“Stunning trip with Patrick”
Review of Avian Leisure

Avian Leisure
Ranked #189 of 333 Tours in Cape Town Central
Cape Town Central, South Africa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Stunning trip with Patrick”
Reviewed 9 September 2013

During September 2013 a group of 6 friends were taken on a trip to view the amazing spring flowers and birds of the west coast of South Africa near Cape Town. The whole experience was superb with excellent planning and management. I would have no hesitation in high recommending Patrick as a very caring and capable tour leader with an extensive knowledge of the countryside and its people.

Visited September 2013

Cardiff, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A wonderful experience for me and family”
Reviewed 22 January 2013

I booked a birding trip with Patrick and trips around the Cape and winelands for me and family.
The birding trip was a lifetime experience with a trip to the Western Cape reserve and Strandfontein to look at wildfowl and shorebirds. Patrick knew exactly where to go and what to see and I had 62 new lifetime birds. The trips with my family were superbly organised ad a great delight and I cannot thank Patrick and his Wife Marie-Louise enough for organising a truly wonderful experience for me and family. All of this was arranged from the UK by email.

Visited January 2013
2 Thank Ronald E
Liege, Belgium
“Outstanding”
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We have been birding in more than 20 countries in the last few years and would like to comment on the superb quality of the services offerred by Avian Leisure in Southern Africa. This 3-week trip was by far our most rewarding from the birding/photo points of view. What we liked:(1) Interactive, detailed programming of the tour, with cost and itinerary agreed upon and fulfilled; (2) birding experience of Patrick who took us to those places where specific birds could be seen; (3) Patrick's knowledge of photography and help when of us was sick.

Visited August 2011
Jacksonville, Florida
131 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 149 helpful votes
“Sep 2005 Bird Tour With Patrick Amazing”
Reviewed 14 February 2012

By all means, do your S. African Bird Watching with Patrick Cardwell. We consider Patrick to be the father of S. African Birding, as he has trained many of those now running Rock Jumpers and Trogon Tours. Our experience with these latter companies is that on receives short shrift if not using services several times yearly. With Patrick and Marie-Louise, personal attention and specific birding/wildlife/naturalist or even golfing needs receive the utmost attention. This company is truly client oriented and has the experience needed to provide an uniquely satisfying tour. Be sure to stay in their B&B for a night or two, as the Cape Town experience received will be exceptional.

Visited March 2011
Three Rivers, California
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“A Fabulous day trip!”
Reviewed 14 July 2011

My Daughter(age 10) and I spent the day with Patrick Cardwell of Avian Leisure. I had read a review on trip advisor and decided to contact Patrick about a bird watching day trip out of Capetown. I told Patrick that we loved bird watching and that my daughter is an animal enthusiast and he put together a wonderful day of bird and animal watching/sighting along the western coast.

Patrick arranged everything from picking us up from our hotel to a picnic, coffee breaks, scenic stops, amazing bird watching, scenic drives along the coast , setting up a scope and visiting a bird blind. He even had extra binoculors if we needed them. We traveled to many sites including West Coast National Park. We were even fortunate enough to spot an African Wildcat and then sit and watch it make a kill. I am an avid photographer and Patrick was amazing in his ability to not only spot birds and animals but also his ability to coax birds out into the open so that I could get good shots of them. My daughter had a great time and not once did she complain about being bored! Patrick was professional, patient and such good conversation. We spotted over 75 different species, which was amazing for wintertime birding, and saw giraffes, kudu and too many other animals to list.

Patrick has an amazing a wealth of knowledge and was an incredible guide. My daughter and I consider our birding trip with Patrick to be one of the highlights of our South African visit. I look forward to taking a guided safari with Patrick in the near future. If you enjoy birds, an outing with Patrick is a must!

Visited June 2011