“Good location, many pleasant staff, but a thievery problem they do not want to admit”

Hilton Cape Town City Centre
Ranked #41 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Hudson, Canada
Reviewed 19 November 2013

This hotel is in a good location, close to Long Street, and easy to get to.

There is a shuttle service to the waterfront which could continue a little later than it does (last run at 18h00 I think).

Many of the lobby staff and Exec Lounge / Pool Bar staff are excellent - they have good memories, they remember customers, etc.

The hotel is great at recognising HHONORS members and giving them access to room upgrades and/or Exec Lounge.

Rooms are well appointed and generally clean (have had no issues here).

The biggest problem in this hotel is thievery. I have forgotten money in my computer bag twice. Both times it was stolen. While I completely recognise that the hotel warns customers to keep valuables locked away, this hotel is in complete denial about its thievery problem. I wonder if the fact that they do not take it seriously is part of the problem. I have had very different experiences in other hotels in Cape Town - once the housekeeping staff actually catalogued all of the foreign currency I had carelessly left out and taken it to security for safekeeping- for their own protection. This has not been my experience at this property. The first time I reported a theft (noticed about 2 hours before check-out) I filled in a report upon checking out of the hotel which the security manager (Barney something) said he never saw. He never did provide a satisfactory report after the first reported theft and had to be reminded several times. There was also never a resolution of the second theft. Again I blame only myself, but one does have to feel some level of trust between oneself and those that have access to your room. Seeing several similar reviews on this site has proven to me that the problem is widespread, and from my personal experience not treated seriously enough.

Room Tip: The rooms facing Wale street on higher floors have the best views of Lion's Head and Table Mount...
4 Thank Hudson_Globetrotter
MarkusFritz, General Manager at Hilton Cape Town City Centre, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments about our hotel location and complimentary shuttle service to the waterfront.

I am very pleased to read the compliments of our Team Members and our HHonors loyalty program.

With regards to the other problem you mentioned and after talking to our Security manager I can confirm that he has met with you and also forwarded the relevant reports to you via email as requested.

As a result of this information being shared with us previously, we have taken precaution during room cleaning but have not yet received any comments from you since.

It would be a pleasure meeting you in person on your return stay to discuss this concern with myself and our Security manager.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Yours sincerely,

Markus Fritz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London, England
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

Booked twin room with a friend as part of holiday stay in cape town. As my friend is gold card with Hilton they had upgraded room to executive we were told at check in. The lifts however signalled that executive rooms were on a different floor to ours so not sure if we were in a upgraded room or not. Judging by the size of the room I would think not as the two large single beds didnt leave much spare space in the rather compact room. However awesome view out to table mountain and bed was very comfy.
Main gripe was the bathroom. The fittings, bath and huge shower were all fantastic. Problem was that it had a frosted glass sliding door and a patterned glass panel next to that which meant that it wasn't properly closed off from main room. Now wether travelling with friends or a partner, I have no desire to see or hear (or smell) what is going on in the bathroom. The doorway itself was about less than a metre away from one of the beds. Really cool looking but really, bathrooms should be sealed off with proper lockable doors. Highly unimpressed.
Breakfast was a great selection and all tasty. Again due to my friends gold card we had access to the executive area. A very bland unininviting area with crisps/biscuits laid out with drinks And alcohol available for few hours in eve.
All in all great hotel just totally ruined in my opinion by the stupid bathroom.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Adam R
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Brief & concise...Room was filthy! From the toilet, to the sheets, to the WALLS. Go elsewhere with your money. Only good thing, free shuttle to the waterfront. Travel to Sea Point which is just a few more minutes further out. Two nights was more than enough for us to be there. Unfortunately it was our last stop before returning home, and by far the worst stay out of our entire trip to South Africa.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

3 Thank 1Marisol13
MarkusFritz, General Manager at Hilton Cape Town City Centre, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying and sharing your recent experience at Hilton Cape Twon City Centre on this platform.

I was dissapointed to hear that you were not satisfied with the cleanliness of your room. Your comments have been viewed in a very serious light and have been passed on to the Executive Housekeeper.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the complimentary shuttle service.

I wish to welcome you back in the near future in order to redeem our services to you.

Yours sincerely,

Kyalami, South Africa
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Enjoyed a one night (late) stay in this hotel. Laundry quickly pressed my shirt and steam pressed my suit at 10pm at night. Nicely adorned room and bathroom. Perfect location for walking into the city centre for business. Quant cape malay quarter up street behind hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

MarkusFritz, General Manager at Hilton Cape Town City Centre, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Hilton Cape Town City Centre on this platform.

Your positive comments about the laundry service, comfortable rooms and prime location are greatly appreciated and I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 9 November 2013

A very nicely appointed room and the lighting is placed so that it is useful, unlike many hotels were it seems designed to be romantic but useless. The parquetry floor combined with an interconnecting door (securely locked of course) could lead to noise problems but my neighbours seemed to go to bed early so was not a problem.
The area seems fine but I was cautious as from my room I could watch the homeless people sleeping on the other side of Wale St. If you have a room on a lower floor overlooking Wale St you may be woken by the very early morning laundry truck. When you do wake up you have a good view of Table Mountain, subject to the weather naturally.
Staff are pleasant, helpful and attentive, even if it did take a couple of hours to deliver the requested iron to the room. They were full of apologies about that and even got to the point of offering to do my ironing for me - I declined, and the iron had just turned up anyway.
Breakfast buffet range is smaller than some similar hotels but is quite satisfactory and is beautifully presented. You can ask for hot chocolate instead of tea and coffee if you like.
There is a free hourly shuttle to the waterfront until 6pm. 100 meg wifi is free each 24 hours.
Would happily stay again.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Hilton Cape Town City Centre with the TripAdvisor community.

I am pleased to learn that you had an enjoyable stay with us, but would like to sincerely apologize for the housekeeping issue raised in your comment. Please be assured that incidents such as these are certainly not in keeping with the high standards we strive to maintain and I have shared your report with the Executive Housekeeper, who will review the matter.

Your positive comments regarding our rooms and breakfast offer are much appreciated and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Stayed here for business and found the staff friendly and helpful, the room itself was very nice. I could walk to see quite a lot and the waterfront was just a short taxi ride. The concierge desk was helpful. Would recommend it

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
MarkusFritz, General Manager at Hilton Cape Town City Centre, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for staying with Hilton Cape Town City Centre during your recent visit to Cape Town.

Your positive comments, pointing out our central location, comfortable rooms and friendliness of team members are much appreciated and I have relayed them to the rest of my team.

Thank you for your recommendation and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Hilton Cape Town is a small hotel centrally located in the CBD (or Downtown for our American friends). I stayed for a business trip and found the hotel clean, quiet and relaxing. Particularly noteworthy was the friendliness of the staff. Shuttles run to the Waterfront area every hour. The conciege desk was very helpful in providing options for eating out. Not recommended to people looking for a resort size hotel, but if your preference is more at the boutique end, then this could be the hotel for you.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review Hilton Cape Town City Centre on TripAdvisor. I am particularly pleased to receive such kind comments about our team members and to know that our efforts to provide excellent customer service are represented by each and every person in the hotel.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future,