“One of the best hotels in SA, excellent service, food and ambience”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Taj Cape Town

Taj Cape Town
Ranked #17 of 106 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Johannesburg, South Africa
“One of the best hotels in SA, excellent service, food and ambience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

Taj Cape Town is truely an excellent hotel with significant focus on quality, professionalism and customer delight. A real value for money, they have excellent long stay packages. The food in Bombay brassie is one of the best Indian cuisine that you will get in SA. Rooms are immacutely clean and service is fast, professional with a smile at all times.

One of the best things about Taj is also their continuous endaevor for improvements based on customer feedbacks.

I am truly impressed by Taj and would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for luxury in reasonable costs.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
GeneralManagerTCT, General Manager at Taj Cape Town, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. We will certainly convey your comments on to the entire team and especially Chef Harpreet and her brigade at Bombay Brasserie.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Taj Cape Town.
Michael Pownall

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

Excelent location and outstanding rooms - an hotel that lets you feel at home outside of your home.

I stayed for 4 nights and was really surprised to find the dining room staff at breakfast addressing me by my name - i also Suggest to dine at least once at the Indian restaurant on the first floor

Room Tip: i stayed on the 4th floor in an executive room was facing the main road which was no disturbance
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Joel S
GeneralManagerTCT, General Manager at Taj Cape Town, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. We will certainly convey your comments on to the entire team. We look forward to welcoming you back to Taj Cape Town.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

I made a last minute decision to fly into Cape Town for a weekend as a solo traveller, and still haven't gotten over the experience a week later.

I booked through an external company, so emailed Taj Reservations to confirm the booking and received a most pleasant email in return absolutely promptly if I may add.

When I arrived at Taj, it was quite late but the check-in process was so effortless. I had requested a Luxury Mountain View room, and at that late hour I just appreciated the magnificent king-sized bed. When I opened my curtains in the morning, it was surely breath-taking. The view of the Table Mountain, Lions Head was simply awe-inspiring. I think Taj has one of the best views of the mountain, especially since the clouds gave way for the "table-cloth".

The room was huge, modern with that perfect Indian touch which I appreciated. Of course, the Taj will give you the perfect welcoming letter with a complimentary walking tour (which I unfortunately didn't have the time to do, but heard fantastic compliments at Breakfast about it). The shower was simply amazing and the bath made for a luxurious soak after a long day out.

I had an extremely peaceful sleep, you will never feel that you are in the middle of the city, on Sunday morning, I took in the spectacular view to the hymns emanating from the church directly opposite my room, the famous St George's Cathedral.

Due to its incredibly central location, one can walk to most of the historical destinations, I took an early morning walk in the Company's garden and it was really an amazing experience. Being a single female traveller, the basic precautions should be taken otherwise it is fairly safe.

The breakfast was quite a spread, and I enjoyed the food. I remember trying to eat 3 massively huge pancakes that I ordered, expecting just one! The selection of sushi and cold meats is just as varied as the continental spread with fruit. The hot meals are really well prepared and the egg station will make just about anything you ask.

The check out process was quite quick, in fact I was quite surprised that my check out was done in less than five minutes. It was an ethereal experience, just like the Taj brand that I frequent in my travels to India.

It's the little things that make the Taj so priceless, whether is a letter welcoming you, the little card detailing the weather for the next day, the turndown service or the multitude of tea's that you can choose from in the room!

Well spent weekend in class.

Room Tip: The higher floors are better. It is worth spending extra for the Luxury Room with Views!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Kash1987
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

The Taj Cape Town ticked all the boxes for us in terms of quality, location and price. Located in the City Bowl the hotel was dead central, close to the decent restaurants and bars of Kloof Street and Long Street and within a short drive/taxi ride of the V&A on the one side and Camps Bay the other. This is the cultural heart of Cape Town which you can get to know more about on the free 2 hour walking tour run by the hotel – definitely recommended.

Room was comfortably furnished and spacious enough (although the wife did spot the bathroom sink was a little unclean), amenities - pool, fitness room etc - hit the mark and food also of a high standard – breakfast was really varied (buffet or cooked to order), while we also ate in The Bombay Brasserie the one night which was slightly more expensive than the average for Cape Town but definitely worth it. Service within the hotel was always friendly, helpful and prompt, from the concierge/parking attendants through to reception and restaurants where we were greeted by name. We booked trips to Table Mountain and Robben Island through the concierge desk who were knowledgeable and advised when best to visit.

Considering the very reasonable rate we paid, this place was a great choice to stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Simon L
GeneralManagerTCT, General Manager at Taj Cape Town, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Honolulu
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

In the Center of the City, our corner room had great views of many sights. The free walking tour was a highlight of our stay, The guide was very knowledgeable. we learned much more about S.A. history and happenings than we had in the previous 2 stays in Cape Town.
Great and accommodating Hotel. Early Check-in after flight from Hawaii, friendly and helpful
staff, walk to many sight seeing venues, We'll be back,

Room Tip: Look tired!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank elpees
Johannesburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Our company was the 2014 host for an international conference in April this year. After many site visits to many Cape Town Hotels our team judged the Taj to offer the best accommodation in the luxury category at the vey best price.
Of great concern to us were the catering needs of delegates from Moslem countries and our Hindu delegates from India. The head chef and his team went out of their way to make sure that all religious requirements with regards food and beverage were catered for in a thoughtful and professional manner. All meals were of a very high standard and all our delegates were extremely happy.
The service and attention to detail given by all the staff at the Taj left a lasting impression with our international visitors, we received unanimous thanks for a memorable conference held in a World Class city in a World Class Hotel.
On a personal note our room was on the 7th floor and had a breathtaking view of Table Mountain, I think it is important to be sure to request a mountain view room when making a booking .
Thank you to all the staff at the Taj, we will certainly be back.

Room Tip: Rooms in the tower wing with a mountain view are a must the higher up the better, the suites are exc...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Valued Guest
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. We will certainly convey your comments on to the entire team and especially to the Chef and his team. We look forward to welcoming you back to Taj Cape Town.
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

After a rather lacklustre stay at the Table Bay View I decided to stay at this Hotel for my final day in Cape Town as I was familiar with the Brand from stays in India and it was very centrally located for making the most of my final day in the city.
It was very pleasant and the view from my room of table mountain was superb on check in I had mentioned that it was the last day of my Honeymoon and wondered if I could get a nice room ( the room I got was great whether this was because of my shameless behaviour I don't know) But they gave us a bottle of South African Champagne under their own label and it was the Best I had in my whole time in SA the only one you could compare with the French product.
They seemed a little inflexible about a late check out (coinciding the hotel was not anywhere near full) but as I was only staying one night could hardly grumble.
I liked it and would certainly return but although a very nice place if like me you have stayed in other Taj hotels in India you will find that although fine the service is more like a European hotel rather then the very special feeling you get from other hotels in the group.
Also the Breakfast was very good and had a Egg station which I had missed in other South African hotels, Plus they have a Cigar lounge and serve you drinks in it which is a touch of civilised behaviour that is becoming very rare these days

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple