The Pepper Club is a fantastic place, however for us there was one major flaw that wrecked our first night. The fact they have received 4/5 shows how good the rest of the place was.
On arrival the staff were excellent (this was a theme throughout our stay). We were taken to our room which had the most stunning corner view over table mountain. Given this was the first night of our honeymoon, we couldn't have asked of more. Great space, view, bathroom, bedroom.
The food and wine in the restaurant was excellent. We ended up eating there every night which hadn't been our initial plan. The service was excellent, and we enjoyed some great cocktails at the Paparazzi beforehand.
When we returned to our room on the first night, champagne and chocolate covered strawberries awaited us, a lovely touch and we enjoyed them overlooking the city at night. This was when the problem started. Given our room overlooked long street, even 16 floors up the music was unbearably loud to sleep even with earplugs. When I touched the window of the bedroom, the bass was shaking the windows. I phoned reception to ask when it would stop and was told 0430 (this was at around 2300).
The staff were very helpful, and gave us the option of different rooms. Each was almost as bad, and we decided to attempt to sleep in one of the others which was slightly further away from Long Street. This wasn't much better, so we moved the mattress through to the living area of the room closing the bedroom door. Although this was better with earplugs for my wife, I was still awake until about 0500 before eventually getting some sleep. We moved rooms to the back of the hotel the following day, and every other night was excellent noise wise. Word of warning; if you want the best views it is likely you will have to compromise for lack of sleep. It must be said, the staff did a great job giving the circumstances they were given.
We had a couples hot stone massage in the Spa. It was fantastic, easily the best massage i've had.
The maintenance of the hotel, notably the finer detail was sometimes lacking, although this maybe due to it being out of the busy season. The door to the toilet in our first room had come of the runners and was difficult (although not impossible) to use. One of the lifts had an inner wall removed, so was slightly shabby but there was a sign up explaining.
One of the gems of this place is the vintage cinema with couples love seats in the back row. We used this twice after dinner and it was great. In fact it was one of the highlights. There is a pretty good choice of films (we opted for Rocky Horror Show and Grease), you can enjoy your wine there and get free popcorn. Highly recommended!
Breakfast was below average for this type of hotel. Every other place we stayed on honeymoon (and indeed in Cape town in the past) does a made to order breakfast. Pepper Club goes for the style you get at Premier Inn in the UK, which is not what I would expect for such a hotel. Given the dinner was so good this was a disappointment. If you go towards the back end of the breakfast sitting as we did, expect shrivelled sausages!
Overall we had a great stay at Pepper Club, and will go back if we are in Cape Town. The hotel do need to consider the noise issue, and how guests can be warned about it beforehand, so they have a choice of view/noise. The staff are excellent, and we could not have asked more of them.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bound by Loop, Long, Pepper and Bloem Street, Pepperclub Hotel & Spa is situated in the heart of bustling Cape Town and at the foot of renowned Table Mountain and Lions Head. The hotel not only offers the ideal location, but also five star comfort and personalised service to suit the needs of both leisure and business travellers. Inspired by New York's chic interiors, the hotel consists of 210 generously appointed suites, all of which include spectacular views of Cape Town. Facilities at the hotel include, among others, the intimate Odeon cinema, a fully-equipped gymnasium and a swimming pool with panoramic views. Cayenne Spa, tucked away on the 8th floor of the hotel, offers sanctuary for guests with its modern aura and eclectic menu of modern treatments. Located on the ground floor is Pepperclub's exclusive Paparazzi Bar & Lounge and in-house restaurant, Sinatra's, which combines a stylish and modern setting with a menu inspired by European continental cuisine. The hotel also offers guests scheduled complimentary shuttles to the V&A Waterfront and Camps Bay, home to one of South Africa's most beautiful and picturesque beachfronts. It is here that you will also find our beach club facilities. Hotel guests will have exclusive VIP access to the beach club's showers, private lockers and changing and restroom facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Pepperclub Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pepper Club Luxury Hotel Cape Town Central
- Pepper Club Luxury Hotel And Spa
- Pepperclub Hotel & Spa Cape Town, South Africa