“Welcoming, comfortable, great location”
Review of Underberg House

Underberg House
Golden, Co
“Welcoming, comfortable, great location”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Anne and Bruce were very welcoming, and helpful with advice on touring. The room was large and comfortable. The breakfast was ample and tasty. The location was convenient - we had a rental car which we parked outside for free; and we walked from the art museum (slightly uphill), but took a taxi from the waterfront for $5. Excellent restaurants within a 5-minute walk. Views of the neighborhood are pleasant, with a limited view of Table Mountain. We'd highly recommend this attractive, well-maintained, large Victorian B&B, which is located in a safe, upscale, somewhat hilly neighborhood.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Hebrew first
Manila
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We nearly booked a place near the Waterfront but felt that something in our price range would be too bland, impersonal and devoid of character. We looked at several guesthouses in a quiet neighborhood and Underberg was the place that could accommodate us for 6D/5N.

I'm glad we stayed at Underberg. Bruce and Anne were warm, welcoming and helpful and the staff was very polite though they kept mostly to themselves. I felt like I was staying at the home of a friend's aunt or something like that. Bruce and Anne don't stay at Underberg, I think they leave in the late afternoon so if you need anything done, best to get it done in the morning or early afternoon. I think the staff leaves at the end of the day so if you're one of those people who need staff on the premises, perhaps you'd be better off at a full service hotel (this is the only reason why I didn't give full marks for service).

Rooms were clean and comfortable and all the basics you need are provided. Rooms are cleaned and re-stocked daily. Some people might not like the fact that rooms are not air-conditioned but we were there in spring and Cape Town was nice and cool. On a few afternoons, it was a bit warm and I turned on the ceiling fan just to get the air circulating but it was always windy at night. A room heater is provided if you need it. I did turn on the TV for all of 5 minutes but other than the news channels, I wasn't too interested in what was on the telly. Free wifi (even in rooms) was generally reliable and I could keep in touch with people back home, got to tell them about the great time I was having! On the first day, I had trouble with the key as the key hole of the room door is a bit lower than usual but I got used to that. Also had some trouble with the safe, thought I had locked it but it turns out I had forgotten to turn the key so the safe was unlocked but the staff is very trustworthy. Nothing was taken. We washed some small articles of clothing (e.g. our bathing suits) and when we came back to our rooms, we found that our clean laundry had been taken off the hangers and folded and placed on our beds, thanks! My room mate's bathing suit was a two piece and for some reason, one of those two pieces ended up in our friends' room but that was the only minor mix-up.

A delicious breakfast comes free (available from 730-10AM) and I really enjoyed it. Fresh cut fruit in season, yogurt, cereal & muesli, bread (whole grain and white), cheeses, orange juice, apple juice, fresh milk, butter, homemade orange marmalade & raspberry preserves and condiments like honey, marmite, etc all laid out. You can order coffee or tea and a hot breakfast (two eggs any way you like, omelettes, delicious mushrooms, bacon and tomatoes). My favorite cooked breakfast was one poached egg, TONS of mushrooms, a grilled tomato and one rasher of bacon. By day 3 it was my signature breakfast and Bruce recognized it as mine on sight. One time we had to leave Underberg at 4:20AM to go see the sharks and I lamented that we'd miss the wonderful breakfast!

There's a nice little honesty bar if you want to pour yourself a drink. There was a bit of a mix up with the bar as someone had written that he had two drinks but the way he wrote it down was not so clear (perhaps those 2 drinks were too much for him?) and it looked like the occupants of Room 2 (my friend and I) had consumed those drinks. That mix-up was easily sorted out. If there were any issues, we had no trouble bringing them up with the owners who were very proactive and would act on something they felt might be an issue.

Underberg is located in a quiet neighborhood. To get to some shops/cafes you do have to walk maybe 3-7 minutes, 10 minutes if you walk REALLY slowly. Long street is not far away, a nice leisurely stroll from Underberg. If you want to walk to the Waterfront I suppose you could do it though that might take quite a lot of time. Hail a cab or figure out the bus system if you can (I never figured it out).

The area is safe, I did see a few homeless people hanging around the main street near the restaurants and the Catholic church (about 5-7 minutes away) but they never bothered me. They just said "Good morning!" when I saw them on my way to mass. I offered one some food I couldn't finish and he thanked me politely. Just as a precaution though, there is a security guard patrolling the street night and day. Underberg is a gated guesthouse and you just have to key in the security code to enter.

Available in room: coffee/tea tray set for 2, basic toiletries (liquid hand soap, bath gel, lotion, toilet paper), room spray, bug spray, complete set of towels, wardrobe with hangers, hair dryer, room heater, one adaptor (we just had to get another one because the one in the room was not compatible with our gadgets), TV, wifi, writing desk, no refrigerator in the room but you can have items refrigerated (we bought cheese that needed to be refrigerated). no phones in the room, you'll have to use your cell phone. there's a phone in the office so if you need a cab during the day, Bruce and Anne can call one for you. lighting and ventilation of rooms generally good.

You can borrow adaptors, a refundable ZAR10 deposit is required per adaptor.
Laundry service available (per piece). I didn't have anything done but my friend had her jeans washed and I believe rates were reasonable.

I was very comfortable in my room but I also enjoyed relaxing in the different common areas of the guesthouse (veranda, bar, living room, etc).

Only one set of keys issued per room so that sometimes got tricky when my room mate and I wanted to do different things.

I do plan to go back to Cape Town and I'd love to stay at the Underberg again :-)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank engmaps
Paignton, Devon
Reviewed 11 October 2013

We arrived at the Underberg at 9.30 am, after arriving on a night flight from London. We were warmly greeted by Anne who gave us a cup of coffee and gave us invaluable information on Cape Town and all the wonderful places to visit. In no time they had managed to prepare our room, so we were able to unpack and freshen up. We then met Bruce, Anne's husband. A really great couple. Amazing hosts. The guest house is spotlessly clean and fresh, tastefully decorated. We had a room with a balcony which had THE most comfortable bed ever! Breakfasts were great with cereals, a wonderful bowl of fresh fruits with a selection of yogurts, a choice of cheeses, bread for toast, juices and of course an English breakfast. A newspaper was always on the table. The kitchen staff did a wonderful job and nothing was too much trouble for Anne or Bruce. Truly great hospitality. Close to the centre in a safe neighborhood. I would not hesitate to recommend the Underberg to visitors to Cape Town.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Harare
Reviewed 8 October 2013

The Underberg Guest House was the perfect location and a guest house full of charm and all the comforts. Our hosts Anne and Bruce were so hospitable and made our week really one to remember. as a frequent traveller the Underberg will be a guest house I would not hesitate to recommend and we will certainly stay there again and again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We had had a month on safari in Southern Africa and ended our wonderful trip with Bruce and Anne at Underberg which was wonderful. We spoilt ourselves with a suite and loved every minute of it. Bruce has lovingly restored this beautiful building and his attention to detail in amazing. The peace of Underberg just wrapped around us as we walked in the door. The breakfasts we great and there were some wonderful restaurants within walking distance. They also organised a driver to pick us up and deliver us to the airport and we hired him to take as out for a day to show us Cape Town. He drove a BMW which was very clean, a wonderful change after a month on safari. I would highly recommend anyone staying in Cape Town to consider staying at Underberg.

Room Tip: all the room were lovely. Bruce showed us through as there was no else staying at that time.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We are a couple in our honeymoon and we decided to stay in Underberg Guesthouse and that was a wonderful experience. It is a really nice place, so quiet but close to the center, safety neighbourhood, the perfect place to be.
The owner are a couple from there and they are amazing. They take care of our stay...
If we come back any time to CT we will return there.

Estuvimos en CT unos días por nuestra luna de miel y no podemos estar más contentos con la elección. Fue el sitio perfecto, la habitación perfecta e impecable, los dueños una pareja maravillosa que se encargaba de que estuvieras muy bien y dándote a conocer su ciudad, con sugerencias de turismo y de sitios para cenar.
Sin duda si volvemos alguna vez a CT iremos allí sin pensarlo.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Albury, Australia
Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

A very warm welcome by Anne, a cuppa tea was just what I wanted. First impression wonderful, room excellent. Property renovated very well by Bruce who was also an excellent host. We had some great conversations together. An easy walk from CBD of Cape Town which I enjoyed. A range of places to eat within easy walk. The staff were very friendly and the breakfast great. Both Anna and Bruce very helpful in booking tours if required. Over all a very enjoyable stay, one of the highlights of my trip to Africa. Allan Jordan Australia

Stayed August 2013