“Very Unique”

Ranked #46 of 155 Cape Town Central B&B and Inns
Singapore
“Very Unique”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Dutch Manor has a very unique feel to it and the old-school rooms (with modern amenities) was a great addition to our trip to SA. It is located in a very easy-to-access area walking distance from Long Street & all the restaurants and night life. They had a garage space for us to park our car and overall was an excellent experience and stay. The staff was very nice and inviting and the room was extremely comfortable. I'd surely stay there again.

Room Tip: Room facing the road on second floor is nice for people watching.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
DutchCapeTown, General Manager at Dutch Manor Antique Hotel, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Dear Guest

We greatly value your review. We at Dutch Manor take pride in giving excellent service to our guests.

Thank you for having interest to come back again, we promise to make your stay sweeter and sweeter :-) !

Warm regards,
Nobu and Staff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Turkish first
Lakewood, Colorado
Reviewed 12 May 2014

For me, experiencing a destination often includes seeking out boutique accommodations and Dutch Manor fills the bill for Cape Town! Although the building dates back over a hundred years, it has only recently been converted into a hotel. With it's massive wooden antique armoires, high ceilings, shuttered windows, four-poster beds, and antique furnishings, you will feel like you've gone back to the days of the Dutch settlers in Cape Town. A delicious hot breakfast, 24-hour security, and the Hop-On-Hop-Off bus stop to Table Mountain conveniently located across the street complete the amenities I used during my recent stay. Ask for room on street-level if you have mobility issues, but breakfast is still served on 1st floor. Some street noise in rooms at the front of the hotel, but part of the ambiance of being in a big city and not disruptive. A real find with only 5 rooms, so book early!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for such a warm review. We greatly appreciate your time to review us. It is through people like you that out 'hidden treasure' can be found by other guests. It is delighting that you enjoyed your stay in our 202 year old building which has again become a hotel and the fact that you liked its breathtaking antique furniture which was used in the yesteryear :-) !

We look forward to have you back soon and pamper you again.

Warmest regards,
Nobu
Stratford, Canada
Reviewed 5 May 2014

The hotel was a quiet, quaint oasis in the middle of a busy city. The staff was friendly and welcoming. The room was immaculate and snug. The breakfast made a great start to a busy first day of sightseeing and then a second long day of travel home. A comment was made somewhere about noise from the neighborhood mosques. I found it a comfort. I was only sorry that I could not stay longer.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking your time to review us. Thank you for also understanding the fact we are situated next to the Mosques, and that it did not affect you great time at our Hotel. We wish to have you back again and have a longer stay with us at your 'Home away from home' hotel :-)!
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I stayed at the Dutch Manor Antique Hotel earlier this year and have mixed reactions.

Plus points:
- In a very central location and close to several attractions in walking distance
- Very pleasant, polite and attentive personnel
- Beautiful hotel interior with a homey atmosphere
- Comfortable beds in good sized rooms
- Directly across from the Hop-on/Hop-off tour buses (which I generally refrain from using as they can be too touristic but they work great for a stay in Cape Town with the varied sights and terrain so I highly recommend this option - plus it's very affordable)

Minus points:
- Hotel's located on a busy thoroughfare (you'll most likely have to cross it each day as most central attractions are in that direction)
- During my stay one evening, I sat alone to read in the hallway near the upstairs balcony windows and soon found myself with company - one of the hotel workers apparently keeping an eye on things/me; it was kind of creepy but I chalked it up to security. Then at 10:30PM, he shut off the lights without a warning. I wondered if this happened each night but I discovered later in my stay that it wasn't, after hearing people in the hallway past 11:00. So in retrospect, what he did was rude.
- I was pleased to find the hotel had bathroom toiletries supplied but once I used the two cotton swabs in the box and had no need for the included cotton pads. There were no replacement swaps two days later so I threw the pads into the bin - only to find after room cleaning the next day that they'd been taken out of the bin and placed back(!?). And no replacement swabs were included.
- I returned one afternoon from a tour and needed another shower as it was quite a warm day. I unrolled my 'refreshed' bathmat after room cleaning and it felt damp. I wondered if the mats were not replaced daily but simply rolled up for reuse. To check, I made a small pen mark in a corner of the mat and, sure enough, I found that the same mat I used earlier had been not been replaced but simply rolled up; it had the pen mark. I could praise the hotel for being ecologically minded but I think they would do good by informing their guests of their procedure.
- To my surprise, I was suddenly asked to change rooms in the middle of my stay as the room I'd been placed was on request by another couple. This was a shock to me and might not have been an issue only if the hotel had asked me or made it known before I arrived that I might need to shift rooms. Sadly, this was not the case. It caused an unnecessary moment of stress in my otherwise enjoyable trip to Cape Town. In the end, I was allowed to keep the room.

I'd like the hotel to live up to its rating. It's a cozy, beautiful property. But, for me, it has odd imperfections.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank BackfromBelek
DutchCapeTown, General Manager at Dutch Manor Antique Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Guest

We greatly appreciate your review and thank you for your time to give us feedback.
Firstly I would like to apologize that there were a few things that you were not happy with during your stay with us. I find it very disappointing that out of all the imperfections you found, you did not look for the Manager to bring it up with her or any of my staff members. I am always at the Hotel and always ask my guests if they are happy and if there is anything that they are not satisfied with. I met you several times during your stay and I would ask you if you were happy and would try to chat with you and found that you are a very reserved person which I respected. Always you assured me you were fine. This is unfair, should you have brought all this to my attention I would have dealt with it immediately. Now I will not know who cleaned your room and on that particular day/ s. This is the first time I get a complaint on cleanliness in the rooms. Putting a pen mark is not the correct way as this is also a damage on our linen too. If all guests put marks on our towels we will have more complaints that we have stained linen. The best way is to correct a wrong with a right, I should have handled it during your stay and to your satisfaction. With regards to the security guard, we are a small hotel and once all our guests are in the house and in their rooms the hallway lights we switch off especially 10:30 pm, that was late only if you were sitting in the hallway, it was not going to be switched off and it would have been rudeness. The next day there was no need to switch lights off at 10:30 pm as the security guard had seen and used his initiative. Since you also witnessed there was people in the hallway. On the request that was made for you to move rooms due to the couple that requested the room you were in, I quickly corrected that as I saw that it was not going to be fair to you and asked the very same staff member who asked you to move to tell you not to move within 10 minutes. I met you and apologized about that and you were fine with it. I treat all my guests the same way and strive to give them a memorable stay. I hope my explanation is satisfactory and will change your negative feelings. We wish to have you again as our treasured guest .
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We stayed in numerous B&B's/Hotels during our SA trip and this was one of the best. Really relaxing and a home away from home. We didn’t want glam & glitz hotels we wanted rustic charm and this place didn’t disappoint. Loved every part of our stay.

My only critism would be the 4 poster bed could do with firming up or a support underneath, because it does creak.

Great location & price

Room Tip: We stayed in the room on the 1st floor opposite the breakfast room
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Small cosy hotel with a sombre classic dutch-style decoration. Very friendly staff makes you feel like you are visiting a friend's house. Very helpful staff advising and helping in arranging your program and transportation

Room Tip: Rooms on the Buitengracht street side may be a bit noisy because of the traffic but on the side stre...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I planned this in advance and they helped organise a taxi transfer for us all in advance. we arrived and it all went like clockwork. Hotel is lovely we would happily have stayed longer but had not the time. Staff service is way beyond what you would expect for a small private hotel and they could not have been friendlier or more helpful. We loved the atmosphere with all the antiques but at the same time the bathroom was modern, spacious and very clean - the age of the property is not reflected in the amenities or facilities. This is a small private hotel and deserves to succeed we would happily recommend it and would stay again. A big thank you to everyone and sorry we had to rush off so soon.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Your review is greatly valued, thank you for your time too. It is always a great pleasure to make our guests stay a memorable one. Though your stay was too short, however we pride ourselves in having made it a pleasant one. Also thank you for the mention of our bathrooms which are modernized. We are an antique Hotel but had to incorporate the old with the new :-)!

We hope to have you back again and have more time with us.