. Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo