My best friend and I stayed for a week at Taj CapeTown. We were on holiday to SA to celebrate our 50th and 70th birthdays. The experience at the Taj was grand from start to finish! On checkin, we were upgraded to a large corner suite. Waiting for us in the room were two wonderful homemade meringues topped with fresh fruit and "happy birthday" written in chocolate on edge of the plates, a wonderful bottle of SA red wine, and two gifts (book about SA and a photo collage of Taj in its prior life as a bank). The suite was comprised of a large living room area, a dining area, writing desk, flat screen tv, a balcony with a seating area, and a large sideboard with a minibar, large assortment of snacks, two types of coffee makers, etc. The bedroom was also very large and comfortable, and had its own balcony, flat screen tv. The kingsize bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever experienced. The bed linen and bathroom towels and robes were made by frette, and luxuriously soft. The bathroom was also large, with an oversized soaking tub, two sinks, separate rain shower. A bit disconcerting at first is the large picture window between the bedroom and bathroom, but the drawdown shade for privacy was easy to use. And, because of the spectacular view of table mountain out of both the bedroom and living room, we found that the privacy shade generally was not used! Molton brown bath products were a nice touch. There was also a huge walkin closet with ample space for clothes, which was appreciated given our weeklong stay. There were separate temperature controls for the two rooms. Perhaps our favorite aspect of our stay at the Taj was the service. It was very professional and efficient, while at the same time warm and friendly. From the ladies who serviced our room twice daily, to the bellman at the door, to the room service people, to the staff in both restaurants, to the front desk -- all were terrific! We had a few small complaints. The wifi internet service was on occasion a bit slow (but not always). And several of the tv channels (BBC and CNN, for example) would cut out for a couple a minutes about every 20-30 minutes. Also, the glass shower door did not seal perfectly so sometimes water would leak out. The food was generally good and very reasonably priced. We had the buffet breakfast at Mint restaurant every day (was part of our package). recommend in particular the omelets and wide selection of fresh fruits and cheese! The Indian restaurant, Bombay Brasserie, was one of the best Indian restaurants I have experienced, and I have been to many in Delhi, Mumbai, London, Kerala, etc. be sure to book way ahead because it fills up quickly, particularly on
Friday and Saturday nights. We did not eat at the other restaurant, Mint, except for breakfast, but virtually everything on Mint lunch and dinner menus are available from room service, as are a number of Indian dishes. Finally, the public areas were grand and spacious, just like the Taj Mahal palace in Mumbai. A small treat was the free pilotage wine tastings in a small area off of the main lobby. Regarding the central CapeTown location, most of the museums and historical sights are within easy walking distance. The SA parliament, the Company Gardens, St. George's Cathedral (Desmond tutu's church) are literally right across the street. Our one word of caution is not to walk around outside after dark, at least if you are two women, as most of huge business crowd clears outs around 6, so the area is a bit deserted in a mildly scary sort of way. However, we walked around a lot during the day and had no safety issues. the hotel also organizes a two hour guided walk around the city center most mornings. Bottom line: a true five star experience made extra special by the Taj for our birthday trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Taj Cape Town welcomes guests to the vibrant heart of the one of the world's most scenic and desirable cities, Cape Town. The hotel is a combination of rich history and elegant contemporary architectures. Originally home of the South African Reserve Bank and Temple Chambers and later the Board of Executors (BOE), it successfully combines the heritage of the old with the luxury of the new - a 100 years in history! This luxury hotel is perfectly located in the centre of historic Cape Town at the entrance of the famous pedestrian precinct, St George's Mall. It's prime location ensures a blend of fascinating history, exotic culture, soulful art, lively entertainment and delectable cuisine. - Within walking distance to most tourist attractions, monuments, museums, shopping, restaurants, markets and nightlife. Adding to this grand yet welcoming atmosphere are the two dining experiences, the Indian fine dine specialty restaurant, Bombay Brasserie and Mint, a relaxed all-day dining restaurant. Both are warm and welcoming and serve outstanding cuisine. Alongside this you'll find wonderful Champagne and tapas bar known as The Twankey Bar which is exceedingly popular with both locals and guests alike. Rooms are located in both the heritage buildings and the contemporary tower wing, but all continue to seamlessly merge history and modernity. Luxury Rooms have spectacular city or breathtaking mountain views overlooking the famous Table Mountain and the Taj Club Rooms and suites offer all the benefits of the executive Club Lounge including butler service, evening canapes, cocktails and private breakfast. One and Two Bedroom Suites are also available, perfect for the discerning traveller or for families. The award winning Jiva Grande Spa is one of its kind in Africa with unique and authentic wellness treatments and experiences. Also on offer is complimentary use of all wet areas, heated pool, and a high tech gymnasium. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, DerbySoftTaj, Southall Travel, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), TravelUp, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Taj Cape Town reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Taj Cape Town Hotel Cape Town Central
- Taj Cape Town South Africa