“Delicious”

Manna Epicure
Ranked #58 of 1,181 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The passionately-crafted menu reflects a synthesis of French and South African cuisines, with an exciting Argentinian twist. Open 7 days a week, for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We had lunch here on a sunny Saturday in April with our four children and it was lovely. It was quite late when we arrived so we had the place almost to ourselves. The food was great and the portions were very generous, the service was attentive and helpful.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

My husband and I had the Eggs Florentine and the Mushrooms on Toast and it was amazing! Topped with great coffee and INSANELY good choclate tart! Friendly service and lovely atmosphere too. Regulars in the making here!

1  Thank TheBearMeyers
Reviewed 24 August 2014

- Upon simply asking if they had regular canned iced tea, we were told, patronisingly, that they don't have "any of that Lipton stuff", but they made their own iced tea. They're too good for Lipton iced tea (which isn't even what I wanted or was enquiring about, but thanks for the assumption), but not for appletizer and passion fruit cordial in their "custom" iced teas? Give me a break.

- I ordered iced water, mineral water, whatever, instead, and was given a glass that couldn't have held more than 180ml. This is the first time somewhere I went has actually cheaped out on tap water.

- The red velvet cake I ordered had been sitting out for what felt like days and was completely hard and stale.

- The drink my friend ordered, passion fruit with some kind of tea and mint, was undrinkable - passion fruit cordial was 'dressed up' as real passion fruit by dumping a bunch of pips in it, while mint leaves, uncrushed, floated pointlessly at the top of the drink.

- After waiting at least 10 minutes for the bill after asking for it, watching the guy I had asked do nothing particularly important during that time, I finally walked up to the till and asked for the bill a second time, and then got the hell out of there.

R117 for a stale piece of cake, an undrinkable drink, a waffle with some bacon, and some surly hipster waiter. I did not tip, because I will not pay one cent more than I have to for stale cake and waiters with bad attitudes.

4  Thank SamanthaJHB
AgnesCT, Owner at Manna Epicure, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Dear Samantha JHB,

I am sorry to read this review; It is obvious that the waiter did upset you and that's why you felt everything was wrong from that point onwards. I don't blame you and I am deeply sorry for that.

We do make our own ice tea, funny that, for some of them, we actually do use lipton. I have to say, I liked your idea on "dumping a bunch of passion fruit pips" in the glass to dress our cordial, it would be more cost effective that way, however, we cannot buy "pips" in a can just yet so we have to use real passion fruit pulp and put cordial as well to sweeten it and enhance the flavour.

We have a full time pastry chef that bakes every single day and his red velvet is actually a baked cheese cake, so it is possible for it to go "off" should this not be a big seller, but I don't understand how it could have gone "hard and stale" as you described it.

I wish you had brought it to the manager's attention when you were here so he could have checked himself what could have possibly gone wrong.
We believe in customer satisfaction and we would have certainely not made you pay for a slice of cake if you were not satisfied with it.

The waffle is homemade and dressed with bacon, golden syrup and caramelised banana, I am sorry if you felt R45 was over priced for it, we unfortunately cannot lower our margin any more than that.

We have a water station in the restaurant with a jug of water and orange slices and another jug of mint and lemon water, we do not "cheap out" water, we make it available for our guests at no cost as opposed to forcing mineral water. It is the first time I get a complain about providing unlimited free water due to the size of a glass.

I completely agree with you about not tipping the waiter, it is not compulsory to tip and he is obviously the reason for this review.

I am really sorry you had such a bad experience due to a simple matter of how things were said. I have scheduled training with all waiters to ensure they do not come accross as "surly hipster with bad attitude".

Kind regards,

Reviewed 24 August 2014

Only the freshest will do here! Neville gave us personal attention seldom experienced in most restaurants. The seafood was superb! Mine was Springbok and Mozambique Shrimp. Both were delicious! The Springbok melted in the mouth. Hers was the White Snub-Nosed (?) Fish. Our starter was their exquisite French onion soup. You must reserve, otherwise you'll be looking elsewhere.

Dave & Grace Loewen
Abbotsford, BC

1  Thank DFL49
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We were referred to Manna Epicure by our hotel and had an amazing experience. They were incredibly accommodating to my husband's extremely serious nut allergy, and gave us two glasses of champagne to celebrate our honeymoon. Everyone was so friendly and the food was delicious. Highly recommended!!

1  Thank fg1186