“Charming alternative to the big chains”

Dutch Manor Antique Hotel
Ranked #67 of 156 Cape Town Central B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Upon visiting Capetwon for business last week, I decided to choose an alternative for the big chains this time, in the form of a small boutique hotel. Not disappointed, on the contrary. It started with an excellent transfer from the airport; fine location, charming welcome, beautiful antique rooms, great hospitality and......perfect wifi. So much enjoyed this small venue!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
DutchCapeTown, General Manager at Dutch Manor Antique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

Dear Guest

I am delighted to the fact that you had a complete 'home away from home ' experience. We at Dutch Manor take pride in giving a memorable stay to our guests.

We greatly value your feedback.

We look forward to have you on your next visit again.

Reviewed 14 June 2013

I always prefer to stay in smaller privately run hotels since I find them more personal and friendlier. Dutch Manor is no exception. This was my first visit to Cape Town and I travelled on my own. It was a pleasure dealing with Dutch Manor - they arranged for a car to pick me up at the airport and were able to answer all questions relating to local sightseeing and restaurants. The manager was even kind enough to buy an adaptor for me! The room was roomy, clean and comfortable. The breakfast was certainly adequate and I appreciated the cup of tea offered upon arrival! No hesitation in recommending it and I would love to go back.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 June 2013

I found the Dutch Manor Antique Hotel spacious, light, fresh and friendly, with the most helpful and enthusiastic staff. The highest windows I have ever seen let the sun stream in, while original wooden shutters and thick, lined curtains muted the city sounds. Solid antique Yellowwood and Mahogany furniture and enormous thick old doors grace every part of the hotel. A 200 year old leather couch sits in prime position in the lounge, with views of the Cape streets below. Spacious modern bathrooms, only just renovated, with matching Charlotte Rhys bathroom products, are offset with traditional touches like toiletries which are presented in a white lace-trimmed purse.

What I love about the Dutch Manor Antique Hotel:
• There is a genuine commitment to the historical theme throughout the hotel
• Antiques really are everywhere and create a feast for the senses and imagination
• Thick local timber doors, windows and furniture lend gravitas to every room
• The friendliest, most helpful staff are available at any time of day or night
• The hotel is in a convenient setting, in one of the oldest streets in Cape Town, with easy access to all the major tourist attractions
• Fine linen, freshly renovated bathrooms and beautiful bath products make this a luxurious stay

Accommodation Experience
My bed is so high it takes me a moment to strategise how to climb onto it. Once there, I admire the spectacular 4 metre high window with its original wooden shutters and heavy extra-length curtains. The bed is a four-poster, with thick, chocolate brown posts, and it feels solid and comforting. The curtained back and sides of the bed, with a ruffled frill around the top create a cosy canopy, in which it is easy to escape to the past.

I imagine travelling in 1812, under harsh and uncomfortable conditions, to arrive at this inviting, beautiful space, and the sense of relief and gladness people must have felt to settle into this lovely room. I sink back into the curtains behind the bed and enjoy a strong cup of coffee in a classically Dutch-shaped coffee cup. I run my hands along the fine thread-count white linen and sigh my own sigh of relief.

This feels like a place where people of this place revel in your delight of the antiques, and they seem to do everything to make your stay comfortable, convenient and interesting. There is no sense of withholding or tourist trickery here – only a sensational place for a weary traveller to rest and be inspired by the past and present of Africa and the Mother City of Cape Town.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
DutchCapeTown, General Manager at Dutch Manor Antique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your time to give us feedback. I appreciate your review which I found to be more informative to other potential guests.

Above all, thank you for the passion you have on our Antique furniture and for being our guest.

We look forward to your next visit.

Nobu

Reviewed 30 April 2013

Brilliant hotel - central location, beautiful rooms, and friendly staff. Will definitely be staying again.The service and value was excellent, and even though they were performing some renovation work when I arrived this didn't disrupt my stay at all. The room was huge (especially for one person) with stunning antique decor.The breakfasts were also very good with plenty of choice! This definitely makes a refreshing change from all the uber modern hotels in Cape Town but still has a lot of character and is very comfortable and conveniently located, just a 2 minutes walk from Long Street. Highly reccomend

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
DutchCapeTown, General Manager at Dutch Manor Antique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2013

Dear Guest

It was a great pleasure having you at our hotel....above all to get a feedback about your wonderful stay with us, despite the renovations during your stay.

We hope to have you back again to our newly refurbished hotel soon.

Nobu Tshabalala

Reviewed 12 April 2013

I booked a group of 9 Swedes into the Dutch Manor for a night. I had them complete a feedback questionnaire on the 14 day stay in South Africa and to rate thier places of accommodation on a 1 - 5 ranking where 1 was totally unsatisfacory and 5 excellent. The average from the group was 3.3 with one 2, two 3's and two 4's. Their comments were as follows:
"Small room, small bed, overcrowded, breakfast not to satisfaction, wrong eggs, slow service."
"Nice hotel, slow breakfast'
"Slow sevice"
'Beds too short for me. Loose tiles in the shower."

I know that they had requested breakfast at 08:00 as I was to pick them up at 09:00 and brekfast was served an hour later. They weren't altogether ';happy campers' when I collected them, I'm sorry to say.

It might be worth your while to warn people that anyone over 1.75 m may find the antique beds short for comfort. The fact that some beds have both head and foot boards makes the problem worse for anyone over about 1.75m.

Room Tip: Check if the beds are too short for you.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate it, positive or negative. It is a disappointment to learn that the Swedish Group did not have a pleasant stay with us. I would like to iron out a few things that were mentioned:
concerning breakfast, we at Dutch Manor Hotel have a buffet continental breakfast then the cooked breakfast to order. The reason why it felt like it took long is because the group expected to find the cooked breakfast on baine maries as it is done in bigger hotels of which unfortunately we are a small hotel. The other reason is, some guest came out of the rooms a bit later and thought they will just dish up.
With regards to the beds as you always come to our hotel it was needless to mention to you the size of our beds because you have seen them many times. Please see some of the reviews about our antiques beds how guests enjoy their comfort and they also spice up the history of Cape Town.
The tiles in our bathrooms we are currently doing some renovations and that is the other reason we gave a you a discount.

We appreciate your feedback once again.

Nobu Tshabalala

Reviewed 10 April 2013

We stayed here the week after easter and had a lovely experience. Despite having to make last minute changes to the booking we were well looked after and enjoyed our stay. Comfy beds, delicious breakfasts and fantastic location. All staff were friendly and helpful printing off our tickets for us and following up on lost items from our previous hotel. The tour of Bo-Kaap was also really great and I highly recommend it, even though the hills were really steep to walk up!

Room Tip: The double beds seem a bit small but we stayed in the twin bed room and it was great
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
DutchCapeTown, General Manager at Dutch Manor Antique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for the positive feedback we appreciate it. We take pride in giving excellent service to our guests.

We look forward to have another opportunity to have you as our guest again.

Nobu

Reviewed 14 March 2013

This hotel was superb. We really liked its small size, welcome relief from huge hotels. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom spacious and well-designed, the staff friendly and very helpful. We stayed here for two nights, to enable us to have easy access to the city. The Waterfront area is a 20 minute walk; the centre of the city was very close. We could walk out and do what we wanted in the city. Breakfast was delicious, served in a large, comfortable dining room. The ceilings must be 5 or 6 metres high. It felt luxurious and safe.

Room Tip: A room on the second floor would be best; first floor rooms are possibly a little more exposed to co...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple