“Disappointing Taj”
Review of Taj Cape Town

Taj Cape Town
Ranked #15 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Having stayed at numerous Taj properties around the globe, I was sorely disappointed at the service here. Luckily we only spent one night here. When pulled up to the hotel, no one tended to us. In fact, I had to seek out someone for help with parking and inform them that we were checking in. Once that was taken care of, we went to the reception area to check in where we were greeted with stone cold faces. Moving onto the concierge - the lady working the concierge desk was seemingly overwhelmed as she was the only one working the desk. She helped me with a couple of things but the lady next in line (loud American from the South) was yelling across the hotel (and into my ear) so she asked to take down my questions and promised to get back to me a little later. Except, later never came. I had to call the concierge and front desk three times in order to get directions printed. Also, there is a charge to use the business center.... which, given that there is free wifi and this hotel is a "luxury" hotel, this service should be complimentary. Further, there was no turndown service at night which is also a must at a place like this. Overall, I found the staff unfriendly and inattentive. I would not recommend staying here and will most certainly not return myself. I'd suggest staying at Cape Grace and Taj could learn a thing or two from this fantastic hotel.

On a positive note - Bombay Brasserie was great (food and service)!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank PKS215
MIPCapeTown, General Manager at Taj Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Dear Valued Guest
Thank you for taking the time to share your disappointment, during your recent stay. Firstly please accept our sincerest apologies for all the shortfalls – we have clearly failed to deliver on the Taj standard that we at pride ourselves on. I can assure you that your experience is certainly not at all typical to our establishment, and has been addressed with my executive management team.
Whilst we appreciate that an apology may not restore your total confidence in the offering, when planning your next trip to Cape Town, I invite you to contact either my personal assistant Trish Humby, or myself, to make the necessary arrangements on your behalf, and I will personally ensure that your stay is memorable for all the right reasons.
We certainly hope that you we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.
With renewed apologies

999 - 1,005 of 1,779 reviews

Reviewed 2 April 2014

I stayed at the Taj whilst on business in Capetown and had booked the hotel for eight nights as I had stayed in Taj hotels in India and was very pleased with the ambiance and service. I had booked an executive club room with a view, but we were given a room in the second floor and offered a complimentary meal in the Indian restaurant. I tried to book a meal the first night and was told it was fully booked, which was not a problem to us. Later on I had a call to say that they were able to fit us in, so we dressed and went down for our meal. When we got there, I was told there was no booking and despite explaining what had happened, it was inferred that we were gatecrashing. The restaurant manager said if we had the name of the person who had taken the booking, he would fit us in, but of course I hadn't got a name. He started to have an argument on at the entrance of the restaurant and we very embarrassed. It was so bad that we decided to check out the next morning. At breakfast the hotel manager came to apologise, but really the damage was done and we went off to the Westin.

Room Tip: If you make a booking in the hotel, get the name of the person who confirms it, you may need it in t...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Fredex

Dear Valued Guest
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are truly sorry that we did not met your expectations. We can assure you that the issues raised were addressed with our reservations and restaurant departments to ensure that requests are communicated timeously and correctly.
Whilst this apology may not restore your confidence in our offering, I would like to ask, when planning a trip to Cape Town, you contact my office to ensure that we have the opportunity to regain your patronage.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Stayed here for a week for a mixture of work and leisure with my family. This is very central, opposite the Parliament and in the centre of downtown and near all the bars and restaurants of Long St. The big problem was that it didn't have any 'outside' at all, no terrace or gardens, slightly frustrating when the temperature was 37c. The swimming pool is inside and a lap pool, again suffering for no sunlight.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank NicholasUk

Dear Nicholas
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience. We will certainly share your comments with the team. We look forward to welcoming you back to Taj Cape Town in the near future

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Taj Cape Town is a luxurious hotel. Bed was very comfortable and huge! Service was excellent and staff friendly and most helpful.

My room looked out to the town and Table Mountain, view was indeed beautiful! The furniture, toiletries, curtains, pillows, toilet of the room were opulent. Breakfast served had a large variety and was yummy.

The stay was one of the best i had and i do not think i could have asked for anything more. 2 thumbs up!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ilovestars22

Reviewed 28 March 2014

Had a fantastic time staying at the Taj. When checking in our booking couldn't be found so had to wait no more than 15 minutes before having the manager come over to say we were being upgraded as an apology for the wait. Highly recommend the mountain facing rooms..we were on the 15th floor. The service whilst here has been impeccable and the hotel staff clearly have been trained and are naturally customer service focused. The Bombay Restaurant in the hotel lovely too, however the in house dining is fabulous too. Only bit of feedback I do have is the breakfast could do with a bit more tlc, service was good though. Overall recommend this hotel.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Kelly

Reviewed 25 March 2014

My second visit to this wonderful property and was not disappointed. Excellent service from the moment I arrived, All details at check in 100% correct and totally efficient
Room was just beautiful with a terrace and view of The Mountain.
I was in town on business and my meeting was well accommodated in the lounge and lunch at The Twankey bar was great.
LOVE THIS HOTEL (next time my wife insists on coming along)..
Thanks

Room Tip: All good, but 611 is purrrfect!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Lisa E
MIPCapeTown, General Manager at Taj Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Dear Lisa
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with others. We will convey this to the entire team. We look forward to welcoming you back to Taj Cape Town, in the near future.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

Me and my partner were looking for a luxurious place to stay in Cape town after 3 months spent working long hours at sea. We chose this hotel purely on good reviews and what a good choice we made.

As my partner arrived to Cape town international airport, the hotel arranged to pick her up in big impressive cars and dealed with all her bags and made her feel comfortable. As i finally arrived we then got a tour of the hotel which the representative showed us all around the hotel facilities and educated us on the history of the building.

The room was perfect, spacious, clean and the bed was huge and very comfortable. The bathroom is like no other i have seen. I had a big nice window where i could spy on my Mrs whilst she took a bath! Which is pretty cool, but dont worry, for the more private people there is a big blind you can roll down for privacy.

Anyway for the more physical people, there is a gym there which i managed to get to a few times. It has a weights Bench where you can do bench press or dumb bell press, treadmills etc. Also there is a small swimming pool if you fancy to do a few lengths! With our package, we had a free couples massage which was unbeleivable. I hardly remember it as it was that relaxed i fell asleep.

Food - Amazing. Breakfast has plenty of choices, the steak and bacon is a must! Then you have the indian restaurant, which i think is ranked #6 on places to eat in Cape Town. Count yourself lucky this place is so close, we went there numerous times where we were treated like royalty and the food was unbeleivable.

Location wise, there are plenty of taxi's bus stops and shops in the vicinity of the area. There is a beautiful park across the road, a slave museum and a small club that plays amazing Jazz music! I was not a Jazz fan until i watched some of these guys perform!

Things to look out for - Some of the locals can be intimidating at night times if you roam the streets. If your a bunch of guys you will be fine, i dont advise chicks to walk around alone though. There is alot of homeless people who literally have nothing so if they do come across aggressive, it would be useful to just have spare Rand in your band pocket to fend them off for no trouble. In the day time, there is security on every corner and you see the Police every so often.

Last thing, it really is a must for you to go Shark Diving. It is the most extraordinary thing i have ever done. Bearing in mind the South African coasts are the most highly populated Great white areas in the world.

I hope you find this useful... at some point i will be returning to Cape town and to this hotel!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank zZBaDNeWsZz
MIPCapeTown, General Manager at Taj Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2014

Dear Valued Guest
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with other travellers. Your comments will be passed to the team. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.