“Gold - This is Africa”

Price range: US$0 - US$34
Cuisines: African
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Tuck in to a 14-dish set tasting menu inspired by dishes from all over the African continent. Learn to play the djembe drums with one of our patient, friendly facilitators. Enjoy live African entertainment with stories told through music and dance.
Reviewed 10 December 2017 via mobile

A must visit restaurant if your are visiting Cape Town. A real entertaining restaurant that reflects the Spirit of Africa. The drums and dance performances keeps you enthralled.

The ambience is great. The staff are very friendly and customer oriented. They offer facial painting to match the ambience and to give you the African connect. The food is authentic African. Every dish is explained in detail. Very well made and presented. Veggies have limited options.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,554)

Reviewed 3 December 2017 via mobile

I booked this resto in September as I was told it will be booked up well in advance! At first, I didn’t want to book it because of the reviews that it is “touristy”. I am so happy I went because it was the best time I had in ZA! So many dishes and I couldn’t finish it all! The live entertainment was amazing! They gave me a special shout out during their performance and I will never forget it! It was honestly a great time! I had Yvonne as my server. She was attentive and friendly. Thanks Gold Restaurant! Hope to come back!

Reviewed 28 November 2017

We were recommended to visit Gold by a local to experience a variety of African food and some cultural dancing. Yes it's a bit touristy, but it's carried out with such energy and professionalism it makes for a great evening out.

The food is simple and comes from across the continent giving you an opportunity to try a variety of dishes. The singing and dancing is an unexpected treat and adds colour and vibrancy to the evening. Customer service is exceptional, and it's good value as an all round thing - don't miss out - enjoy! we loved it!

Reviewed 26 November 2017 via mobile

Wow, staff is the nicest! So much love, music, enthusiasm in what is done.

Definitely touristy,but worth it. Food is good, music is amazing... whole african experience.

Be sure you get a reservation, tones of tours come in. We were very lucky there was a 2 people table in a corner and they accommodated us. They were so sweet.

Reviewed 25 November 2017 via mobile

I am generally skeptical of tourist destination dinner spots, but Gold changes the paradigm. This is not the top restaurant but it is a very good tourist destination, it checks both of those boxes and promised a wonderful evening.

We were greeted by a wonderful staff dressed in traditional Western Africa clothing. Our evening started with a 30 minute drumming lesson ( starts at 6:30 and needs to be prearranged. Highly recommended). After our lesson a multi course prefix menu was presented family style. The food was very good, again more than you expect. Three times during our dinner the service was stopped and we enjoyed intervals of traditional dance.

As I have said, this is a tourist destination and not in the fine dinning category but definite a top tourist destination. For one night, you can combine food and entertainment.