Having stayed at numerous Taj properties around the globe, I was sorely disappointed at the service here. Luckily we only spent one night here. When pulled up to the hotel, no one tended to us. In fact, I had to seek out someone for help with parking and inform them that we were checking in. Once that was taken care of, we went to the reception area to check in where we were greeted with stone cold faces. Moving onto the concierge - the lady working the concierge desk was seemingly overwhelmed as she was the only one working the desk. She helped me with a couple of things but the lady next in line (loud American from the South) was yelling across the hotel (and into my ear) so she asked to take down my questions and promised to get back to me a little later. Except, later never came. I had to call the concierge and front desk three times in order to get directions printed. Also, there is a charge to use the business center.... which, given that there is free wifi and this hotel is a "luxury" hotel, this service should be complimentary. Further, there was no turndown service at night which is also a must at a place like this. Overall, I found the staff unfriendly and inattentive. I would not recommend staying here and will most certainly not return myself. I'd suggest staying at Cape Grace and Taj could learn a thing or two from this fantastic hotel.
On a positive note - Bombay Brasserie was great (food and service)!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Taj Cape Town welcomes guests to the vibrant heart of the one of the world's most scenic and desirable cities, Cape Town. The hotel is a combination of rich history and elegant contemporary architectures. Originally home of the South African Reserve Bank and Temple Chambers and later the Board of Executors (BOE), it successfully combines the heritage of the old with the luxury of the new - a 100 years in history! This luxury hotel is perfectly located in the centre of historic Cape Town at the entrance of the famous pedestrian precinct, St George's Mall. It's prime location ensures a blend of fascinating history, exotic culture, soulful art, lively entertainment and delectable cuisine. - Within walking distance to most tourist attractions, monuments, museums, shopping, restaurants, markets and nightlife. Adding to this grand yet welcoming atmosphere are the two dining experiences, the Indian fine dine specialty restaurant, Bombay Brasserie and Mint, a relaxed all-day dining restaurant. Both are warm and welcoming and serve outstanding cuisine. Alongside this you'll find wonderful Champagne and tapas bar known as The Twankey Bar which is exceedingly popular with both locals and guests alike. Rooms are located in both the heritage buildings and the contemporary tower wing, but all continue to seamlessly merge history and modernity. Luxury Rooms have spectacular city or breathtaking mountain views overlooking the famous Table Mountain and the Taj Club Rooms and suites offer all the benefits of the executive Club Lounge including butler service, evening canapes, cocktails and private breakfast. One and Two Bedroom Suites are also available, perfect for the discerning traveller or for families. The award winning Jiva Grande Spa is one of its kind in Africa with unique and authentic wellness treatments and experiences. Also on offer is complimentary use of all wet areas, heated pool, and a high tech gymnasium. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with DerbySoftTaj, Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Southall Travel, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Taj Cape Town reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Taj Cape Town Hotel Cape Town Central
- Taj Cape Town South Africa