“Trendy, so-so”
Review of Societi Bistro

Societi Bistro
Ranked #66 of 1,196 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Price range: US$6 - US$21
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Casual and informal bistro in Gardens, Cape Town with an a great little bar, "The Snug".
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We ate here on the advice of our concierge, and found it to be one of our least favorite restaurants in South Africa. It is definitely trendy, a cute place with small areas for dining- somewhat intimate. So the atmosphere itself was quite nice. The wine selection was good as well. We started with the mussels and caesar salad. Both were good- nothing to write home about, but fine. For mains, I had the Maybe Corpaci- again, good, but nothing particularly special about it. My husband wanted kingklip but they didn't have that, so the waiter suggested the yellowtail fish. My husband specifically said that he liked mild fish, and wanted to be sure the yellowtail wasn't too 'fishy'. The waiter said it was mild and if we liked kingklip, we would like yellowtail. When the meals were brought to our table, the yellowtail was put in front of me, and I caught a whiff of very strong smelling fish. Happy it wasn't mine, I told our server that it was my husband's. He took one bite and said it tasted as strongly as it smelled. (It wasn't bad fish- someone who likes a strong fish taste would have loved it...we were simply upset that we had said we liked mild fish). When my husband motioned the server over and told him he couldn't eat the fish, the waiter seemed a bit put out. He brought the menu over so my husband could choose something else, but at that point I was sharing my pasta dish with him, and he really couldn't find anything else he particularly wanted on the menu (there are some odd selections....marrow!). The manager did come over and she was very gracious about the misunderstanding, apologized profusely, and did take the fish off our bill. The highlight of the evening was dessert - the chocolate nemesis was to die for. Don't miss out on it. The Don Pedros with amarula were also delicious. So, we'd come back for dessert and drinks, but probably not for dinner.

2  Thank divetravel

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Had two amazing evenings in this cosy restaurant. Especially enjoyed the weekly special menu and the variety of wines you can indulge in. We also liked the vivid and young ambience. Would recommend it for everyone staying in Cape Town.

1  Thank schach12
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We sat by the fire try the Mushroom Risotto its to die for!Such great service, Food and Ambience. Lally(Sorry about the spelling) Was amazing

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Food was great, just needs a bit more variety. The night we went it was lovely hot and clear. Its nice to sit outside under the stars. Wine menu is very good. The kitchen fell behind, which was a bit of a let down, but these things happen to the best of us, I forgive you, and you will definitely see me again!

1  Thank ChefCarlo28
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

An interesting experience here. We made a reservation and the service started off well. Good selection of food and introduction to the specials. That's where things went slightly out of touch with reality. It seemed expected that wine would be ordered and we got an odd response to asking about other choices. I tried a steak special which turned out to be a bit tough. My wife order the arabiatta penne pasta, requested fettuccine be substituted, was told it could be done only to get penne. There was nothing special about either dish. I should probably by trying one of their house dishes before I pass judgment there, but the service was just odd.

1  Thank TravelCov