“A night at The Taj”

Ranked #15 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“A night at The Taj”
Reviewed 17 October 2011

Our evening at The Taj, Cape Town was nothing short of excellent. From arriving at the hotel, valet parking was completely seamless the valet attendants were warm and welcoming and worked together like a Formula One pit crew ;o). Check was done by the very efficient Quanita, who took our details and gave us a brief orientation of the hotel. On showing us The Bombay Brasserie Restaurant (the Taj's fine dining in-house Indian restaurant) she commented that she was aware that we would be dinning out that night and would we require a hotel transfer or directions to our chosen restaurant. This small detail and awareness of our plans during our stay was a wonderful touch. On being shown our room (Quanita took the time to do this personally) we were greeted with a welcome message on the television, another outstanding touch of caring.

Throughout our stay the staff were friendly, aware and willing to make our stay as comfortable as possible without being intrusive. Breakfast was a fantastic selection of delicious A la Carte and buffet delights and check out was as as smoothly executed as we had now become accustomed to.

If you are looking for a superb restful welcoming business or leisure stay in Cape Town there is no better choice than the Taj Cape Town.

As a final word the hotel has the most comfortable beds of any hotel I have had the experience of staying at. It feels like home and I will be going back and recommending it to any visiting colleagues in the future.

Thank you to all staff and management you are doing a wonderful job. best wishes and congratulations

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cape Town
Reviewed 17 October 2011

These days it's quite difficult to experience an absolute stress free enjoyable night out. You can't afford to have an extra glass of wine because you driving or you subjected to the driving styles of your taxidriver who fancies himself as a lost rally racing talent. Booking a hotel walking distance to you restaurant is the best alternative and how lucky we were to have The Taj hotel a block away from Haiku. From the moment we stopped outside, we were greeted by every staff member that we passed or passed us. Checking in was swift and in a flash you'll be enjoying the views of Cape Town from your room. The rooms are extremely clean and neat, contemporary and yet warm and cosy. My partner was very impressed with the Molton Brown toiletries and the menu of pillows (incase you need a firmer one). One of the highlights of my stay was the wake up call with coffee, giving you a homely feel on a easy Sunday morning.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Cleveland
Reviewed 16 October 2011

I stayed at the Taj Cape Town with my classmates from university for a 1-week residency. It was the perfect week and the staff of hotel with their personalized service certainly contributed to it so much. I loved the room with the huge bath tub. The view was great and Housekeeping always friendly when I met them. The breakfast gave many choices including ordering different dishes from the menu. The Spa treatment was amazing, never got such a long treatment (1 1/2 for massages and 1 hour for pedicure). All employees were so proactive and friendly - always with a smile. I can highly recommend to stay there and hope to return some day.

Room Tip: All rooms are great. The hotel is pretty new (opening in 2010)
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 9 October 2011

Stayed at the Taj for one night in October while travelling for work. Upon arrival the reception staff were friendly and helpful. I was shown to my room, which was very nicely decorated with a lovey big bed, huge bathroom with deep bath, seperate monsoon shower and Molton Brown toiletries (my favourite). During the stay I only dined on room service, but the food was good and service was swift. The mini bar seemed fairly priced, which surprised me for a hotel of this standard.

I used the indoor pool during my stay, which is just a small lap pool - I would have preferred a larger outdoor pool, maybe on the roof?

The view from my room was terrible - looking out onto another building with no view of anything else. This building was undergoing maintenance and there were noisy workmen outside most of the day.

Wifi is only free for 30 mins, or 200 rand for 24 hours - but it worked well.

I didnt appreciate a mini bar check at 10am on the morning, as I was still in bed! However, that was my only complaint.

The hotel was well located in the centre of town.

• Stayed October 2011
Reviewed 24 September 2011

I've stayed at the Taj three different times in the year or so after it opened and have nothing but rave reviews and positive experiences. No other hotel customizes their service to your style and way of being like Taj. The staff are second to none.

• Stayed July 2011
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 20 September 2011

I stayed at the Taj for six nights in one of their mountainview (Table Mtn) rooms. The room was so beautiful that my group was continually comparing our subsequent hotel rooms to this one. Both the hotel and rooms are filled with tasteful, modern decor and bedding (restful sleep). Great designer European shower and separate spa-like tub, fabulous Molton Brown toiletries... Front desk and restaurant service are just topnotch. My only tip: be sure to lock your valuables in the safe. I had a mishap but the management handled it so professionally and respectfully. I'd definitely return. This is definitely a 5-star hotel!

• Stayed September 2011
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed 16 September 2011

My husband and I and another couple just spent 4 wonderful nights at the Taj.
The hotel is fabulous with excellent service and luxurious rooms.
The location is downtown and a 10 minute drive to the Waterfront.
I would totally recommend the Taj to anyone going to Capetown.

Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends