“A disappointment”

Greek Fisherman
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: View, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Take a seat and get a glorious view of Table Mountain while you enjoy seafood and meats grilled over open charcoals. Here at the Greek Fisherman, we are proud of our roots, so expect traditional Greek and Mediterranean dishes. But, we also believe in moving with the times, so we've added a modern twist to our otherwise classic cuisine. With our recently-renovated restaurant, you'll see what we mean by "modern with a twist". So, bring your friends, bring the whole family! And share freshly-made Mediterranean breads, accompanied by generous helpings of laughter and a magnificent sunset... come share the Greek Fisherman experience!
Guildford
“A disappointment”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We had some wonderful meals during our holiday in South Africa, but sadly this was not one of them. None of us particularly enjoyed either our starters or main courses, and service was slow given that the restaurant was pretty quiet. The location is good, and table heaters meant we were warm sitting outside. Also quite expensive, but I suspect that is linked to the V&A Waterfront location...

• Visited August 2014
barrynieuwoudtcg, General Manager at Greek Fisherman, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Hi

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on tripadvisor.com. We are really disappointed to hear that your experience didn't live up to expectation. We are extremely proud of our 22 year history in the V&A Waterfront and we take pride in our food and service.

We have strict measures in place to ensure that this type of situation doesn't happen and it looks as if these rules and regulations weren't followed on the day. For this, I can only humbly apologize. I wish that you informed us on the day, in order for us to have rectified the situation.

I hope that you will give us another opportunity on your next visit to Cape Town, to show you what we are all about.

Many thanks once again for informing us, as without feedback, we are not able to improve on service, food and structures.

• Greek first
  • Turkish first
Cape Town, South Africa
“Very Disappointing Service”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

My boyfriend and I went to The Greek Fisherman this weekend for supper, and we were extremely disappointed at the quality of service we were shown while we were there.

We were shown to our table by the manager who was friendly enough and efficient, and we were given menus. It took 10 minutes before our waitress arrived at our table to introduce herself and before we could give our drinks orders, she assured us she would be "back in a minute". A further 10 minutes passed before she re-appeared, and by that time, we realised that we had better order drinks, starters and main as she had a tendency to disappear for long periods of time.

We placed our orders and she told she would "be right back" with our drinks, and about another 10 minutes passed before she finally came back with my glass of wine and my boyfriend's beer. By that time we had been waiting about a half hour just for drinks and we were feeling agitated. I asked the waitress to bring me some ice for my white wine as it was warm and she told me she would bring it, but never did.

She finally brought us our starters of Bruchetta and spinach and feta phyllo rolls (sans the ice) which were quite tasty. We couldn't help but notice that our waitress was being especially attentive to her larger tables of 6 and 8, but never came to us once that night to ask us how we were doing or if we wanted anything. We weren't the only ones experiencing neglectful service.

The table next to us which also consisted of a couple had sat down not long after us and had not even received their drinks yet, while we ate our starters. Only when the manager came to their table and asked them if their waitress was taking care of them, to which they replied no, did they finally get their order taken.

Our mains took over an hour to arrive during the whole evening and, at last, we got brought our meals. My yellowtail was piping hot and delicious, as was my boyfriend's fish, but we had to wait to be brought cutlery as our waitress had not replaced our cutlery after she had cleared our starters. Once again, she did not check on us once after she brought our mains, and was only attending to the larger tables where she was no doubt making a larger tip.

We had to call the manager to ask him to bring the bill as she disappeared again after clearing our mains plates. All in all, a very unpleasant experience which was a real pity as the food was actually delicious. Very dissapointing service, despite lovely food, and I would not go back there or recommend it to people.

1 Thank Phoebs2014
barrynieuwoudtcg, General Manager at Greek Fisherman, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Hi

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am extremely disappointed to hear about your poor service experience at Greek Fisherman. We pride ourselves in quality food and service. I would like to investigate this further, as we have various systems in place to ensure that this type of service mistakes do not happen. I will send you a direct message in order to get some more information.

Once again, accept my sincerest apology regarding this and be assured that we will ensure that this never happens again.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Greek Food with Beautiful View”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

This place will highly recommended for the people who love greek food by the waterfront. Amazing view of Sea with Mountain back drop on the other side, crazy nice food with highly trained staffs. What else is needed...

1 Thank Desidudedxb
Hi

Thank you for the wonderful review.
We are delighted that we impressed you on both service and food.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Greek Good variety of Good food”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

My visits have confirmed Excellent food

My experience marred by expensive portions being so small at lean towards stinginess.Also the servers finger nails encrusted with dirt to the extent of being BLACK.

Yes I will return. The location at The Waterfront is ideal.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank 871edieh
Hi

Thank you for the review. We are disappointed to read your comments, as we receive compliments on a daily basis regarding the food quality and value for money. We will however investigate and rectify where necessary. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Regards
Stellenbosch, South Africa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome tapas”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Visited Greek with my wife and loved the selection of tapas and platters with a fresh crisp Sauvignon Blanc and a great view, atmosphere and waiter.

Visited July 2014
Hi

Thank you for the wonderful review.

Regards