“Recommended”

Pepperclub Hotel & Spa
Ranked #36 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I stayed here for 4 nights. The bedroom was a good size, clean and comfortable. Large bed and good linen. The view of Table Mountain from my balcony on floor 14 was a bonus. The food in the restaurant was of good quality, well presented and good value. It's a slightly impersonal place but staff were pleasant and helpful. Service in the restaurant was slightly disorganised at times - plenty of staff at breakfast but not always well focussed. Noise from Long Street can be an issue at night.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Pepper_Club_PR, Public Relations Manager at Pepperclub Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Pepperclub Hotel & Spa on TripAdvisor. Your feedback was warmly received.

We are pleased to hear that you had a lovely stay with us and enjoyed the picturesque view of Table Mountain from your bedroom. We are very privileged to have some of Cape Town’s major tourist attractions right at our doorstep.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our establishment, hopefully in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 21 March 2014

I stayed at the hotel for 5 days including a weekend. The service was professional and when we ordered extra glasses to share the free wine with colleagues they were delivered within a few minutes. The hotel is within easy walking distance from the city centre and a large variety of restaurants. The personal attention at breakfast when placing orders made a good impression.

Room Tip: Rooms on the western side or on higher floors are quiet at night.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I stayed at Pepper Club Mar. 3-7, 2014. Had to wait at 2:30 p.m. to get in my room even though it had been booked for months. At first glance the room is very nice, large, nice balcony that even on the back corner of Loop and Pepper you can see Table Mt. Rochelle and Amad at the Concierge's desk were very helpful and saved my trip to Robben Island. A young blonde gal at the front desk was also helpful. But generally the service was not up to par. The free shuttle to V and A is very nice.
When I finally checked in I requested an adapter if one was available - yes they said they'd bring one to my room. By the time I checked out it had NEVER been delivered, I resorted to buying my own, but they did write down I got one so when I checked out they asked for it. I explained it was never delivered. Some, though not all of the bell boys would help you for a tip then disappeared quickly. Example, the young man with the hat took my bags from my driver, got me a towel and drink (I mistakenly tipped quite heavily) but when it was time to deliver my bags he stood by and had someone else do it. I found this is common at PC to hand off duties to two or three people so you might tip them all. Only once a fool! I might suggest that if you want some help or something done you ask a woman. The men all seemed preoccupied.
The breakfast was wonderful so if I can compliment the Pepper Club on one thing it is the breakfast. Lots of choices AND you can ask them to prepare eggs the way you want since they do not cook eggs in advance and put them in warming trays. Not all servers tell you this. Fruit, rolls, meats, cheese, cereal bar all excellent.
Concerning - when I checked into my room I noticed paper, hair and other bits of things on the carpet. Appeared it had not been vacuumed. The carpet also had several stains...did they put me in an undesirable room because I traveled on a Groupon or were others like this? After the first day I checked to see if these things had been vacuumed up and I even placed one of my own hairs on the table to see if it was dusted. When I left they were all still there.... hum. After the first day they no longer placed plastic bags in the garbage cans. The kitchen had a nice latte maker and you need to put the used refills in the garbage guess they don't care if it is a wet mess.
Last and most serious concern - by evening the bathroom always smelled like backed up sewer. You did not notice this during the day and I'm hoping it was because after a day of people showering and using the toilet there was an odor???? Hope that is all it was.
No, I did not complain to management because I had a full schedule and did not spend much time in the room. Still these things do not add up to 5 Star hotel by my standards. Also, frankly I figured complaints would fall on deaf ears based on the help I got from most folks at the front desk. I agree with the reviewer who said that they will tell you anything if they do not know the answer and not necessarily follow through with requests or concerns.
Pepper Club had many high profile guests while I was there, the Minister of Agriculture I believe stayed there. I dare say they might have been giving more attention to folks who were "high profile" rather than the average tourist.

Room Tip: Do not stay in a room on Long Street if you want to sleep. Mine was at the back corner of Pepper an...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank sdvergie
Pepper_Club_PR, Public Relations Manager at Pepperclub Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review the Pepperclub Hotel & Spa on TripAdvisor however we are concerned with your feedback. Our General Manager has kindly asked if you could please contact him directly on info@pepperclub.co.za or +27 (0)21 812 8888 in order to discuss the feedback of your stay with us. Kind regards,

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Stayed at the hotel for 3 nights - beautiful room but the service was really appalling! More 4 star but definitely not 5 star. I have stayed in better 4 star hotels before. The balcony outside my room was not cleaned during the entire period I was there. On my second day I found the robes had not been returned to the room - called housekeeping but four hours later these hadn't been brought back and took a call to reception to finally get these delivered to my room!

The room I was staying in not designed with women in mind as no vanity mirror in front and no place to use normal hair appliances - like flat iron. If you need to use the hair dryer you have to use it in the bathroom which is not ideal as can be steamy. No waste bins in the bathroom so if you are using facial cleansing pads you have to use the bin in the kitchen which in my case had no liner despite asking for it. This was a group booking as normally stay at the Vineyard hotel in Newlands or Southern Sun Waterfront (4 Star but excellent service levels for a busy business hotel) but personally would never stay at this hotel again. Management should do something about service levels - big let down. Very slow Wifi speeds in room - luckily I had my own 3G connection otherwise waste of time.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank LadyFebruary

Reviewed 9 March 2014

I have been staying at The Pepper Club Hotel and Spa for a few days. Im going to be here for two weeks. God help me.
The rooms are amazing. Im in a two bedroom apartment kind of room and the beds are wonderfully comfortable. The bathrooms are lovely. Warm bathroom design. Big shower. Big bath. Spacious and very clean.
On my arrival, I requested my small kitchen to be stocked so I can cook for myself, which is an option for guests who are staying for a long or short period. Since then I have asked another 6 times and yet it is still not stocked. Im not exaggerating. 6 times. A woman did arrive with two plates and a knife and fork. I asked again and someone arrived with a pot and a pan. So I then asked for spoons and a spatula so as to stir and 'cook' with. This arrived the next day. Tomorrow I shall ask for chopping knives, serving spoons and glasses. It almost feels like they don't want me to cook in this kitchen.
So the service is at Cape Town pace. It's also really friendly and polite, but friendly and polite does not a stocked kitchen make.

If you don't need your kitchen stocked, Pepper Club is a nice 5 star hotel. It's right next to Long Street so you're close to all bars and restaurants, which is good as the prices in Pepper Clubs restaurant are pretty high for SA standard.
Wifi is terrible, unless you're downstairs at the bar. If you're a foreigner, you're going to hate the wifi speed.

But again, the rooms are warm and comfy and the bathrooms great.

All in all, great hotel, lacking in service.

Room Tip: Corner rooms on the side facing the mountain, have balconies. Can get loud on Long Street side.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Carl B

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Fabulous mountain views. Very generous and luxurious rooms/suites let down by unbelievable noise from a one of the drinking bars in Long Street, deep bass sounds which almost lift the curtains, and this is on the 14th floor.. All people from our group who stayed on this side wanted to be moved to quieter rooms. Service very friendly but staff training is lacking. Slow inefficient breakfast service and other complaints due to poor management. Courtesy bus to Waterfront hit and miss and Camp Bay spa doesn't exist. Very central, but our older crowd found the surrounding streets unsavoury and Long Street scruffy and noisy and only ok if you part of a backpacker younger crowd and can handle the hassle. Not 5star but convenient for short business stay wearing earplugs.

Room Tip: Don't stay on Long Street side of the building if you want to sleep before 4 in the morning
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Pepper_Club_PR, Guest Relations Manager at Pepperclub Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Reviewed 28 February 2014

I spent 3 nights in this hotel during my trip. Room was fine and clean. The staff were generally friendly and lovely. I specially thank an outstanding employee ---- Mr.Bin Li whom gave the best help during the period of time when I stay here. He is very professional and nice.

Heard that the hotel has a fabulous spa, but to my disappointment, it closed so early.

Overall a good experience. Millions of thanks~

Room Tip: The room is better on higher floors.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends