“That sweet spot: Good food and good service”
Review of Greek Fisherman - MOVED

Greek Fisherman
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Groups, View
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Take a seat and get a glorious view of Table Mountain while you enjoy seafood and meats grilled over open charcoals. Here at the Greek Fisherman, we are proud of our roots, so expect traditional Greek and Mediterranean dishes. But, we also believe in moving with the times, so we've added a modern twist to our otherwise classic cuisine. With our recently-renovated restaurant, you'll see what we mean by "modern with a twist". So, bring your friends, bring the whole family! And share freshly-made Mediterranean breads, accompanied by generous helpings of laughter and a magnificent sunset... come share the Greek Fisherman experience!
Reviewed 26 December 2011

Stuffed calamari tubes are seldom seen on a menu. This - and their grilled baby calamari - is one of the reasons we always return to this eatery in the spectacular Cape Town waterfront setting. Service is friendly and efficient and special requests never seem to be a problem. Keep it up, Greek Fisherman!

barrynieuwoudtcg, General Manager at Greek Fisherman, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us at Greek Fisherman. It is always great to hear positive comments. We take pride in a fantastic history of 20 years at Greek Fisherman. Many thanks once again, Barry

Reviewed 25 December 2011

My family and I visited The Greek Fisherman recently and had a truly fantastic dining experience.

Myself, not being much of a seafood person, wanted to have a steak, and when I was informed that we were able to cross order from City Grill steak house, next door, I was over the moon.

My girlfriend and mom's seafood plattes were perfectly done, and our friendly waitress and the manager on duty, consistantly ensured that everything was running as smoothly as possible.

I would like to thank Marton and Adelle for their exceptional attention to detail and for the excellent wine recommendations.

Being the oldest restaurant in the waterfront, quality is what is to be expected, and qaulity is what was delivered.

Thank you for a wonderful evening.

Reviewed 25 December 2011

My business partner and I recently visited The Greek Fisherman in the Waterfront on the recommendation of a client.

We were enjoying some wine, when we were frightened by the outbursts of a clearly intoxicated guest at a nearby table. The man in question, continued to shout and have a go at waiters, and after speaking to a manager, the guest was still not dealt with in a suitable manner.

The drunk guest in question, stubled over to our table, to engage in small talk, and the staff and management clearly either chose NOT to deal with the situation, or were unsure how to handle him as the man was allowed to wonder freely for about 30min before paying and eventually leaving.

This was an extremely embarcing situation for me to be in, as my business partner from the UK asked me if this was the norm in "eligant" South African restaurants.

The experience has left me questioning the integrity of the establishment, as surely we were not the only table to feel agrieved by the drunk guest?

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Greek Fisherman. We have a proud history of excellent service and food at Greek Fisherman and we will definitely investigate this matter further. I am really disappointed to hear that you had a less than satisfactory evening with us. I can assure you that this is not the norm at our restaurant. I really hope that you will join us again and experience our restaurant in the proud tradition we have established over 20 years of trade. Many thanks for bringing it to our attention. Barry

Reviewed 17 December 2011

Difficult to understand that there are positive reviews about the food. We were a group of 3 locals and 3 foreigners. The waiters were efficient and very pleasant. The food from the breads, octopus, sirloin, fillet and Tuna was unbelievably poor. Everything tasted like balsamic vinegar, the thin tuna steak was dry and hard and the steaks were undercooked and tasteless not improved by sending it back. The basting was tasteless. Presentation was amateurish and messy.
The manager ( presumed to be ) appeared intoxicated and anxious who dropped and broke crockery behind us and then later dropped our camera when volunteering to take pictures of the group. To his credit he offered to refund the cost of two dishes

It must be more than just a case of a bad chef on a bad day.

Reviewed 7 December 2011

My husband and I ate here on our first night in Cape Town, and what a culinary welcome we received!
Firstly it was getting late into the evening and a saturday night but a table was still found for us, outside at our request.
We had a very helpful and knowledgeable waiter who was able to recommend wines to go with our food, which by the way was outstanding!
To start we had a bread board, chicken liver saute and grilled sardines, followed by stuffed squid stuffed prawns, everything we had was well presented and well cooked. We thoroughly enjoyed every morsel that we ate.
We did not feel that we were crammed in anywhere, having plenty of space between us and the next table, nor was we made to feel rushed at anytime. Overall i would recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting Cape Town and we ourselves hope to be back