“Great place to stay and plan experiences in Cape Town”

Atlantic Point Backpackers
“Great place to stay and plan experiences in Cape Town”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Super friendly and warm staff. The backpackers is very clean, safe, and nicely decorated. My wife and I stayed for one night in a private room and had a great experience. They provide a significant and healthy continental breakfast as well. We had a tour planned, but if we had not, we could have booked a number of exciting things through the extensive tour desk. Great value for the money.

Room Tip: We stayed in a private double room with ensuite bath
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Some of the staff was super friendly. Others were a bit cold. The bed was comfortable and the room nice compared to other hostels. The bathroom was *excellent*, even by hostel standards.

The wifi connection was not good. Other hostels in the area are better, so I'd suggest they put up more routers to improve this. It was a bit noisy at night, but fine overall.

Breakfast was late and not very good. I get that other hostels usually don't even serve breakfast at all *but* this place charges about R100 more than some others, and the breakfast certainly wasn't worth more than R20.

Best part about the place was the room, bed, and bathroom. What else could one really ask for?

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

tlouw, Manager at Atlantic Point Backpackers, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
@Travel_Everywhere537,

Thanks for taking the time to review us. We appreciate all feedback.

All our staff a selected by me, we believe they add great energy to our lodge.

If you can please email me any suggestions regarding our breakfast as we believe that the offering is more than adequate. Fresh fruit,cereals, bread & spreads, pancakes including juice.

We are super stoked that you enjoyed the comforts of our mattress and bathrooms.

I would also like to know which room you stayed in so we can better tailor our offering.

Sincerly yours
Tim
tim@atlanticoint.co.za
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Even before stepping into Atlantic Point Backpackers, I am already super impressed with the team. My intention was to book a 8-men dorm in July, however due to my carelessness, I have selected "Jun" instead. Instead of forfeiting my deposit, James kindly acceded to my request and transfer my reservation to July and even upgraded me to a 4-men dorm! How kind of him!!
If you will like to have an enjoyable stay in Cape Town, Atlantic Point is not to be missed!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Daggersword
Avarua, null, Cook Islands
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This was the ultimate backpacking experience, my girlfriend and i have traveled all over the world and Atlantic Point has by far been the best. The staff were amazing the breakfast was out of this world, free wifi that works, and activities planned by the staff for every night of the week.

Definite highlights were the braai evening on Wednesdays and the cleanliness and the warm welcome and service.

Thank you Atlantic Point for all the effort :)

Room Tip: The Juma township tours is amazing
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank James H
Niagara Falls, Canada
Reviewed 7 June 2014

On my past trips to Cape Town I've stayed in small hotels or guesthouses, but I am no stranger to hostels and have stayed in dorms and private rooms while travelling "all around the world".

This time I wanted to stay in easy walking distance to the V & A Waterfront and the De Waterkant Village so I decided to check out the Green Point area which is close to both. There was specific criteria I was looking for in a place to stay; secure parking (check), private room (check) and free WiFi (check). After researching the area on Booking.com I read the descriptions and reviews on Hostelbookers.com and Tripadvisor of many guesthouses, B & B's and hostels and decided on the Atlantic Point Backpackers Hostel.

After arriving and checking into the hostel around 7pm, the staff was totally helpful (no complaints there at all) I went and parked my rental car in their complimentary SECURE (a major plus) parking area and then was showed my room. The room was with a shared bath (which I knew about when I booked) is definitely as it is described online, nicely decorated and bright with a very large comfortable bed.

I assumed (which you should never do) that the hostel's WiFi would be pretty good since the demographic of a backpackers hostel is generally young travellers but this is where things go downhill and fast. The WiFi is TERRIBLE, and when you can get a signal count yourself as lucky! I spent my first 75 minutes my first morning trying to connect to check my email to confirm plans with friends who live in the city. WiFi footnote, when I started to write this review it was working, but now 45 minutes into writing it is now down again!

Lets talk noise. Over the years I've lived in basements or lower apartments with people living above me. Well that quickly changed as noise coming from the ceiling simply becomes unbearable. Well for those people who decide to rent this hostels "private rooms" BEWARE, they are right below the main reception and staircase. As well, I generally I look for hostels that DO NOT cater to backpackers as they tend to enjoy "their party". This hostel has it's own bar area on the top floor and if you plan to be in bed before 11:30pm think again, that won't happen especially on Friday and Saturday nights.

Their breakfast was definitely your typical "basic hostel fare" watered down fruit drink, loaves of bread with peanut butter / jelly and butter, containers of dry cereal, hot oatmeal cereal, fruit, instant coffee and tea. The major problem in my opinion is the dysfunctional of the breakfast set-up: Tea kettle across the room from the actual tea and coffee, the same with the bread and condiments across the room from the toaster, and definitely not enough cutlery, coffee cups and plates for guests. Again perfect for the backpacker crowd but I've been served much better hostel breakfasts "all around the world".

Overall I rate this a 3 out of 5. If your looking to be close to the V & A, away from the hustle and bustle of Cape Town's downtown, don't require WiFi and enjoy sleeping with earplugs, then this hostel is for you.

Room Tip: Avoid the private rooms, since they are below the main reception
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
tlouw, Manager at Atlantic Point Backpackers, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
@thetravelbroker

Thanks for highlighting all the positive points about the lodge.

We take great pride in the work we do and service that we provide.

We are rolling out an extensive Wi-Fi system that we hope will solve all the connections issues, this will be done this coming week.

We truly appreciate your constructive points and will certainly discuss the "weak points" with all concerned in running the lodge.

All the best on your Cape Town adventure.
Regards
Tim
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 June 2014

My favorite hostel in Cape Town hands down. Tim and the rest of the staff [esp. Pauline] was very helpful & friendly. The ambiance & the atmosphere is fantastic.The football stadium is nearby ..big plus if you're a sports fan like me.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Vineet G
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 27 May 2014

For those who want a fantastic location, close to the V&A Waterfront, and top quality accommodation, Atlantic Point is it. So even if you don't want the backpacker experience, (don't get me wrong I've had plenty of amazing ones), but sometimes you just want a quite and private room, and Atlantic Point has these too! So after a month on a group tour I decided to book a private room for myself to relax, and it was like a hotel! With its own secure entrance, you didn't even have to go into the main building (if you didn't want to), and it was modern and beautifully furnished with a new en-suite, and a great price compared to other options in that area.
The staff were all lovely and helpful, there were great common areas and a nice new kitchen with breakfast daily. So the quality of the accommodation was second to none, but on top of that you are a five minute walk to the amazing and stunning waterfront!
If I'm lucky to get to Cape Town again, I will go straight to Atlantic Point for sure!!!
Couldn't recommend highly enough:-)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo