Atlantic Point Backpackers
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The Cape Royale(Cape Town Central)
Excellent 5/5
Villa Zest Boutique Hotel(Cape Town Central)
Excellent 5/5
Protea Hotel Cape Town Cape Castle(Cape Town Central)
Good 3.5/5
  • Pool
Sugar Hotel & Spa(Cape Town Central)
Great 4.5/5
Dysart Boutique Hotel(Cape Town Central)
Excellent 5/5
One&Only Cape Town(Cape Town Central)
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
The Commodore(Cape Town Central)
Very Good 4/5
All reviewsbraai nightgreat locationbed dormdaily activitiesfemale dormgreen pointfree breakfastgreat place to staylong streetgreat facilitieswine tourcommon areasenjoyed my stayfresh fruitclean roomsnice staymin walk
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This was the ultimate backpacking experience, my girlfriend and i have traveled all over the world and Atlantic Point has by far been the best. The staff were amazing the breakfast was out of this world, free wifi that works, and activities planned by the staff for every night of the week.

Definite highlights were the braai evening on Wednesdays and the cleanliness and the warm welcome and service.

Thank you Atlantic Point for all the effort :)

Room Tip: The Juma township tours is amazing
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank James H
Reviewed 7 June 2014

On my past trips to Cape Town I've stayed in small hotels or guesthouses, but I am no stranger to hostels and have stayed in dorms and private rooms while travelling "all around the world".

This time I wanted to stay in easy walking distance to the V & A Waterfront and the De Waterkant Village so I decided to check out the Green Point area which is close to both. There was specific criteria I was looking for in a place to stay; secure parking (check), private room (check) and free WiFi (check). After researching the area on Booking.com I read the descriptions and reviews on Hostelbookers.com and Tripadvisor of many guesthouses, B & B's and hostels and decided on the Atlantic Point Backpackers Hostel.

After arriving and checking into the hostel around 7pm, the staff was totally helpful (no complaints there at all) I went and parked my rental car in their complimentary SECURE (a major plus) parking area and then was showed my room. The room was with a shared bath (which I knew about when I booked) is definitely as it is described online, nicely decorated and bright with a very large comfortable bed.

I assumed (which you should never do) that the hostel's WiFi would be pretty good since the demographic of a backpackers hostel is generally young travellers but this is where things go downhill and fast. The WiFi is TERRIBLE, and when you can get a signal count yourself as lucky! I spent my first 75 minutes my first morning trying to connect to check my email to confirm plans with friends who live in the city. WiFi footnote, when I started to write this review it was working, but now 45 minutes into writing it is now down again!

Lets talk noise. Over the years I've lived in basements or lower apartments with people living above me. Well that quickly changed as noise coming from the ceiling simply becomes unbearable. Well for those people who decide to rent this hostels "private rooms" BEWARE, they are right below the main reception and staircase. As well, I generally I look for hostels that DO NOT cater to backpackers as they tend to enjoy "their party". This hostel has it's own bar area on the top floor and if you plan to be in bed before 11:30pm think again, that won't happen especially on Friday and Saturday nights.

Their breakfast was definitely your typical "basic hostel fare" watered down fruit drink, loaves of bread with peanut butter / jelly and butter, containers of dry cereal, hot oatmeal cereal, fruit, instant coffee and tea. The major problem in my opinion is the dysfunctional of the breakfast set-up: Tea kettle across the room from the actual tea and coffee, the same with the bread and condiments across the room from the toaster, and definitely not enough cutlery, coffee cups and plates for guests. Again perfect for the backpacker crowd but I've been served much better hostel breakfasts "all around the world".

Overall I rate this a 3 out of 5. If your looking to be close to the V & A, away from the hustle and bustle of Cape Town's downtown, don't require WiFi and enjoy sleeping with earplugs, then this hostel is for you.

Room Tip: Avoid the private rooms, since they are below the main reception
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
tlouw, Manager at Atlantic Point Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

@thetravelbroker

Thanks for highlighting all the positive points about the lodge.

We take great pride in the work we do and service that we provide.

We are rolling out an extensive Wi-Fi system that we hope will solve all the connections issues, this will be done this coming week.

We truly appreciate your constructive points and will certainly discuss the "weak points" with all concerned in running the lodge.

All the best on your Cape Town adventure.
Regards
Tim

Reviewed 4 June 2014

My favorite hostel in Cape Town hands down. Tim and the rest of the staff [esp. Pauline] was very helpful & friendly. The ambiance & the atmosphere is fantastic.The football stadium is nearby ..big plus if you're a sports fan like me.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Vineet G
Reviewed 27 May 2014

For those who want a fantastic location, close to the V&A Waterfront, and top quality accommodation, Atlantic Point is it. So even if you don't want the backpacker experience, (don't get me wrong I've had plenty of amazing ones), but sometimes you just want a quite and private room, and Atlantic Point has these too! So after a month on a group tour I decided to book a private room for myself to relax, and it was like a hotel! With its own secure entrance, you didn't even have to go into the main building (if you didn't want to), and it was modern and beautifully furnished with a new en-suite, and a great price compared to other options in that area.
The staff were all lovely and helpful, there were great common areas and a nice new kitchen with breakfast daily. So the quality of the accommodation was second to none, but on top of that you are a five minute walk to the amazing and stunning waterfront!
If I'm lucky to get to Cape Town again, I will go straight to Atlantic Point for sure!!!
Couldn't recommend highly enough:-)

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 May 2014

When ever I travelled to Cape Town, I always stayed a couple days at the Atlantic Point. Very friendly Chefs, Tim and James and the stuff as well, which let me feel very welcome and homey. I just love to stay there in the nice clean rooms, having braai evenings and just a lot of fun in the bar.:)
Just can recommend it to every solo traveller, as you always will meet good people there.
Prisca

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Springboeki
tlouw, Manager at Atlantic Point Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

@Springboeki,

Thanks for you review. We love seeing you when you are here, you bring great energy to the hostel!

It's wonderful to catch up and hear what you are doing.

I hope that there will be a next time :)

Lotsa Love AP