“Fantastic!”

African Pride 15 On Orange Hotel
Ranked #40 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for two nights during our honeymoon. The room was gorgeous and clean. I loved that we had a bathtub and that our sinks lit up! We had chilled champagne waiting for us in the room along with chocolates and a lady would come each evening to drop off a bottle of drinking water. We had breakfast every morning and there was a cocky girl but I didn't pay her any mind. I just went and got my breakfast at the great buffet. All in all, I really liked this hotel :-)

• Stayed April 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I have stayed at 15 on most occasions during my very frequent visits to Cape Town since 2010. I have been booking at the hotel for my business and leisure travel even at times when my engagements went as far as the cape winelands. The only times I have not booked at 15 is when it was fully booked.

A LOT of things have changed a lot from that very first time in 2010 to my recent visit in August 2013. Each time I have booked at the hotel I have observed the deterioration in the offering, each time I have decided to book on account of giving the hotel another chance. Not again!

My reasons for my unhappy review:
- the cleanliness of the rooms is absolutely far from satisfactory... my room had hair all over the place. In the shower, on the bathroom floor, on the pillows. I got the feeling that my occupation of the room had interrupted a clean up.

-the supply of amenities was lacking (compared to my prior stays). During those early days there was always a vanity pack in the bathroom, disposal bag, shower/bath gel, amongst a whole lot of other things... this time I was 'fortunately' afforded shampoo, soap, lotion and shower cap in the bathroom. That's all! Am not asking for the Dermalogica samples that were a treat in the early days, it was very appreciated then. Today I look for basic hotel amenities which seem to be no longer on offer! The box that was meant to contain the 2nd disposal bag was empty??? It is a good idea to pack your own cotton wool and shower gel if you believe you are going to need any.

-the hotel used to offer the luxury of docking stations for what i believed to be for the smart phone/mp3 player guest. These are no where to be seen.

-the bathroom door hinges were broken causing the door not to close properly

-the mini bar was understocked with only 2 beers and a few soft drinks and lots of gaps where one used to find a variety of items on offer including bottled water

-the hotel no longer offers newspapers in the morning outside the room.

-murano bar staff totally was clueless on menu items from both the restaurant menu and the light meals menu. The man had to go consult 3 times on each question I asked on the menu items.

-the aircon functioning has always been a mystery even during my satisfaction days with the hotel!

-at check in, I was offered prokard membership which I believed I already had. I had signed up at 15 after all. I had since opted out after being hounded by call centre agents for payment on the 'complimentary' membership. I gave the staff the go ahead to activate it...AGAIN. It was 'surprisingly' found that there is duplicate membership on the system. I rest my case!!!!

The clincher for me was my very last breakfast though... I ordered an omelette which was dropped off without any offer for toast or condiments. Upon asking for toast and chilli sauce on the side, I waited an entire 20 minutes for the toast to arrive and even longer for the chilli sauce (in a bottle). Upon complaining to the waiter he shrugged his shoulders. I received the same response from the lady attendant who was checking on our satisfaction of breakfast.

All in all I believe 15 set a very high standard which has been more than hard to maintain and which alienates the guests who liked the hotel for the luxury that it offered in its heydays!

My experience has shifted my view from a 5 to a 2 star experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an outside looking window and not the rooms that look into reception.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank TSH010GP
DouglasAllen, General Manager at African Pride 15 On Orange Hotel, responded to this review, 30 August 2013
Dear TSH010GP,

On behalf of African Pride Hotels, I would like to humbly apologise for your disappointing experience.

We would like to assure you that we, at African Pride Hotels, pride ourselves in delivering the best GUEST service and strive to get the basics right consistently. Your experience does not reflect the high standard we are usually proud to offer.

I confirm therefore that your concerns are being addressed in a serious light and that action is being taken to rectify any shortcomings in our service and facilities. I do however require some additional information from you to discuss your feedback in more detail as we are unable to locate your reservation details with your TripAdvisor profile name.

Your interest and concern are extremely valuable to us and value your feedback as an extremely important tool in our day to day operations, as this helps us to improve on our service delivery.

Kind regards,

021 469 8000
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 25 August 2013

A perfectly located very cleverly designed modern hotel in the centre of Cape Town. Super bedrooms with wonderful bedding and lovely modern bathrooms. Nice business centre. Exceptional Staff. Lovely buffet breakfast. Great, and safe, escursions can be arranged by the hotel and are highly recommended. Gorgeous views. Lovely small SPA and swimming pool with bathing deck on the top floor. No complaints whatsoever.

Room Tip: External rooms have wonderful views. Internal rooms look onto the lobby and are amazingly different...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
DouglasAllen, General Manager at African Pride 15 On Orange Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
Dear Helen L N,

Thank you for the positive review of our hotel.

We are very happy to know you enjoyed your stay with us at African Pride 15 on Orange Hotel and we are looking forward to welcome you back to 15 on Orange when next your travels take you to Cape Town!

Glens Falls, New York
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Great hotel with a very friendly staff. A distance from the waterfront but good location to take day tours. Do not eat dinner at hotel (just ok) restaurant but breakfast buffet and the bar is good. Rooms are super with great views and lots of room. Unique decor. We really enjoyed our stay here. We stayed here and did day tours and then moved to the waterfront for a couple days there.

Room Tip: Book escorted day tours instead wandering around on your own. Your TA can set these up ahead of tim...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Mangocatpurring,

We were delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us at African Pride15 on Orange Hotel.
GUEST feedback is imperative for us to ensure whether or not we are meeting and exceeding our GUESTS' expectations. We need to know when we have done right, but more importantly, when we have done wrong!
Y
our interest and concern are therefore extremely valuable to us, and we hope that you will be staying with us again soon. We should welcome another opportunity to show you African Pride Hospitality at its best!

With best regards,

mashhad
Reviewed 30 July 2013

we stayed for 7 nights from 26th march.the lobby and other facilities were very nice.upon check in we were upgraded and our room was no 430 we could not be more impressed.the view of the table mountain from our room and the quality of the room is however excellent,bathroom is huge and impressive.there is free high-speed wireless internet in the hotel.the concierge staff are so friendly and helpful and will even drive you to wherever you want to go(in the hotel car of course for a reasonable fee)we were always greeted with a smile and it seemed like no concierge member was ever too much in a hurry to go out of their way to help us.be ware phone call is very expensive.however the stay was ruined by one thing:we ate breakfast in the hotel each morning for one week.in summary the hotel itself is certainly 5 star,however the service levels in breakfast are no where near that,seemed too many staff not quite sure what to do,a number of other guests at the breakfast time were complaning a bout the service in the restaurant,breakfast staff just havent been trained properly.we waited almost 15 minutes for coffee,the service was slow,dirty plates were not collected and everything asked has to be repeated more than once and the answers came very slowly with lack of interest in helping us and no eye contact what so ever.all in all we did not enjoy our breakfast and the big reason was staff specially one of staff her name was FEZE,we were forced to face with her every morning for having breakfast at the restaurant,she realized herself as a south african representative for miss world competition,so rude and selfish,she really had problems with listening to us or she has simply made her mind up about ignoring people eating breakfast.shame on you

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank hamidrezamonshizadeh
DouglasAllen, General Manager at African Pride 15 On Orange Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Dear hamidrezamonshizadeh,

Thank you for your feedback and taking time to post your comments pertaining to your recent stay at African Pride 15 on Orange Hotel.

Many thanks again for your comments and we look forward to welcome you back to 15 on Orange Hotel when next you visit Cape Town. We should welcome another opportunity to show you African Pride Hospitality at its best!

Kind regards,

Johannesburg
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Arrived late Monday night after a long day battling airlines, (Mango, yech, and shame on you for breaking into my suitcase,) and after a small disruption with the GPS, drove into the quiet and unobtrusive main entrance. I was immediately warmly welcomed by a burly guard with a French accent, who, it turned out, was from the Congo, and I felt better straight away. Fasseg then welcomed me at the concierge's desk while he explained that the main reception was up one floor, and that my car would be taken care of for free. We got into a lift with a big gold sofa in it - just in case I needed to rest - and the beautiful Reception area was really impressive. Literally within seconds the check-in process was complete, (perhaps because I was a delegate rather than a private guest,) and it was followed by a quick and friendly tour of the facilities until the lift, where Faseeg was waiting for me.

The room was beautiful, although I couldn't really see the view since it was late. However, a couple of minutes later I noticed that there was no loo paper and no large towels. My welcome was so warm that I couldn't really gight, but the GM arrived at my door personally a few minutes later, said there had been a technical mistake, apologised profusely and asked if they could move me to another room. Again, quick as a flash, everything was taken care of, and that was the last problem I had over the next five days.

The next morning I saw what a beautiful view I had of Table Mountain, and had a great cup of coffee and some really nice biscuits supplied by the hotel. On arrival at the conference centre, there was a breakfast buffet beautifully presented and absolutely delicious. The staff were all great, but Sammy and Jeremy really stood out, as did the techie Adrian. (It's unfair to just pick out these three because all of the staff were attentive and friendly and responsive.) As usual, someone with an Apple computer had changed all the setting on the AV equipment, but the team sorted me out and showed me how to work everything. The wireless internet access was superb and free!

Once I had verything ready for my presentation, I popped out to meet the delegates, who were all commenting on how great everything was. One lady mentioned that she didn't want anything with glutens, and they bought her the most delicious looking cucumber slices with salmon and cream and caviar on top. I was really tempted to steal one because they looked so good! But she also never had to mention it again as every morning and lunchtime there was something special for her.

Needless to say, the next few days went without a hitch, the breakfasts and lunches were delicious and well presented, the staff incredibly helpful, and the spirit of the hotel was generous. Nothing was too much trouble, and on one day we had a guest speaker in a wheelchair, so I asked if they could give me permission to get a few young men on the conference to move the classroom style seating into a semi-circle for that one presentation. They refused to let us do the work, and then one of the ladies approached me an hour later to offer me another room right next door that had already been set up - at no additional cost. Wow!

I travel a lot around the world doing conferences, and this certainly has to be amongst my top three experiences in the last twenty years. Well done to all the managers and staff of 15 on Orange!

Room Tip: Don't forget to take advantage of the free car parking service. It really does make everything a...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear AkiJohannesburg

I am delighted to hear that the STAFF were so friendly and efficient. Your commendations of Adrian, Sammy and Jeremy in particular are highly valued, and I wish to assure you that we have congratulated them for doing such an outstanding job!

GUEST feedback is imperative for us to ensure that we are meeting and exceeding our GUESTS’ expectations. Your comments are therefore much appreciated, and we hope to have the privilege of welcoming you to 15 on Orange Hotel again soon.

Kind Regards,
South Africa
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We spent two nights at this hotel in July. It is a modern, classy hotel situated near the Company Gardens and House of Parliament. From the moment we arrived, we were made to feel welcome. The staff were friendly and helpful. They upgraded our room to a suite which was a real surprise. There was a turndown service and a chocolate on the pillow each evening.

The restaurant was fantastic. There is a good variety of food, which was perfectly cooked and beautifully served. The staff greeted us by name and when we checked out the following morning the waiter from the previous evening again greeted us by name.

I can highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear SouthAfricaTraveller,

Thank you for the positive review of our hotel.

We are very happy to know you enjoyed your stay with us at 15 on Orange Hotel and we are looking forward to welcome you back to 15 on Orange when next your travels take you to Cape Town.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cape Town Central
Cape Royale Luxury Hotel
#33 of 109 in Cape Town Central
The Westin Cape Town
#24 of 109 in Cape Town Central

Been to African Pride 15 On Orange Hotel? Share your experiences!