My wife and I stayed here for our first two nights on our first ever trip to S Africa. After an overnight flight we arrived early at around 9.30 and by 10.30 they had managed to get a room ready for us and enabled an early check in (at no extra charge). This typified the high levels of service that this hotel prides itself on. The staff were unfailing pleasant and helpful throughout. The main reception area has been converted from a former bank building and features soaring double height ceilings supported by marble pillars. Decor is similarly sumptuous and the whole place oozed class. Our room was large, complete with king size bed, a number of arm chairs, a lovely wooden writing table, a cabinet housing the well stocked honesty bar fridge and complimentary tea/coffee etc. The bathroom was also very large, with a massive walk in shower as well as a bath. After our long journey from the UK this was exactly what we needed.
The hotel is situated near the centre of the older part of Cape Town, at the bottom end of Company's Gardens and almost directly opposite bus stop 5 on the tourist red route bus service. It takes about 20 - 30 minutes of casual walking to/from the V&A waterfront, or a 10 minute taxi ride. This part of town is bustling during the day with open air markets lining the largely pedestrianised streets. Several of Cape Town's museums are also nearby. In the end we wished we could have stayed longer to explore these streets in more detail. At night the area is relatively quiet, but with a few bars and restaurants nearby. We ate in on our first night and the food was excellent.
Some might want to be a little closer to the tourist orientated activity at the V&A waterfront. But if you want to get a better feel for the true heart of the city, or just a little luxury to ease your travels, I cannot recommend this place highly enough.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Taj Cape Town welcomes guests to the vibrant heart of the one of the world's most scenic and desirable cities, Cape Town. The hotel is a combination of rich history and elegant contemporary architectures. Originally home of the South African Reserve Bank and Temple Chambers and later the Board of Executors (BOE), it successfully combines the heritage of the old with the luxury of the new - a 100 years in history! This luxury hotel is perfectly located in the centre of historic Cape Town at the entrance of the famous pedestrian precinct, St George's Mall. It's prime location ensures a blend of fascinating history, exotic culture, soulful art, lively entertainment and delectable cuisine. - Within walking distance to most tourist attractions, monuments, museums, shopping, restaurants, markets and nightlife. Adding to this grand yet welcoming atmosphere are the two dining experiences, the Indian fine dine specialty restaurant, Bombay Brasserie and Mint, a relaxed all-day dining restaurant. Both are warm and welcoming and serve outstanding cuisine. Alongside this you'll find wonderful Champagne and tapas bar known as The Twankey Bar which is exceedingly popular with both locals and guests alike. Rooms are located in both the heritage buildings and the contemporary tower wing, but all continue to seamlessly merge history and modernity. Luxury Rooms have spectacular city or breathtaking mountain views overlooking the famous Table Mountain and the Taj Club Rooms and suites offer all the benefits of the executive Club Lounge including butler service, evening canapes, cocktails and private breakfast. One and Two Bedroom Suites are also available, perfect for the discerning traveller or for families. The award winning Jiva Grande Spa is one of its kind in Africa with unique and authentic wellness treatments and experiences. Also on offer is complimentary use of all wet areas, heated pool, and a high tech gymnasium. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Indian Hotels Company Limited, Ebookers, Southall Travel, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Taj Cape Town reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Taj Cape Town Hotel Cape Town Central
- Taj Cape Town South Africa