“Excellent experience”

Ranked #39 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Atlanta, Georgia
“Excellent experience”
Reviewed 11 June 2012

I stayed here on Points for 5 nights in late May, and the experience was very positive. Things I liked:
1. I'm HHonors Diamond. I received a tremendous room upgrade on my stay. We were in a 2 room suite which was amazing. HUGE room with an amazing view of Table Mountain.

2. Concierge service was terrific. We had great recommendations on tours.

3. Shuttle service was timely and well run. Mercedes E class picked us up at the airport for a shockingly modest fee, and the mini-van shuttle to the fisherman's wharf area was free.

4. Nice Executive Lounge. Nothing special, but solid.

What I didn't like:
1. The mosque down the street is between the hotel and Table Mountain. We were on the 8th floor and the prayers are sent through an amplifier in the area. It didn't wake us but you could hear it.

2. Not walking distance to much great food.

Terrific staff. Great room. Would stay there again in a heart beat.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor room with a view of Table Mountain.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank uga_travel
MarkusFritz, General Manager at Hilton Cape Town City Centre, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Hilton Cape Town City Centre. I was pleased to learn that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you would return to our property.

Your loyalty as a Diamond member is appreciated and I am happy that we were able to spoil you with an upgrade to a 2 bedroom Suite.

Due to our location in the traditional Bo-Kaap area, some guests may be aware of the noise from the mosque. As a solution I can suggest requesting a pool facing room during your next stay. Your comfort is our top priority and we will do our best to accommodate your request.

Your positive feedback is appreciated and have been shared with the rest of my team.

Looking forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Markus Fritz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Ramrod Key, Florida
Reviewed 9 June 2012

I really am pleased that I stayed at this Hilton property. They had excellent service, an amazing breakfast included and was centrally located close to my meeting and attractions of the area. They even had dedicated staff to arranging trips to match my need for quick visits to the sights of the area.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
, General Manager at Hilton Cape Town City Centre, responded to this review, 6 July 2012
Dear Valued Guest

I am very pleased that you enjoyed our central location and attractions offered in the immediate area.

Your positive comments regarding our excellent service is appreciated and have been relayed to the Concierge and rest of my team.

I am honoured that we were able to create vacation memories for you and look forward to welcome you back soon!

SHEEPY MAGNA
Reviewed 1 June 2012

I stayed here whilst visiting my daughter
All in all it's a very nice hotel I would recommend it I felt entirely safe dispite being a woman travelling alone

• Stayed January 2012
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at The Hilton Cape Town City Centre.

I was pleased to learn that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you would recommend Hilton Cape Town City Centre to others.

Your comfort is our priority and I look forward to welcome you and your daughter back in the near future.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2012

A standard 'in town' large hotel with welcoming staff. Best suited to business traveler rather than holiday maker. But we could not understand why only Halal food was served. No bacon for breakfast! This aspect would put me off if we ever go back.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at the Hilton Cape Town City Centre.

Your positive feedback regarding our welcoming staff is appreciated and have been shared with the rest of my team.

As a global hospitality company, we serve as a meeting place for people from all walks of life. In an effort to meet the needs of our diverse guests and the communities in which we operate, Hilton Cape Town City Centre provides a Halaal-friendly environment.

Two of our restaurants, Bistro 126 and Mezbaan have been certified as Halaal by SANHA (South African National Halaal Authority). Although we do not have bacon, beef bacon is available as alternative.

I hope that this did not negatively affect your stay and that you were still able to create magical memories in Cape Town.

Looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Surrey
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Stayed Febuary in a mountain view room. Okay view of mountain but a fast and busy road that side of the hotel creates a lot of noise. Check in was a nightmare took ages my Hilton Honors card was not recogised they said they would sort it out did not bother in the end. Safe in the room was not open (left locked by the previous guests). Should have been checked when the room was made up? Another delay while that was resolved otherwise the room was fine. 15 minute walk into city centre maybe 20 to the waterfront,there is a shuttle from the hotel but we never used it. Expensive breakfast was available but not grea there are a number of other local restaurants within walking distance. We have stayed in Capetown on many occasions and there are better hotels available at the same price range. Holiday inn Express has a great location and is better value. Overall experience was average it should have been great but no one seemed to care.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BerlindaSurrey
Dear Valued Guest

I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and frustration you experienced with regards to shortcoming in service received from the Front Office and Housekeeping staff.

At Hilton we pride ourselves in offering true Hilton Hospitality and I regret to read that you did not feel cared for. Your feedback is viewed in a very serious light and your report was communicated to the relevant Heads of Department to take the necessary corrective measures.

Your loyalty to the brand is appreciated and I once again apologise for any inconvenience caused. I hope that we have the pleasure to redeem our services to you and welcome you back soon.

Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 22 May 2012

My wife and I stayed 3 nights in this hotel last April as part of a trip to South Africa. It's a good business hotel with nice decorated room, professional service, comfortable bed / pillows and a good breakfast.
It's located in the Malay Quarter in Cape Town. You can get good pictures from this picturesque neighborhood. It's also located 5 min drive to a good shopping area with nice restaurants (V&A Waterfront). Although it looks like a good idea to walk to V&A, I wouldn't recommend this since you have to walk in the middle of a large avenue in a business area. We tried that and met some drug users in the area.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Hilton Cape Town City Centre, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
Dear Valued Guest

I am very pleased that you enjoyed our location in the traditional Bo-Kaap area.

Your positive comments regarding our professional service and comfortable Hilton beds are appreciated.

Looking forward to welcome you back to more picture perfect moments!

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,180 helpful votes
Reviewed 19 May 2012

We stayed here for a total of 5 nites (1 using points, 2 using cash and points and 2 with cash). Of these, 1 nite was comped because of a major service issue. As per the HHonors program these days, the points for each property now vary according to demand and season and are not fixed unlike other hotel programs. At 35000 ppoints a nite, it is very expensive and perhaps not good value. At 17500 points plus $50 per nite, it is not bad value. At $350 per nite, it is ridiculously priced!

As a HHonors DIamond member I was upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite for the entire stay that included breakfast in the Executive Lounge and wifi. The suite was modern and spacious, with a separate powder room in the living area. There was a wonderful view of the Table Mountain from the room. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in.

This property 'became' a HIlton property just a year ago, and therefore the Executive Lounge does not meet with the ususal high standards of Hilton lounges. First of all, it is not on the Executive floor or a higher floor but on a mezzanine floor. It appears to have been set up in a makeshift function room. There is no receptionist or any one to monitor or check who gets in there. At breakfast time there would be just one waiter who would struggle to keep up with all the guests. Tables were not cleared, food was not refilled, coffee machine rarely worked, a common item like cornflakes was not always available, butter had to be asked for and so on.....In the evening, there were never any vegetarian snacks. It just did no t ppear that any one was in charge of this Lounge.

The concierge desk is very helpful with information, maps etc. We found the area around teh hotel quite safe and secure. The hotel is within walking distance of almost everything in central Cape Town.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest

As a Diamond Member your loyalty to the brand is greatly appreciated and I am delighted that we were able to upgrade your room to a modern and spacious Suite.

I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the shortcomings in service received in the Executive lounge. Your feedback is appreciated and have been shared with the Food & Beverage Manager who has taken the necessary corrective measures. Your comments regarding the location of the Executive Lounge will be noted for future planning and design.

Your positive comments regarding the concierge desk is appreciated and have been shared with the rest of my tea.

Looking forward to welcome you back soon.