“too many 'men'moreies' - five times as good!”
Review of Penthouse on Long

Penthouse on Long
Bristol, United Kingdom
“too many 'men'moreies' - five times as good!”
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I had been traveling up the Garden route for a couple of months, ended in CPT and stayed in various places on 'LONG'.

PENTHOUSE ON LONG was by far my favorite. I was very sad to leave my last backpackers/hostel; as soon as I arrived people were inviting me out 'flamenco dancing' and to go out out 'now,now' with them! ( you will understand on arrival what NOWNOW means ).
It has a warm vibe, everyone is extremely friendly, especially BOBO aka, Boris (GERMAN) on the front desk or Steven & Franco on the roof bar.

As a lone traveller, you will never be short of people to explore Table mountain, Cycle to chapman's peak or go Skydiving with. I met a group of friend who I will remain friends with for life and I now plan on returning as soon as I can to SA.

Oh yes and the beds are comfortable, Kitchen kept clean and have a loverly laundry service!

There is beautiful viewpoint from the back roof ( smokers heaven ), where the lights illuminate the skyscrapers silhouettes against a rose light polluted night sky. 8:30 every night.

DEAR PENTHOUSE, THANK YOU :)

see you now
xx

Room Tip: Go in the 18 room you will have fun
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Clintoncvl, Owner at Penthouse on Long, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Hi Tessa. Thanks for the lovely review. It was great meeting you. You were such a lovely guest. Always ready to take part in anything that was on offer. I miss you and so does all the other staff. Come back and visit us soon. Good luck with university!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 15 August 2013

The place was clean, very friendly and had a fantastic tour desk aswell. Excellent location in the middle of the action and not far from the Irish bar. The staff were very friendly and so was everyone staying there. Its had a fab roof terrace with a bar and cause it was January it was the perfect place to perch yourself after a hard day of sightseeing.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Scotland
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I stayed in Cape Town for a month, changing backpackers every few days or so and Penthouse was by far my favourite. Great location right on long st (but high up enough that it's quiet!), friendly and helpful staff, spacious, clean, plenty of showers.. and best, a rooftop bar! Can't recommend this place highly enough.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 3 August 2013

The staff were so friendly and the communal areas were great. I loved the kitchen because it had very good equipment - not the usual horrible pots you normally find.
I slept in an 8 sleeper dorm with very comfortable bunk beds and made friends with some of the other girls in the dorm.
The rooftop area was awesome and the barman was very nice.
I will definitely stay here again and I recommend it for all single travelers. Can't wait to come back again.

Room Tip: Use the networking board to find other guests to do cool stuff with
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for three nights after three weeks in SA, so we have seen a lot of different places. I liked that our room had a ensuite bathroom, but the first night when we went to bed the mattress was hurting my back really bad, I could feel all the springs. After we flipped the mattress it felt a lot better, but I did not like the fact that I needed to get out of bed and think of a solution myself. If you pay this amount of money (we had an entire, really nice appartment to ourselfs in Hermanus for this amount of money) I expect the room to be nice. The other thing that I did not like, and I think it is a really important one, was the vibe! You could feel the tension between the staff, plus they weren't polite at all. Not looking at me when I asked something, lying on the couch and switching the tv channel when the guests are watching tv, etc. Overall I felt it was more important that they had a nice time instead of their guests.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Clintoncvl, Owner at Penthouse on Long, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Hi Mijke89

I am terribly sorry about the bed, and the unfortunate stay you had at the hostel. We have been systematically replacing the beds in the whole hostel, with that room to be done shortly. That bed seems to not have lasted as long as it should. We pushed up the schedule and replaced the bed as of today.

I cant put into words how bad a feel that you received such cold unfriendly service. This is not what we are about, and our staff are all really great people. I have spoken to them, and reminded them that the guest is number one, and should be treated so. Ive also reminded them about their boundaries and that the TV room is a guest facility. We will continue to strive to be the best on offer, and if you are ever back in South Africa, I would love the opportunity to make it up to you. Email me on clintoncvl@penthouseonlong.com if you have any more suggestions or if you have any questions.

Regards
Clinton van Loggenberg
Managing Director.
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Reviewed 26 June 2013

The first night I arrived at Penthouse on Long, I was given a wonderful warm welcome and made friends instantly. I had the time of my life making new friends and would wake up everyday with a smile on my face and people smiling back at me. There was a fully stocked kitchen to make use of and breakfasts and dinners on offer. Also, places to meet up with people like the bar area and tv lounge/dining area made it easy for me to meet people and make friends from around the world. I'd honestly had the most wonderful stay and will never forget the fun times and amazing people.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I first stayed here in late 2009 and came back to stay again this year on a revisit to South Africa. Whilst both my stays were short (no reflection on hostel just time constraints) I have stayed at several other options in Cape Town and this is by far my favourite.
The location is ideal, the staff endlessly helpful and friendly, good comfy beds, great showers and clean and well stocked kitchen facilities. The communal areas are great for meeting others and hanging out and at this time of year when it's a little chilly of an evening the rooms were cosy and warm.
I would highly recommend this hostel to friends, family and all.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo