“Pepper Club Hotel Cape Town”

Pepperclub Hotel & Spa
Ranked #44 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Pepper Club Hotel Cape Town”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Stayed at the Pepper Club Hotel in Cape Town.

Very friendly bar staff. Lovely personable dining room attendants. The people at the hotel are very warm and so hospitable, that I would recommend the hotel for this reason alone.

The hotel also has a private cinema and a wonderful spa!

Basic room was a bit poky in size but had a lovely deep bath. Location is ideal in so far as Long Street is just around the corner.

The dining room is lacking in character. It feels like, and is a dining room stuffed with so many tables, that you know it is aimed at tour bus visitors. On a busy day, it strikes you that the carfé-style dining room experience is completely incongruous with the 'luxury' 'boutique' label to which the owners obviously aspire.

The only complaint I have is that I had to ask - several times in fact - to have security ensure that guests were not smoking on the floors in what is clearly meant to be a non-smoking hotel. This happened at least 4 times.

Room Tip: Try the spa, book the private cinema, have a meal in Long Street
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Mark H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Pretoria
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Spent only one night, but noise from Long Street made for poor sleep. Perhaps the rooms could do with better isolation to block out noise levels. Great food in the restaurant, although presentation could be better. Tasty breakfast with good spread of cheeses and variety of foods. Good bed and spacious rooms with ok decoration. Perhaps not the best place for a family holiday due to neighborhood vibe at night and many business travelers. Lifts are rather confusing (use the fireman's lift and not the service lift). Great gym facility on 8th floor.
Overall, good location for stays to work at the national parliament and certainly an excellent choice for business travelers. I hope to visit again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Beejay80
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I stayed there for three days as I was conducting a workshop there.The hotel room, the conference venue, service, staff's professionalism and the food can't be faulted, it was a real 5 star experience. My problem was with the lifts. I was staying on the 6th floor and to get access there I had to ride up to the 8th floor where the gym and Spa is situated, then walk through the Spa to get to another lift at the other extreme end. as if that was not enough I decided to use the stairs one morning, but I could not access the reception through that route, I asked one man in an office there and he was unable to assist me. I also had the misfortune of getting a room that is directly opposite a night club and Wednesday and Thursday I could not sleep a wink. but otherwise everything else was superb.

Room Tip: Avoid East facing rooms, there is club opposite the hotel on that side which will really spoil your...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Jane M
Pepper_Club_PR, Public Relations Manager at Pepperclub Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Pepperclub Hotel & Spa on TripAdvisor however we are concerned with your feedback. Our General Manager has kindly asked if you could please make direct contact him on info@pepperclub.co.za or +27 (0)21 812 8888 in order to discuss the feedback of your stay with us.

Kind regards,
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

It makes such a great change experiencing good service, with a smile and alert staff in Cape Town. Lately I have found service SO bad ...sloppy staff who slouch around and act as if you're interrupting THEIR evening when you beg for attention. I spent the night at the Pepperclub Hotel and Spa (wish it had been longer). Had a wonderful experience and dinner..... fillet steak, perfectly prepared and beautifully presented in the intimate dining room.
Went out on the town later, how convenient that Bree streets bustling nightlife is right on their door step!!! Arrived back at 1am...greeted by the doorman who didn't interrogate me as if I were a wondering minstral, he gently asked me what room I was in...polite and warm.
the hotel has a 28 seater cinema which is great for an intimate movie for 2 with free popcorn or one can hire it for a movie viewing for friends, party, function or to watch a big rugby match.
Did I mention the views?!?!
8th floor outdoor pool area and our room - mountain veiws everywhere.
The suite we stayed in had a dining and lounge area as big as some decent flats. I was worried that the city noise would keep me awake, but they must have double glazing, slept like a baby.
I think I took photos of every crystal chandelier in the hotel - very stylish dècor.
A refreshing experience...

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Mandy N
Ahmedabad
Reviewed 6 August 2014

To start off our Honeymoon, we stayed in Cape town for 3 nights at Pepper Club in February 2014. My husband and I had a great stay at the hotel. (It was booked by our agent). The bedroom was big enough and the bathroom was huge. The rooms were clean. Since the hotel knew that it was our honeymoon, they ensured to make us feel good. (We had a surprise wine and chocolate coated strawberries in our room on the very first day. Well done !) The room- service is well priced. The reception staff is very friendly and helpful. Not to mention the food, the breakfast was outstanding and of great value. The quality of the food was superb. Also Great Location! Quite a happening place and many good restaurants nearby, with walking distance of 5-10 mins.

Room Tip: Choose room on top floors, preferably above 7-8th floor to have noise free nights..
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Palak S
Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Most definitely not a 5 star experience.

Upon arrival we waited to be checked in for about 5 mins before anyone even acknowledged we were waiting. My wife had paid for the room upfront on their website but after repeatedly explaining this and sending every form of proof of payment i could find they eventually let us go to our room. When we went to check out they requested we make payment yet again. After a bit more searching they found our payment on their system, surely in this day and age this is automated since we made the payment directly on their site.

We eventually made our way to our room, we requested a room with a view of the mountain but got a room on the opposite side of the hotel. I questioned this at check out and they explained that we would have been put in our room because of the noise but as i said to the front desk, we were told we were in a room with a view of the mountain but this was not the case. I have to wonder how well the gentleman who checked us in actually knew his hotel.

The decor in the room was okay but looked cheap. All of the towels were fraying and looked like towels that where there since the hotel opened. The bedding was terrible, the sheet did not cover the mattress and the mattress did not have a mattress protector so it was discoloured and stained. The sheet also had holes in it.

When trying to find something to watch on the TV, a few of the channels did not work and had error messages.

This hotel is generally very noisy but it is in the city centre so it is to be expected.

My wife went down for breakfast, she said the food was okay but her table was not level and she had paper serviettes instead of linen.

Overall our experience was terrible and unless they give all departments of the hotel a review they are not going to succeed as a 5 star hotel in Cape Town as there is a lot of 5 star choice with much better value.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RolandCPT
Pepper_Club_PR, Public Relations Manager at Pepperclub Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Pepperclub Hotel & Spa. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Our General Manager has been in direct contact with you and is personally investigating this matter.

Kind regards,
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Really enjoyed my stay... Beautiful comfortable rooms, a bath tub to die for, staff for whom nothing is too much.
The restaurant can however improve on consistency- ranged from excellent one night to really mediocre the next ... Pity the noise coming from club across the road throughout the night will keep me away in future

Stayed July 2014