“Old Fashioned Italian Fare”
Review of mamma roma

mamma roma
Ranked #213 of 1,196 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Its been in the Dean Street Arcade for many many years
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This was a real blast from the past - after not eating here for more than a decade we decided to pop in for an early family meal to introduce our kids to this long-standing suburban restaurant. Decorated in the height of 80's fashion, in a mall, it's a bit of a comforting retro experience. My son the food fundi had spag bol (which was bit blah and average), my daughter the gnocchi (pesto sauce nice), my husband a suitably rich pasta and I had veal (pronounced excellent by the kids who tasted it). The service was very friendly, but we were never shown the specials board (which had some very tempting and less ordinary fare) despite being almost alone in the restaurant at the beginning. Our dessert pannacotta was not completely set, but was tasty enough. Given that the restaurant was filling up by the time we left it's still a popular spot with the locals.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Had the snails and the ox tail and both were wonderful. Add the good service and great atmosphere and you will have a wonderful evening. We stayed very late and did not leave until almost midnight but not once did we feel rushed.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

As a visitor to Cape Town I booked a table for three people at this establishment. Never have I been greeted by such unfriendly and unhelpful staff. I did not know I had to request a table inside the restaurant, as I mentioned, I am a visitor to the city. We were offered a table in the doorway. When I mentioned to the rude, nasty person by the name of Christina, I was not asked when I booked the table if I minded eating in a thoroughfare. Had I been asked the answer would have been a categoric NO.

If you don't mind rude, unhelpful and unfriendly staff then please visit this establishment.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

Mamma Roma is a well established owner managed restaurant offering consistently good Italian cuisine with daily specials, and warm welcoming hospitality with excellent service both to regular clients and those using it pre or post sporting events at Newlands Rugby and Cricket Stadiums, both within walking distance. This is a reliably good venue which is known too, to many visitors to Cape Town.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

Popular is good, but the restaurant must not pack diners in simply because of demand - we got a table for two but we were three. That aside the food and service were good. Not outstanding, given the crowded establishment, it would have been difficult, but acceptable.