“Great hotel with style and elegance”
Review of Taj Cape Town

Taj Cape Town
Ranked #15 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 15 April 2013

From the moment we checked in we could not have been treated better .... we were upgraded to a mountain view room which meant we woke up to stunning views of table Mountain. Awesome! The interior decor was elegant and stylish and the breakfats buffet extensive and tasty. The swimming pool was a bit disappointing as it was in a small dark room - but otherwise faultless. Pieter on the Concierge desk could not have been more helpful and arranged several great days out for us. The Wine Route and the Cape of Good Hope Tours must be done! The hotel is well located and cheap taxis can be caught down to the V and A for evening entertainment. Big tip is NOT to ask them to meet you at the airport -- taxis and shuttle buses can be picked up so easily for half the price (expect to pay about 200-220 R) You wont be disappointed

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
GeneralManagerTCT, General Manager at Taj Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2013

Dear JaimieQ
We are delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay at Taj Cape Town and we thank you for the feedback which I will be sharing with the team this morning. I will also convey your gratitude on to Pieter at our Concierge.

We trust that it will not be too long before we welcome you back to Taj Cape Town.

Kind Regards
Michael Pownall

Write a ReviewReviews (1,814)

Reviewed 15 April 2013

This is an amazingly luxurious hotel directly opposite the historical St. Georges Cathedral. Their in-house Bombay Restaurant serves the most amazing Indian Cuisine. The room was amazing and the service received is more than 5 star. We spend the weekend to celebrate my husbands weekend and this is a birthday that he will always remember.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear JulianaW
Thank you for the wonderful review and in particular the on our Bombay Brasserie Restaurant. You can be assured that I will be sharing this with my team this morning. It is only through feedback like yours we are able to benchmark our progress.

We certainly hope this will not be the only birthday celebration you will be spending with us. We hope to see you soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed 9 April 2013

This is a beautiful hotel, great facilities, luxurious rooms, great location, and definitely a hotel I'd return to. Most of the staff provided excellent service, especially the front desk personnel and the bell staff. There were just a couple of things that detracted from the overall experience. There seems to be a communication problem between the front desk and reservations. After listening to another guest who's room deposit had been incorrectly applied to someone else's account, we found that our reservation was inadvertently cancelled. Both situations were resolved quickly, but things just seemed to be a little disorganized.

Room Tip: Definitely a great place to stay!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
GeneralManagerTCT, General Manager at Taj Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2013

Dear valued Guest
Thank you for your feedback. It is important to receive all comments as this is used as a training tool, for our internal programme. I can assure you that the front desk agents as well as the reservations manager have addressed and put the necessary measures in place to ensure that incidents of this nature are not repeated.
We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Taj Cape Town.
Kind regards

Reviewed 9 April 2013

Shocking yes! because this here is a hotel that is very very beautiful in terms of its interior decor and amenities, but I am appalled that such an exquisite hotel could fail to deliver on service, hospitality... courtsey!

From the first day to the very last minute(and gosh I had to go through that ordeal for 5 whole days!), where at that point I couldn't stomach the horrible manners of the staff at the front desk and restaurant and the laissez-faire attitude of their seniors! WHAT A DISASTER OF A HOTEL! In fact, I sensed that with regards to the waitresses, either they're very ignorant about the world and their city, which is probably the most cosmopolitan in RSA) or they're downright uncouth! My fellow journos and I concluded that staff morale was an obvious problem, because if a whole team of people are going to display the same unbecoming behaviour then certainly it must have everything to do with the kind of working environment/conditions they find themselves subjected to, which pretty much exposes the weaknesses in the hotel's management. I spoke to two managers about my dissatisfactions, and I cannot say i was pleased with their responses either, there is a serious problem at that hotel!

Let me be so bold as to state, the front desk; a white male named Jo, and another female caucasian Colette/Nicolette were very dismissive and at times I felt they were in-fact plain racist! It is one thing to be busy and fast in how you help people, but it is something else to assist impatiently, without eye contact or even a forced smile at that!

In spite of all that, there were a few individuals that consoled my experience and one in particularly, did his job diligently, Mr Themba(concierge)!

I will not recommend this hotel, in as much as it is conveniently located in the centre of that very clean and relatively safe city!

Room Tip: I was on the 6th floor, and spent time in the upper floors with my colleagues as well, to enjoy the...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
MIPCapeTown, General Manager at Taj Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2013

9 April 2013
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of our hotel on Tripadvisor, it is only through detailed feedback like your own that we measure and improve our performance. Your positive comments have been forwarded to Themba, at the concierge.

Please accept our apologies for the failure to deliver on the Taj standards, that we pride ourselves on. We truly aspire to providing an exceptional Hotel experience to all our guests. I can assure you that your experience is certainly not at all typical to our establishment, and all details have been addressed with my executive management team and staff. You have clearly highlighted some concerning issues which is being addressed and the necessary training will be scheduled.

Whilst you have indicated that you will not return to our beautiful hotel, which I am saddened by, i would sincerely welcome the opportunity to restore your total confidence in the entire offering at Taj Cape Town, when planning your next trip I invite you to contact either my personal assistant Trish Humby, or myself, to make the necessary arrangements on your behalf, and I will personally ensure that your stay is memorable for all the right reasons.

We certainly hope that you we take up the offer and look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future

Best Regards

Reviewed 9 April 2013

We were upgraded to a suite upon arrival as my partner had requested anything the hotel could do to make the trip memorable as it was my 30th birthday celebration holiday during the pre-booking process. The suite was of a very high standard, and the hotel manager had arranged for a selection of birthday desserts to be sent up to the suite after we had checked in, this was a lovely thought. The hotel staff were extremely polite, friendly and very helpful. We really enjoyed the extensive range of breakfast options in the mornings, a great way to start the day! The hotel was perfectly located and within walking distance of Green Market Square and the restaurants and bars along Long Street. I would highly recommend staying at The Taj if you are planning a trip to the City.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Booked a weekend special here that was extremely good value for money. We were fortunate enough to be upgraded to a top floor room which had a great view over central Cape Town.

I originally was not convinced that the location (just off Wale street right in the heart of central Cape Town) would be a nice one, but was pleasantly surprised. The breakfast area is adjacent to a small square close by to the central church and the whole experience feels very European on a nice sunny morning. There was also a busy night market just outside the entrance to the hotel.

Rooms are modern and clean with nice bathrooms, linen and toiletries. The spa is great, though the facilities (steam room and mineral baths) are seperated into the male and female change rooms. The on site Bombay Brasserie serves excellent, authentic Indian that is hard to beat in Cape Town.

Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Taj Cape Town in March for a week. The hotel is excellent! The rooms are elegantly decorated. The customer service was excellent. The staff is very knowledgeable about all aspects of the business. Our tours were arranged with ease at convenient times. The hotel is well placed with a fantastic view of Table Mountain. The breakfast buffet had a vast amount of choice of items. It is very near to the train station. We had a wonderful vacation and when we return to Cape Town, the Taj will definitely be our first choice and we will certainly recommend the Taj to anyone planning to visit Cape Town.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple