“Luxury, Fun, Party, Beautiful” 5 of 5 bubbles

Urban Hip Icon Hotel
Urban Hip Icon Hotel
Ranked #91 of 106 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Luxury, Fun, Party, Beautiful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

The Icon is very central and only a short walk away from Cape Town International Convention Center and the ever jovial Long Street, this self catering hotel offers luxurious rooms with 360 degrees of breathtaking views of the harbor and the Table mountain! This is Heaven in Africa’s most beautiful City, the Design Capital of the world, dinner at the V&A, lunch picnics at the Wine farms, shopping at Canal Walk and lots more bargains at Kenilworth, long strolls on the shores of the Indian ocean at Muizenberg,

Breakfast at Knead, train ride to Kalk bay for the best fish platters in the west coast, wonderful art galleries, Hout Bay in its splendor, sun downers in Camps bay finally, a glass of port at night overlooking beautifully lit harbor, ready to party till dusk on Longs street clubs.

Room Tip: Penthouse Suites are the Best
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sipho P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

Negatives: We booked a double bedroom suite and on arrival was told that none were available but we could have 2 single bedroom suites next to each other. We were OK with this as we were all adults but there would be a problem if you were travelling with small children.
No free Wifi and min cost of Wifi Card was expensive more than you could use during a 5 day stay. Luckily there is a cafe on the ground floor that has free Wifi
Positives: Good location, in CBD and easy to walk to V&A Waterfront i daytime. Nice & large rooms but no Washing M/c or Dishwasher. Great views from our 18th floor rooms.
Overall: We stayed on our return to Cape Town at the Harbouredge apartments. Far better and cheaper and has none of the negatives listed above.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ribster71
California, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

I stayed for almost 3 weeks at this hotel and had to buy many wifi cards because the time ran out so quickly due to dropped connections and the fact that they don't tell you that you have to completely sign off not only on the log off page but also on the wifi connection itself. This was a new trick that I hadn't seen before.

The wifi was sketchy with disconnections and slow service constantly. In fact, every day I would go check my email messages at a nearby internet cafe even though I was paying for wifi in my room. Toward the end of my stay I noticed that another person was on at the same time I was.

This should not be the case when you buy dedicated wifi that is supposed to be secure. So I had to be very careful when I did happen to get online as to which sites I would go to. I couldn't check my bank accounts knowing the wifi wasn't secure. In addition, friends on my email accounts told me they received messages from my account even though I hadn't contacted them. In other words, my computer, along with my brother's mac were hacked.

I complained to the front desk who said they would get back to me but when I left the ICON I still didn't have an answer nor a refund. I paid for most cards with cash and you don't get a receipt and I didn't have the cards after the time was used up so the hotel said I didn't have proof.

Once I returned home to the states I got in touch with the ICON saying I wanted the one wifi charge that I had paid for with a credit card taken off, however they ignored my request. I then went through Chase bank and disputed the only charge I had proof of. They contacted the hotel and the ICON said they would give me a refund but I never got it and Chase said they "had" to put the charge through because of something having to do with the charge being outside their jurisdiction. Chase made no sense and the ICON really made no sense with the IT guys saying the wifi was secure. You don't see the name of another person on your screen when using wifi if it is secure and your email doesn't get hacked especially on a Mac.

Hope this helps because I didn't know the ICON was so shifty when it came to their wifi cards. There are many vacation rentals in Cape Town that come with wifi included and I wouldn't stay at the ICON again because of this issue and how it was mishandled.

Room Tip: If you use/need wifi daily, I would suggest you choose another place to stay.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012 via mobile

When I checked in. there was a colored guy came pretended to be hotel bellboy.He showed us the room opened the windows& wanted to show our kids room(which was on the other floor )later.
We gave him tip and said "it's ok"..we left
Our bags in the room except the camera bag which he said it was ok to left it there. Meanwhile a window cleaning guy
was outside. After show kids room he asked for another tip .we said I already gave it to you . He said it's for the second room. We didn't hv small note he ofer to change it,then he disappeared.we came down to the lobby and asked the reception about him,she said never saw him all her life and thought he was our tour guide.it was so careless of us but the hotel people shouldn't let him went to the room with us either.because such a small size lobby she could see or hear everything

• Stayed May 2012
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

We stayed at the Urban in March 2012 and choose the hotel as it was an apartment hotel near the start of the Cape Argus Bike race. We were upgraded to a three bedroom suite.

The accommodation includes a kitchen but has no internal laundry facility. There is a Laundrette in the building that charged R65 ( about $8.50) for a bag of washing. Any ironing is extra. The hotel does not have a concierge facility but the staff are very helpful. Internet is available at a cost. There is a pool and gym.

It does not have a restaurant, but there are two restaurants and a minimart in the building. They are open from around 8 am to 5.30 pm, but close around noon on a Saturday and are closed on Sunday.

The rooms are serviced daily and are clean and spacious. Only the lounge area has air-conditioning, the bedrooms were hot and did not cool down till late in the night. The TV selection is basic. This is a good choice if you wish a serviced apartment. Reception is open 24 hours.

The hotel is a 1 minute walk to the bus station.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Plettenberg Bay, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

My business partner and I chose to stay at the Urban Hip Hotel on a recent business trip to Cape Town and will definitely be going back! The rooms were spacious and it was great to have some extra space in terms of the kitchenette and lounge. The location is very convenient and the value excellent –we payed the same for a 2 bedroom apartment that we would have for a hotel room, but had the added benefit of the extra space.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Taipei
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

I recently spent three nights here. It was hard checking in as there was no place to park. I had to park in a lot in the back, then lug my bags over. This place isn't bad, and within walking distance to some great restaurants, downtown shopping and sites. Nice to see that Cape Town's CBD has become safer and pedestrian friendly (with taking certain measures). There are supermarket, coffee shop, cellphone and laundry shops on the first floor. Parking is safe and secure, once you are allowed in their lot after check in, but you have to pay for it. The work out room is bright and sunny, and has very good equipment. I rated this average, because their internet is a rip off, and there aren't basic things like a phone, and notepad/pencil in the room. The little soap and shampoo bottles that were supplied in the bathroom had obviously been used before. There is a full kitchen and ice box, plus utensils for those who want to cook.

Room Tip: Use your cellphone as a hot spot, instead of wasting money on their lousy internet.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo