It was a lovely stay but this is not a 5-star hotel in Cape Town. If all their locations are like this one, I should expect them to lose a star soon.
Regardless it was great. The room was clean, comfortable, spacious, and lovely. The guest services were never lacking. I enjoyed the breakfast buffet which was not short in choices and everything tasted great, not to mention some very accommodating staff members who took note to remember your name and room number so you didn't have to give it every day. We made good use of room service. Prices were extremely reasonable, food was excellent, and staff was on the ball. Easy to catch a taxi with the staff at the door 24/7. Easy to make accommodations for day trips and adventures with a concierge staffed till 11PM every night. And 2 restaurants inside, both wonderful in their own right, which was perfect for a few late dinners on rainy nights. Not to mention a lot safer neighborhood than I had anticipated from my readings before traveling. No problem walking to many awesome eateries in the neighborhood and all the bars on Long Street. Over all I enjoyed my stay immensely.
If I had one complaint, it would be the Internet service. It was SLOW and the signal was VERY weak on the wifi, I literally had to sit by the door to gain wifi access on my iPhone. We plugged in direct with the laptop. Now, they offer an upgrade option for faster speeds, but the question was, will the wfif signal then be boosted so I can use it elsewhere in the room? We didn't get an answer and I preferred not to pay 200 Rand/day to find out. So I made use of the throw pillows and made a home for myself on the floor by the door a few nights. This wasn't a huge down side for me as I was on vacation, but if I was needing the net for say business travel, I would have gone insane. It's 1/100th the speed of my home Internet services. I found faster speeds for free in restaurants.
I would stay again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Taj Cape Town welcomes guests to the vibrant heart of the one of the world's most scenic and desirable cities, Cape Town. The hotel is a combination of rich history and elegant contemporary architectures. Originally home of the South African Reserve Bank and Temple Chambers and later the Board of Executors (BOE), it successfully combines the heritage of the old with the luxury of the new - a 100 years in history! This luxury hotel is perfectly located in the centre of historic Cape Town at the entrance of the famous pedestrian precinct, St George's Mall. It's prime location ensures a blend of fascinating history, exotic culture, soulful art, lively entertainment and delectable cuisine. - Within walking distance to most tourist attractions, monuments, museums, shopping, restaurants, markets and nightlife. Adding to this grand yet welcoming atmosphere are the two dining experiences, the Indian fine dine specialty restaurant, Bombay Brasserie and Mint, a relaxed all-day dining restaurant. Both are warm and welcoming and serve outstanding cuisine. Alongside this you'll find wonderful Champagne and tapas bar known as The Twankey Bar which is exceedingly popular with both locals and guests alike. Rooms are located in both the heritage buildings and the contemporary tower wing, but all continue to seamlessly merge history and modernity. Luxury Rooms have spectacular city or breathtaking mountain views overlooking the famous Table Mountain and the Taj Club Rooms and suites offer all the benefits of the executive Club Lounge including butler service, evening canapes, cocktails and private breakfast. One and Two Bedroom Suites are also available, perfect for the discerning traveller or for families. The award winning Jiva Grande Spa is one of its kind in Africa with unique and authentic wellness treatments and experiences. Also on offer is complimentary use of all wet areas, heated pool, and a high tech gymnasium. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, DerbySoftTaj, Booking.com, Agoda, Hotelopia, Southall Travel, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Taj Cape Town reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Taj Cape Town Hotel Cape Town Central
- Taj Cape Town South Africa