“A Gem”

Penthouse on Long
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“A Gem”
Reviewed 12 November 2013

There isn't a thing I can fault about this place. It's located very conveniently, being right in the city centre, so it's close to the train station and close to the night club scene. The management and staff were great - very warm and welcoming. Bathrooms and showers were flawless. The real appeal of the place is the roof top bar - always busy, with plenty of other guests, and especially great when the weather's good. I'll definitely be back when I get the chance.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Great stay! Fun bar nights and great location. Good tours available. A nice relaxing tv room is great after a long day. Walking distance to the bars and waterfront. I would stay there again in a heart beat.

• Stayed October 2013
san francisco
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I stayed here the last 2 nights of a 3 week vacation in South Africa. The facility was centrally located, close to transit, clean, affordable and had a great self-serve kitchen. There was a small library room and separate tv room that also had a computer with internet access. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 11 October 2013

So we booked the penthouse to start our 1 year trip around the world and we were pleasantly surprised :-) the hostel is pretty big with different areas for you to go and chill out. There's a roof top area with a bar to. Also if you want to self cater there's a good fully equipped kitchen. The location of the penthouse is perfect as its literally right in the centre of Cape Town so you can get anywhere pretty quickly including Table Mountain, Signal Hill and the Waterfront. Use the taxi company they suggest which is Excite as they are very reasonable and run on a metre. We used this company throughout our trip in Cape Town. Also as its on long street there's plenty of restaurants etc to go too. I would advise using a taxi at night though.

The reasons why this isn't a 5 star is because for me a few things let it down, however this is just personal to me and might not matter to others.

1. The wifi the whole time we were there was down. It would come on every now and again but mainly off. For us wifi is essential as most of our trip requires planning on the Internet. If your the same then please double check wifi etc.

2. On occasion I found the staff a little off. Not as friendly as the other place we stayed in Cape Town and not as friendly as where we are now. For me this is important.

3. BBQ was not good value at all and you can get a lot more in a restaurant. Also we were never told you have to order BBQ to begin with and I only got mine because some was left over. Either way I wouldn't recommend it.

4. They have a secure cash machine which is great but please double check that it has been filled before withdrawing cash. We tried to withdraw 600r but there was no cash and nobody had told us.

Overall it is a really nice place but those above if improved would make it a 5. I would stay here again and I would recommend it to a friend.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Penthouse on Long St is a special place - it's a family run backpackers and you really feel welcome when you arrive! The entrance can be difficult to find the first time, if you don't know what you are looking for ;) Centrally located on busy LONG st, there's small tuck shops around to buy food and supplies. The reception staff are friendly and give great tips/ advice for what to see & do in Cape Town.

Dorms & rooms are clean, comfortable beds and clean linens, well-lit halls and lots of common space to chill. A huge communal kitchen that's well-stocked for cooking, there's even a mixer if you want to bake cakes! TV lounge is open 24/7, and Penthouse has the best ROOFTOP parties in the city! It's great to see local bands and party with Cape Townians at the backpacker - don't have to go far for the fun ;) Highly recommended!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Halle (Saale), Germany
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I stayed at penthouse for almost two weeks, and i enjoyed my stay so much. It's a bit tricky to find, because the sign on the street isn't too big, but once you found the kiosk that's right next to the door, it's all fine. all the people who work there are very friendly, so helpful and entertaining and there's always a very good atmosphere (Jommy playing the guitar for example). There was all the time something going on at the roof top bar (that rooftop has an amazing view and if you're keen you can play pool there) and the rooms are well sized and the bathrooms are clean. It's located on Long Street, the perfect place to stay, there are all the bars and clubs and restaurants next to it, and i felt very save there. The kitchen had all the supplies you need for cooking. Also there was a huge tv room with couches and a nice chill out area for everyone. It was a bit cold in the dorm due to an air condition, that you can easily turn off if you find it;) The lift wasn't always working, so sometimes you had to walk down one floor to cacth it from there. What I found quite strange were the cameras in the hallways or the chill out area. But apart from that it was just great! I meat so many amazing people there that i really miss a lot already! anyway I guess it's the place to stay when you're in Cape Town and I was very very happy that I decided to go there.

Room Tip: So the girl's dorm (6 beds) is super nice, it's all red and decorated with little hearts, ju...