“Contemporary Hotel, nice safe walk to Waterfront”

Hilton Cape Town City Centre
Ranked #41 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Charlotte, NC
“Contemporary Hotel, nice safe walk to Waterfront”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I spent 2 days in Cape Town by myself while waiting to join an adventure tour. I used my Hilton points and selected this hotel for it's closeness to the waterfront. My room was again much nicer than any American Hilton's and the concierge lounge again, a veritable feast. The lounge was small, but it was just steps from the pool area and outdoor tables. Having missed lunch the first day I ate a the hotel restaurant, something I rarely do. My lamb kabob wrap with yogourt dressing was scrumptious. I never felt uncomfortable walking from the hotel to the waterfront as security seemed to be everywhere. My only complaint with this hotel was the concierge deskclerks who while very polite, did not seem to be well trained. I had to involve the manager twice to help me get my lost luggage delivered, and to assist with a double booking for the same day. That being said, everyone on the staff was always smiling and very polite.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
MarkusFritz, General Manager at Hilton Cape Town City Centre, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

While I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed the friendliness of our Front Office team, I will certainly review and address mentioned shortcomings in training. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused with regards to the above.

Your compliment for the restaurant is much appreciated and will certainly be passed on to the Executive Chef and his team.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Cape Town and the hotel soon.

Markus Fritz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed over for new year 2013=14, here.
The location is very good all the market being nearby.
The staff has taken special care to make the stay with family awesomely comfortable.
Enjoyed carnival from room windows.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your great review on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to learn that you and your family thoroughly enjoyed your stay at the Hilton Cape Town City Centre. Your kind comment about my team is much appreciated.

The Cape Minstrel Carnival is one of Cape Town’s oldest celebrations. It returns to grace the streets of the Mother City with its music, culture and festive atmosphere every year. Located in the City Centre our guests have first class seats to witness the spectacle.

Thank you for staying with us and my team and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Cologne, Germany
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I spend few days at the Hilton Cape town and unfortunately I forgot my shirt and my jacket. 20 min after my check out I realized that and I called the Hotel. The person on the desk confirmed me they have it. The person asked me if they should bring it or if I'll pick it up. As this was my mistake I told to this person to leave my things at the front desk and that I'll pick them up by myself on the next day. When I arrived the next day the problem started. After a long discussion the front desk manger told me my things are lost and the can't find them. I spend approx. 1.5 hours to clarify this matter. The front desk manager told me that he needs to ask one special person but this person is not in at this day. I had several meetings in Cape Town so I asked this person to give me a call ones they will find it. Few ours later I got the call which again confirmed me that they found it. He offered me to bring it to my new hotel in Camps Bay. As the front desk manger told the cars were a bit busy I told him, I don't need it same day but latest next day in the morning. When I checked this matter in my new hotel next day afternoon my things didn't arrived so I called them again and the person at Hilton told me that he understood it wrong and that I have to pick it up or they will charge me the cab. This kind of service is for me not ok for a five star hotel. I went there to pick it up and they lost, I spend 1,5 hours in the lobby to clarify and after they found it they want to charge me for mistakes bred by the Hilton staff. :(

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
MarkusFritz, General Manager at Hilton Cape Town City Centre, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience and frustration you experienced. The confusion regarding the whereabouts of your clothing is absolutely unacceptable and I have requested an investigation as to where the miscommunication occurred, which lead to this unfortunate chain of events.

Please be assured that this incident is certainly the exception and we will take the necessary steps to prevent such a situation from happening again. Your feedback is seen in a serious light and the matter will be reviewed with the respective team members and managers. At our hotel we take pride in offering true Hilton Hospitality and I deeply regret your disappointment during your last visit.

Once again I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused and I hope that despite this unfortunate experience we will have the opportunity of redeeming our services to you at some point in the future.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We stayed here recently on a visit to Cape Town and we were very disappointed with this Hilton and found the service to be extremely poor compared to Hiltons worldwide (we are diamond status so have stayed in many Hilton hotels). The concierge was not proactive and we had to prompt them on a few items such as booking Table Mountain to avoid the queues and advise on places to visit around cape point. The service was extremely poor and we had to call many times to get an extra bed put it despite requesting this before arriving, the bell boy took his own sweet time to come up and the in room dining was very slow in delivering food. The breakfast for very limited (for vegetarians) and was not offered any alternatives, some of the staff was very condescending and as a guest of the hotel it was not appreciated. The only positive was the size of the room which we were upgraded to based on a status, but the bathroom was odd with a glass panel enabling other guests in the room to look in. We had to request specially for the bath soaps and gels to be put into our bathroom, disappointing.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Kirpal S
MarkusFritz, General Manager at Hilton Cape Town City Centre, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.

I am sorry to learn that you were disappointed with your recent stay at the hotel and would like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused.
Your feedback is viewed in a very serious light and your report was communicated to the relevant managers for review. Please be assured that the raised issues are certainly not in keeping with the high standards we strive to maintain.

Kindly note that our breakfast selection is served according to Hilton Worldwide guidelines, however, we appreciate your feedback and look out for further opportunities to extend the selection.

I am pleased that you enjoyed our spacious rooms and hope that my team and I will have the opportunity of welcoming you back at some point in the future.

Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Outstanding during December holiday season. Well situated, near Table Mountain, Victoria Water Front and Restaurants. In house facilities excellent, Sauna, Gym and Pool. Will I stay in future in this hotel, it is a definitely YES

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your 5 star review on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay, mentioning the prime location as well as our state of the art facilities.

Thank you for being our guest and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Oregon Coast, Oregon
Reviewed 25 December 2013

We've been to South Africa (via Cape Town) 10 times for business and vacation but have never stayed here even though my husband is a highest level of Diamond with Hilton. We usually spend 1 -3 nights in Cape Town before heading off on Safari in other places or heading home. The downtown location is ok and near the beautiful "Company Gardens", but not as convenient to other attractions in the city. Staff was nice but we had to wait quite a while to check in as well as checking out (express check out was not an option this time). We also had a bit of trouble with the internet. Not acceptable in a business class, large city hotel.

The executive lounge was well stocked but was small for the "happy hour" crowd and I would have enjoyed a larger space outdoors. The Hotel is friendly to Muslim elements which was no problem for us except for one thing. We had a lovely room with a nice view and wanted to stay in for the evening after a nice dinner in town. We opened the mini bar fridge to enjoy a nightcap and we were very surprised to find nothing in it!! We called downstairs and were asked what we wanted and they they would be right up. The person came fairly quickly with our drinks, but it would have been easier for us to pick and choose on the spur of the moment. We also felt silly calling someone up for a refill. Isn't the point of a mini bar for convenience especially if we're willing to pay for it? The "shish" bar did not bother us (even though we don't smoke anything), but if the small things (like the mini-bar) can't be handled simply for all guests, perhaps they should make that clear.

Our 1 night stay was fine, but there are many other wonderful places to stay in the city and I'm not sure we would come back to this hotel despite our status.

Room Tip: OK, but could have been better. Executive Lounge may or may not be worth the extra cost to you if i...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
MarkusFritz, General Manager at Hilton Cape Town City Centre, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

We value your feedback as it enables us to monitor if we are meeting our guests’ needs and expectations. Having said this, please accept my apologies for the lengthy check-in and check-out process as well as experiencing trouble with the internet connection. Unfortunately we recently had to deal with connectivity problems, which have been resolved since.

With regards to the mini bar, kindly note that the mini bar can be stocked according to your preferences. Please don’t hesitate to make a request at the time of booking or upon arrival.

Your loyalty as a HHonors Diamond member is greatly appreciated and I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our property at some point in the future.

Muscat, Oman
Reviewed 24 December 2013 via mobile

My wife and I had a great stay in Hilton Cape Town City Centre.

The accommodation was great and the service was amazing.
2 Moques (Masjid) are so close for Muslim residents whach was so convenient to us.

Hospitality oriented staff, cooperative and nice. Where i can't forget Mr. Marcelino , as a very nice, friendly, helpful, job dedicated, protective and efficient employee i've met there. I could count on him for so many things , he would help so willingly, he is one of the people i found goog in what he does.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alaghbari
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Cape Town City Centre.

I am delighted to learn that you experienced true Hilton hospitality and please rest assured that your kind comments will be passed on.

Thank you for being our guests and my team and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the very near future.