“Excellent city center hotel in Cape Town”
Review of Taj Cape Town

Taj Cape Town
Ranked #15 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
New York City, New York
“Excellent city center hotel in Cape Town”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This is a great hotel right in the business district of Cape Town. We found service to be very attentive and personal. Rooms are new and comfortable while the lobby, carved out of a landmark building, has a lot of charm and style. The Bombay Brasserie is one of the best Indian restaurants I have ever tried. Great Indian ingredients but with a modern, lighter twist. Definitely try the tasting menu. We had access to the executive lounge which operates a bit differently from most club lounges. Rather than being self-serve, lounge attendants take orders and bring a full tea or appetizer service with your drinks. It's a bit slow but nice if you have time. In good weather tourists might prefer to be outside the city center but if you want to stay in town for business or leisure (with great access to the Company Gardens, restaurants, museums, etc.) this is a perfect choice.

Room Tip: The two bedroom suites can be great value (look for special multi-night offers on the hotel website...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
GeneralManagerTCT, General Manager at Taj Cape Town, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. We will certainly convey your appreciation to the entire team. We hope it will not be too long before we welcome you back to Taj Cape Town.
Michael Pownall

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Aurangabad, India
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Rooms are great and spacious.The food they serve is also good.The staff is always smiling.But the service they give is poor.It took 40 mins for them to change two cups which required 5 phone calls.Otherwise its a great place with a great view of table mountain

Room Tip: Go for higher floor with a view of table top mountain
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vishalpande1
GeneralManagerTCT, General Manager at Taj Cape Town, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are truly sorry that we disappointed you with our service. This clearly is not the Taj Standard that we have become known for. When next travelling to Cape Town, we ask that you make contact with our office in order to restore your faith in our offering.
With renewed apologies
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 16 July 2014

It's a real 5-star experience. I only stayed for a night, and was in a pretty entry-level room. It was luxurious, but felt like a bit of a mish-mash of silky fabrics, stone, bling and shiny wood. Good wifi, pillow menu, very good breakfast, centrally located in the CBD (between Parliament and the art gallery). There was a warm welcome, efficient front desk, valet parking,...all the stylish, but expected 5-star touches...Really good. But I couldn't help feeling it isn't quite at the level of other top hotels in the country.

Room Tip: Many rooms only have a view of adjacent buildings, so ask for/pay for one that faces out onto the ci...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Valued Guest
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. We are truly sorry that we have failed to exceed your expectations. We certainly hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to restore your faith in our Taj Offering.
With renewed apologies
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Dates of stay: 27-Jun-2014 to 12-Jul-2014

The Taj – Cape Town

From the moment I walked into this hotel to the second I walked out I felt like Royalty! I have so many amazing things to say about this hotel that I must share them with others!

RECEPTION – I dealt with reception on many occasions from checking in to collecting person belongings and asking questions. Every day I was greeted with a friendly smile and a ‘Good morning Miss Butler, how are you today’. The personal touch was outstanding! The reception is extremely welcoming, professional and friendly.
FOOD – I dined in ‘The Mint’ restaurant, the Indian restaurant in the hotel, breakfast and also room service during my stay. The food was outstanding! Flavoursome, proportional, cooked perfectly, fresh, hot, tasty and presented perfectly! The service in the restaurant was second to none and very personal at all times.

HOUSEKEEPING – At first I thought I had ‘curtain and bed fairies’ coming into my room at night as I completely missed the ‘turn down service’. My room was immaculate every single day. Fresh, clean and restocked with anything I may need. I used the dry-cleaning service on a few occasions; both times my clothes were returned clean, fresh and professionally presented. For me the personal touches made my stay so special. The fresh fruit in my room, the handwritten card telling me what the following days weather was going to be, the chocolate flowers left in my fruit bowl, fresh bottles of water on my bedside, the notes left for me if they noticed I had laundry but hadn't filled the form in advising me how to do it and where to go if I needed help, the sheets that were laid on the floor with a pair of slippers ready for me getting in and out of bed at night – I felt like royalty!
SECURITY – I have never felt more comfortable in a hotel, the security was outstanding! On 2 occasions I went downstairs and left my mobile, jewellery and purse in my room. Both times housekeeping called security who came up, collected my personal items in a secure bag with an identity tag attached and placed them in the hotel volt until I returned to my room and found the letter explaining what had happened. I found this service amazing and made me feel much more secure in my surroundings in that not only was I being taken care of but also my personal belongings.

CONCIERGE – Another part of the hotel I used a little bit in the way of booking taxis and booking reservations however being the first port of call into the hotel they are outstanding! Nothing is too much trouble, always greeted by name and asked questions that are relevant to you as an individual, chatting about random things and being genuinely interested in your life and what you have to say.

STAFF – Wow………What can I say! There are MANY people I could personally name however on a whole there was not one person who didn’t make me feel like royalty! I was always greeted with an astounding ‘Good day Miss Butler, how are you today? Have you finished work for the day? Do you have anything fun planned for this evening?’ I spent a lot of time in the bar area of the hotel where all of the bar staff were incredibly kind and attentive! To the point of ensuring my glass was never empty and that I had everything I needed and was happy. I was told on a few occasions ‘I just want to make sure you’re comfortable and feel happy and at home’. Even a lady on reception told me as I was checking out ‘I'm going to miss your smile’……so kind and personal! The ladies who greeted me for breakfast were so kind and sweet taking an interest in me, I was even given a little telling off one morning for having a drink and no food as I needed to eat  That was so sweet, the lady even took my orange juice and pastry from me and carried it to the cigar lounge where I always sat to have my breakfast. Nothing was too much trouble! The porters/front door staff/security couldn't do enough for me! Always running to open doors for me, taking my bags from me and generally treating me like a celebrity! They were all well-presented, authentic, smart and down to earth people.

I could go on and on and on about my stay! But I'm sure at some point I will run out of characters on this review so ill end with this………..

NEVER in my 31 years on this earth have I ever felt so special, unique and important in any kind of establishment, I've never had an experience like it and don’t think I will ever again until I return to The Taj (which I have EVERY intention of doing) I adore South Africa and Cape Town and always have but The Taj has made my 2 week stay the most pleasurable experience I've had away from home. Thank you to each and every one of the people I have met and I look forward to seeing you all again!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Natalie
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your wonderful experience. It is always a great feeling to receive such great feedback which I will certainly share with the entire team. We hope that it will not be too long before we welcome you back to Cape Town and more importantly Taj Cape Town.
Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This is a fantastic hotel and certainly worthy of its inclusion in the Leading Hotels of the World.
I had to take a detour to Durban prior to arrival, and the Taj were happy to store my bags until arrival.
Unfortunately, a booking error meant they hadn't received my specific request for twin beds on check-in but Jarred, the Duty Manager went above and beyond to get us what we needed.
A drink in the lobby bar, dinner at Bombay Brasserie (by far the best Indian I've ever had) and breakfast in Mint Restaurant all added to the experience.
We were sorry we couldn't stay longer, but would definitely be back when staying again in Cape Town.

Room Tip: Request Mountain view for great views of Table Mountain.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Amanda
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. We will certainly convey this to the team and especially Jarrad. We certainly hope that it will not be too long before we welcome you back to Taj Cape Town.
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I would definitely stay here again if returning to Cape Town. Everyone was so friendly and helpful. Room service was great, the spa was great, the free walking your was great, the concierge was great, and the Bombay restaurant was fantastic. The room was comfortable and spacious. The only thing missing is a rooftop bar.

• Stayed April 2014
GeneralManagerTCT, General Manager at Taj Cape Town, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. We will certainly convey your appreciation with all the teams. We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

A wonderful experience at the Bombay Brasserie. ....

Excellent service. ........Great food.......lovely ambience. .........

Good work Stephen.......you made our drive from Franschoek worth the experience.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. We also thank you for highlighting the service received from Stephen. We have entered him into our Employee of the month programme.