“Stylish and Antique”

Ranked #47 of 155 Cape Town Central B&B and Inns
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Stylish and Antique”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We had a wonderful two nights in the Dutch Manor. We were looked after like royalty and had beds to match. The breakfast was superb and the location good for access to Table Mountain. Bo Kapp is a very interesting area - we walked down to a local eating place and dined out for £2 each!

Room Tip: We had a quick peek in all the rooms and all seemed to have four poster beds. One room does have two...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Cath B
DutchCapeTown, General Manager at Dutch Manor Antique Hotel, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your feedback.

I am delighted that you had a memorable stay at our gem, and the fact that you enjoyed the personal service we offer at Dutch Manor. It was a real honor to have you as our guests.

We hope to have you back again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Turkish first
Roquebrune-Cap-Martin, France
Reviewed 13 July 2013

The Dutch Manor is an exquisitely furnished mansion in the very heart of Bo-Kaap. We were so delighted and overwhelmed by the courtesy of the personnel, always ready to help us feel at home and responsive to our needs. The rooms are large and comfortable and beautifully maintained. The location is great, in the very heart of Bo-Kaap, and minutes from the centre of
town, the area is quiet but at the same time close to all commerce.
We loved our stay and the wonderful hospitality!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
DutchCapeTown, General Manager at Dutch Manor Antique Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Dear Guest

My staff and I would like to thank you for taking your time to review us. It was a great honor to have you as our guests with your family.

Above all I am delighted that we made your stay a home away from home experience.

We look forward to host you again.

warmest regards,

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 10 July 2013

A more Cape specific hotel you could not find in Cape Town. The ambience and comfort is perfect with antiques in abundance. The staff are knowledgable, friendly and efficient and breakfast was everything one could ask for. The location is perfect for business and tourism and although situated on a busy road, there was little traffic noise inside the hotel. Simply splendiforous!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

It was a great pleasure having you as our treasured guest. I am delighted that you had a memorable stay with us.

Thank you for your time to review us, it is much appreciated.

Looking forward to your next visit.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Upon visiting Capetwon for business last week, I decided to choose an alternative for the big chains this time, in the form of a small boutique hotel. Not disappointed, on the contrary. It started with an excellent transfer from the airport; fine location, charming welcome, beautiful antique rooms, great hospitality and......perfect wifi. So much enjoyed this small venue!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest

I am delighted to the fact that you had a complete 'home away from home ' experience. We at Dutch Manor take pride in giving a memorable stay to our guests.

We greatly value your feedback.

We look forward to have you on your next visit again.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 14 June 2013

I always prefer to stay in smaller privately run hotels since I find them more personal and friendlier. Dutch Manor is no exception. This was my first visit to Cape Town and I travelled on my own. It was a pleasure dealing with Dutch Manor - they arranged for a car to pick me up at the airport and were able to answer all questions relating to local sightseeing and restaurants. The manager was even kind enough to buy an adaptor for me! The room was roomy, clean and comfortable. The breakfast was certainly adequate and I appreciated the cup of tea offered upon arrival! No hesitation in recommending it and I would love to go back.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Reviewed 8 June 2013

I found the Dutch Manor Antique Hotel spacious, light, fresh and friendly, with the most helpful and enthusiastic staff. The highest windows I have ever seen let the sun stream in, while original wooden shutters and thick, lined curtains muted the city sounds. Solid antique Yellowwood and Mahogany furniture and enormous thick old doors grace every part of the hotel. A 200 year old leather couch sits in prime position in the lounge, with views of the Cape streets below. Spacious modern bathrooms, only just renovated, with matching Charlotte Rhys bathroom products, are offset with traditional touches like toiletries which are presented in a white lace-trimmed purse.

What I love about the Dutch Manor Antique Hotel:
• There is a genuine commitment to the historical theme throughout the hotel
• Antiques really are everywhere and create a feast for the senses and imagination
• Thick local timber doors, windows and furniture lend gravitas to every room
• The friendliest, most helpful staff are available at any time of day or night
• The hotel is in a convenient setting, in one of the oldest streets in Cape Town, with easy access to all the major tourist attractions
• Fine linen, freshly renovated bathrooms and beautiful bath products make this a luxurious stay

Accommodation Experience
My bed is so high it takes me a moment to strategise how to climb onto it. Once there, I admire the spectacular 4 metre high window with its original wooden shutters and heavy extra-length curtains. The bed is a four-poster, with thick, chocolate brown posts, and it feels solid and comforting. The curtained back and sides of the bed, with a ruffled frill around the top create a cosy canopy, in which it is easy to escape to the past.

I imagine travelling in 1812, under harsh and uncomfortable conditions, to arrive at this inviting, beautiful space, and the sense of relief and gladness people must have felt to settle into this lovely room. I sink back into the curtains behind the bed and enjoy a strong cup of coffee in a classically Dutch-shaped coffee cup. I run my hands along the fine thread-count white linen and sigh my own sigh of relief.

This feels like a place where people of this place revel in your delight of the antiques, and they seem to do everything to make your stay comfortable, convenient and interesting. There is no sense of withholding or tourist trickery here – only a sensational place for a weary traveller to rest and be inspired by the past and present of Africa and the Mother City of Cape Town.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your time to give us feedback. I appreciate your review which I found to be more informative to other potential guests.

Above all, thank you for the passion you have on our Antique furniture and for being our guest.

We look forward to your next visit.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Brilliant hotel - central location, beautiful rooms, and friendly staff. Will definitely be staying again.The service and value was excellent, and even though they were performing some renovation work when I arrived this didn't disrupt my stay at all. The room was huge (especially for one person) with stunning antique decor.The breakfasts were also very good with plenty of choice! This definitely makes a refreshing change from all the uber modern hotels in Cape Town but still has a lot of character and is very comfortable and conveniently located, just a 2 minutes walk from Long Street. Highly reccomend

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
DutchCapeTown, General Manager at Dutch Manor Antique Hotel, responded to this review, 3 May 2013
Dear Guest

It was a great pleasure having you at our hotel....above all to get a feedback about your wonderful stay with us, despite the renovations during your stay.

We hope to have you back again to our newly refurbished hotel soon.

Nobu Tshabalala