“Just one little thing that Hilton doesn't mention”

Hilton Cape Town City Centre
Ranked #39 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
San Diego, California
“Just one little thing that Hilton doesn't mention”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We arrived at the Hilton after spending a week in Johannesburg for work. After being on the road for almost a month and this being our 4th continent in as many weeks, the Cape Town stop was designed for decompression before we headed back to the States.
I had requested a Suite Upgrade and we got it (for an additional 1,400 Rand/Night). The room was big (approximately 700 sq/ft) and everything was in good order and clean. We had a fantastic view over Cape Town and Table Mountain (when it wasn't covered by clouds).
When I arrive at a hotel that I've not stayed in before I snoop around a bit to see what the room has to offer. The minibar was one of the first things I found and it was pleasantly stocked but with no wine, beer or hard liquor. Hmmm, that seemed odd. Then I took a shower in the massive bathroom and was enjoying the big round rain shower head when I noticed a spray nozzle on the wall next to the toilet. Another Hmmm. I had just spent a few days in Dubai and this was the first place I had ever noticed a nozzle like this. Without going into undue detail, the hose is for hygiene in lieu of a bidet or one of the super fancy automatic cleaning toilets.
I was about to put 2 and 2 together when we stopped in the hotel restaurant to have dinner. The waiter noticed us turning our menus over and over looking for the wine list and informed us that we were in "The Muslim Area" of Cape Town and they did not serve liquor in the restaurant. He did kindly direct us to another area of the hotel, somewhat discreetly located and curtained off from an accidental viewing from other guests, where you could order food and drink. There was also an executive lounge that had a decent bar but, again, the room was windowless except for a small peephole in the door.
I have absolutely ZERO issues with different religious beliefs. I also had ZERO problem with the difficulty in getting a drink at this hotel. For anyone that thinks that alcohol shouldn't offend anybody I think they need some cultural edification. We were told you could order room service (which I did later on) and they had free booze in the Executive Lounge (if you had access) and they had a bar/restaurant tucked away on the Mezzanine Level; you just had to hunt a little bit for it.
My biggest complaint with the hotel was the tragic internet. It was pathetically slow given what is available these days, even in Cape Town. It was so bad I even called the Customer Service Desk and they informed me that those were indeed the internet speeds. Our cell phone data plans were faster than the wireless in the rooms and you had to get a different "voucher number" if you had more than 2 devices; we had 4 so we needed two different login numbers.
The staff were impeccably dressed, polite, helpful, and very eager to please. The rooms were serviced daily and not a single detail was missed. Great breakfast (make sure it's included in your rate) and decent room service but not for breakfast.
One other thing that was a problem. Because my partner and I were on a 4 week trip, we each had 2 suitcases and 1 backpack. This hotel room was almost as big as my partner's little bungalow home but it did not have a real closet. There were some cubbyholes where we could throw dirty clothes and the backpacks but not a single place to put a suitcase and very little space to hang anything. The furniture was so out of scale for a room this size (actually two rooms - a living room, dining room, kitchenette, powder room and then double doors leading into the bedroom and master bath)that there was no room left for our stuff. Once I started looking around I realized that everything was simply too big. From the massive club chairs circling the small dining table to the coffee table and sofa in the living room; the furniture took up all of the space. Instead of using a nook in the corner of the living room for the desk, a rather large and somewhat useless desk was placed in the corner of the bedroom effectively using up the space where a suitcase could have sat. There was a connecting door from our Living Room into another Guest Room so I could only assume that if you could afford to rent this room you would rent the adjacent room to use as a dressing area. Honestly, I don't know what they expected you to do with your suitcases except to constantly step around them which really took away from the aesthetic of our Suite.
But I wouldn't say "don't stay here" just because the Interior Designer was an idiot. The room certainly met the "Clean, Quiet and Comfortable" criteria, the Master Bath was huge and the bathtub was to die for. Just don't bring a lot of luggage or rent the room adjacent and really live it up. One last note; the Air Conditioning ran constantly. There was no setting where the fan would cycle on and off. It was either "On" or "Off" which tended to dry out our eyes and noses. I tinkered with both thermostats (our room was big enough to have 2 zones) but I either had to power the unit completely off or put up with air blowing on me 24/7. I would put the Energy Management guy right up there with the Interior Designer for an idiot award but they were at least quiet. If they were going to be made to run constantly the fan speed should have been almost zero on the lowest setting but it wasn't. A minor detail but for what we were paying per night this was simply bad design. Again, not bad enough to say "don't stay here" but as a builder and hotel operator, I found it not amusing.

Room Tip: Rooms Facing the City have a great view of Table Mountain and rooms facing into the Muslim area enjo...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank JoeSanDiegoCA
MarcSchumacher, General Manager at Hilton Cape Town City Centre, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

Your observations and opinions are appreciated as they enable us to assess the standard of our facilities and services and monitor if we are meeting guests’ needs and expectations. It was particularly pleasing to learn that you felt well taken care of by our team members and enjoyed our modern yet comfortable facilities and stunning views.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the space in the rooms as well as the air conditioning , which will certainly be taken into consideration for future planning.

As a global hospitality company, we serve as a meeting place for people from all walks of life. In an effort to meet the needs of our diverse guests and the communities in which we operate, Hilton Cape Town City Centre provides a Halaal-friendly environment.

Two of our restaurants, Bistro 126 and Mezbaan have been certified as Halaal by SANHA (South African National Halaal Authority) however alcohol is available at Signal Hill Lounge located at the pool deck and the Executive lounge.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I hope that my team and I will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Marc O. Schumacher

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 7 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here for six nights on our first trip to South Africa. The hotel exceeded our expectations and we had a wonderful stay! I highly recommend staying here when in Cape Town. It is well located in the center city where we walked to dinner several nights and there was a close HOHO bus stop. The staff were very welcoming and friendly, and always around if you needed something. As a Diamond Hilton Honors member, we were upgraded to a gorgeous one bedroom suite with view of Table Mountain. The room was lovely with a very comfortable bed and the bathroom had a large tub and rain shower. We even had a powder room. Nice Hilton amenities, fluffy towels and bathrobes, slippers.
We had access to the Executive Lounge for breakfast (which included a hot and cold buffet and they would cook to order pancakes, omelet, etc) and appetizers/drinks in the evening. We really enjoyed relaxing in the evening and over a glass of wine before dinner. The business center was very convenient and we used it easily to print boarding passes.
There’s a Thrifty car rental in the garage which made renting a car for the day quick and easy for sightseeing along the Cape.
I would definitely stay here again in Cape Town. We found the hotel everything you could ask for in a first class hotel!

Room Tip: high floor room with Table Mountain view was awesome
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tunitravels
MarcSchumacher, General Manager at Hilton Cape Town City Centre, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Hilton Hotel Cape Town City Centre. Your positive comments and recommendations to the TripAdvisor community are very much appreciated.

We at the Hilton Hotel Cape Town City Centre strive to provide all our guests with exceptional experiences and I am delighted to learn that we could exceed your expectations.

It is particularly pleasing to receive feedback such as yours, which I will be proud to relay to the rest of my team.

Your loyalty as a HHonors Diamond member is greatly appreciated and I look forward to welcoming you and your husband back in the near future.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed here for seven nights so I got to experience the hotel fully. The location is wonderful, in the center of the city but yet still walking distance to neigborhood locations such as clbs and restaurants on Long Street, shops and restaurants on Kloof St, and etc. The staff is super friendly, warm, attentive, yet very professional. It has all the modern amenities such as a gym, on-site restaurant, Executve Lounge, tour desk, and etc. Rooms are clean, well appointed, and cleaned daily very well. Room felt a bit smaller compared to those in the U.S., but the views of the Table Mountain when you wake up definitely makes up for the size. Restaurants are nothing to write home about, but there are so many fantastic restaurants nearby within walking distance (safe area) so it was fine. The only annoyance is the internet/wifi. The rate and my Hilton status comes with "free" wifi. However, even with a 7-night stay, I was given a 7-days/700mb total internet accss card good for two devices. The speed was adequate for most things, but it was annoying that access was limited AND the speed was slow. Otherwise, it was a fantastic hotel and I will definitely return on my next visit.

Room Tip: Ask for the Table Mountain view side of the hotel. If you can't get it, just go sit on the corne...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Yoichi_SF
MarcSchumacher, General Manager at Hilton Cape Town City Centre, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Hilton Cape Town City Centre with the TripAdvisor community.

I am delighted to learn that you had a great stay with us, especially enjoying our central location, modern rooms and amenities as well as the customer service received from our team members.

Thank you for staying with us and my team and I can’t wait to welcome you back on your next visit to Cape Town!

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We loved the proximity of this Hilton to Table Mtn ,Bokap,waterfront, restaurant, and market. The Hilton was very accomodatng and friendly. The rooms were well decorated and very comfortable with a nice pool area.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
MarcSchumacher, General Manager at Hilton Cape Town City Centre, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.

I am so pleased to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and my team and I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton twice in March (we stayed in Stellenbosch for two nights in the middle of our holiday). Both times, check in was good and we had very nice rooms. We're Hilton Diamond this year, and our suites were very nice, and we had beautiful views of Table Mountain.

The location was great--some of our favorite bars and restaurants were only a 5 minute walk on/near Bree St. It was also nice being able to walk to an excellent coffee shop in Bo Kaap. We had a car, so we drove to the V&A Waterfront a couple of times, but I am glad we didn't stay in that part of town (too touristy).

Breakfast almost every morning was delightful. On Sunday, they didn't have their act together (Elfrida had the day off), but the food was always good. I enjoyed cooked-to-order eggs every day!

The staff was wonderful, but my only minor gripe is that the bell men were a bit too anxious to help us with our two bags. No big deal, and it was nice of them to ask (I just didn't need every one of them to ask!).

The executive lounge seemed like a bit of an afterthought on Hilton's part (very small and not inviting). The staff in the lounge were wonderful, though--so friendly and helpful! The gym was also tiny, and the elliptical was terrible. Luckily we got in plenty of exercise walking around Cape Town.

I highly recommend the Hilton Cape Town for it's excellent location, very comfortable stay, and friendly staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a Table Mountain view.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Croton ny
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel is close to but not right on the waterfront so you probably need a taxi. Was there in may so the weather was quite unpredictable. Hotel restaurant was quite good and the staff was outstanding. The fellow who checked me in fixed a problem with my Hilton account I didn't even know I had. Everyone was immensely helpful and pleasant.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hilton Cape Town City Centre.

Your kind comments about our team members are much appreciated and I am delighted to read that you experienced outstanding service.

Thank you for staying with us and my team and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton in September last year, when we had to fly Cape Town for my graduation. We really enjoyed our stay and the service was really excellent! We made a mini honeymoon out of it and enjoyed the room service and special treatment. Breakfast buffet was exceptional as well! We will definitely be back the next time we are in Cape Town..

Loshnee Vandayar