“I had a great time; business travellers should beware the WiFi”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Taj Cape Town

Taj Cape Town
Ranked #17 of 106 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Denver, Colorado
“I had a great time; business travellers should beware the WiFi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

It was a lovely stay but this is not a 5-star hotel in Cape Town. If all their locations are like this one, I should expect them to lose a star soon.

Regardless it was great. The room was clean, comfortable, spacious, and lovely. The guest services were never lacking. I enjoyed the breakfast buffet which was not short in choices and everything tasted great, not to mention some very accommodating staff members who took note to remember your name and room number so you didn't have to give it every day. We made good use of room service. Prices were extremely reasonable, food was excellent, and staff was on the ball. Easy to catch a taxi with the staff at the door 24/7. Easy to make accommodations for day trips and adventures with a concierge staffed till 11PM every night. And 2 restaurants inside, both wonderful in their own right, which was perfect for a few late dinners on rainy nights. Not to mention a lot safer neighborhood than I had anticipated from my readings before traveling. No problem walking to many awesome eateries in the neighborhood and all the bars on Long Street. Over all I enjoyed my stay immensely.

If I had one complaint, it would be the Internet service. It was SLOW and the signal was VERY weak on the wifi, I literally had to sit by the door to gain wifi access on my iPhone. We plugged in direct with the laptop. Now, they offer an upgrade option for faster speeds, but the question was, will the wfif signal then be boosted so I can use it elsewhere in the room? We didn't get an answer and I preferred not to pay 200 Rand/day to find out. So I made use of the throw pillows and made a home for myself on the floor by the door a few nights. This wasn't a huge down side for me as I was on vacation, but if I was needing the net for say business travel, I would have gone insane. It's 1/100th the speed of my home Internet services. I found faster speeds for free in restaurants.

I would stay again.

Room Tip: Try to find the room that's closer to the data router, as I believe they have it locked in a ste...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GeeBee80
MIPCapeTown, General Manager at Taj Cape Town, responded to this review, 13 April 2014
Dear Valued Guest
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We have noted your comment pertaining to the speed of the internet. We currently have a team of engineers from the service providers scanning our building to find the cause of the slow transmission on the internet. We are truly sorry this was an inconvenience during your stay.
We ask when planning your next trip to Cape Town, you contact our office to make the necessary arrangements. We will do all in our power to restore your confidence in the Taj Cape Town team.
Michael Pownall

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

Having stayed at numerous Taj properties around the globe, I was sorely disappointed at the service here. Luckily we only spent one night here. When pulled up to the hotel, no one tended to us. In fact, I had to seek out someone for help with parking and inform them that we were checking in. Once that was taken care of, we went to the reception area to check in where we were greeted with stone cold faces. Moving onto the concierge - the lady working the concierge desk was seemingly overwhelmed as she was the only one working the desk. She helped me with a couple of things but the lady next in line (loud American from the South) was yelling across the hotel (and into my ear) so she asked to take down my questions and promised to get back to me a little later. Except, later never came. I had to call the concierge and front desk three times in order to get directions printed. Also, there is a charge to use the business center.... which, given that there is free wifi and this hotel is a "luxury" hotel, this service should be complimentary. Further, there was no turndown service at night which is also a must at a place like this. Overall, I found the staff unfriendly and inattentive. I would not recommend staying here and will most certainly not return myself. I'd suggest staying at Cape Grace and Taj could learn a thing or two from this fantastic hotel.

On a positive note - Bombay Brasserie was great (food and service)!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank PKS215
Dear Valued Guest
Thank you for taking the time to share your disappointment, during your recent stay. Firstly please accept our sincerest apologies for all the shortfalls – we have clearly failed to deliver on the Taj standard that we at pride ourselves on. I can assure you that your experience is certainly not at all typical to our establishment, and has been addressed with my executive management team.
Whilst we appreciate that an apology may not restore your total confidence in the offering, when planning your next trip to Cape Town, I invite you to contact either my personal assistant Trish Humby, or myself, to make the necessary arrangements on your behalf, and I will personally ensure that your stay is memorable for all the right reasons.
We certainly hope that you we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.
With renewed apologies
Milton Keynes
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

I stayed at the Taj whilst on business in Capetown and had booked the hotel for eight nights as I had stayed in Taj hotels in India and was very pleased with the ambiance and service. I had booked an executive club room with a view, but we were given a room in the second floor and offered a complimentary meal in the Indian restaurant. I tried to book a meal the first night and was told it was fully booked, which was not a problem to us. Later on I had a call to say that they were able to fit us in, so we dressed and went down for our meal. When we got there, I was told there was no booking and despite explaining what had happened, it was inferred that we were gatecrashing. The restaurant manager said if we had the name of the person who had taken the booking, he would fit us in, but of course I hadn't got a name. He started to have an argument on at the entrance of the restaurant and we very embarrassed. It was so bad that we decided to check out the next morning. At breakfast the hotel manager came to apologise, but really the damage was done and we went off to the Westin.

Room Tip: If you make a booking in the hotel, get the name of the person who confirms it, you may need it in t...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Fredex
Dear Valued Guest
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are truly sorry that we did not met your expectations. We can assure you that the issues raised were addressed with our reservations and restaurant departments to ensure that requests are communicated timeously and correctly.
Whilst this apology may not restore your confidence in our offering, I would like to ask, when planning a trip to Cape Town, you contact my office to ensure that we have the opportunity to regain your patronage.
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

Stayed here for a week for a mixture of work and leisure with my family. This is very central, opposite the Parliament and in the centre of downtown and near all the bars and restaurants of Long St. The big problem was that it didn't have any 'outside' at all, no terrace or gardens, slightly frustrating when the temperature was 37c. The swimming pool is inside and a lap pool, again suffering for no sunlight.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank NicholasUk
Dear Nicholas
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience. We will certainly share your comments with the team. We look forward to welcoming you back to Taj Cape Town in the near future
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

Taj Cape Town is a luxurious hotel. Bed was very comfortable and huge! Service was excellent and staff friendly and most helpful.

My room looked out to the town and Table Mountain, view was indeed beautiful! The furniture, toiletries, curtains, pillows, toilet of the room were opulent. Breakfast served had a large variety and was yummy.

The stay was one of the best i had and i do not think i could have asked for anything more. 2 thumbs up!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ilovestars22
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

Had a fantastic time staying at the Taj. When checking in our booking couldn't be found so had to wait no more than 15 minutes before having the manager come over to say we were being upgraded as an apology for the wait. Highly recommend the mountain facing rooms..we were on the 15th floor. The service whilst here has been impeccable and the hotel staff clearly have been trained and are naturally customer service focused. The Bombay Restaurant in the hotel lovely too, however the in house dining is fabulous too. Only bit of feedback I do have is the breakfast could do with a bit more tlc, service was good though. Overall recommend this hotel.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Kelly
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

My second visit to this wonderful property and was not disappointed. Excellent service from the moment I arrived, All details at check in 100% correct and totally efficient
Room was just beautiful with a terrace and view of The Mountain.
I was in town on business and my meeting was well accommodated in the lounge and lunch at The Twankey bar was great.
LOVE THIS HOTEL (next time my wife insists on coming along)..
Thanks

Room Tip: All good, but 611 is purrrfect!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Lisa E
MIPCapeTown, General Manager at Taj Cape Town, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear Lisa
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with others. We will convey this to the entire team. We look forward to welcoming you back to Taj Cape Town, in the near future.