“Good lunch spot on Bree”

Birds Boutique Cafe
Ranked #462 of 1,144 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: Cafe, Contemporary
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Long-established cafe in a heritage Dutch building under the trees in Bree Street (Cape Town).Our menu has a focus on healthy seasonal produce. Relaxed environment - a few things you might not find elsewhere. We also provide outside catering.
Cape Town
“Good lunch spot on Bree”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

Birds Café is definitely a go-to spot for lunch in the Bree street area. The menu is relatively brief, but surprisingly varied. Great food, good cappucinos too. Nice location in an historic Dutch building. Have been here during the previous ownership and under new ownership and enjoyed both visits equally. Service is friendly. Nice departure from the more frenetic, "trendy" spots on Bree's parallel streets.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Sublime”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Where to start? Fabulous Belgium chocolate pancakes, light as a feather, not too rich and a perfect portion. Delicious Gnocchi, pork sausages, perfect poached eggs, delicious coffee and a well rounded good quality wine list, to much to mention! Lovely relaxed ambiance, a perfect Cape Town vibe and friendly service.

Birds catered for a party I gave, I am still getting compliments on the Moroccan lamb, butter chicken and roast vegetable lasagne.

Phone, book or just pop in for a quick bite, but do go, you won't be disappointed and I'm sure you'll go back :)

Visited April 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Great place for lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

This restaurant - in a beautifully restored building on the edge of the central business district - is just the place for a pleasant, unhurried lunch. My wife and I stumbled across it in Bree Street and were delighted. I had home made pasta with anchovies and my wife had the fish of the day. The staff could not have been nicer and the food was simple and delicious. But this is not somewhere for a quick bite - take your time, they take theirs to prepare the food fresh. And don't miss the wheat free chocolate cake!

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Shocking service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

I've been going to Birds Cafe on and off for a couple of years, before and since change of ownership. I'm by no means a regular, but I've been there enough times to know the breakfasts are great, the 'moer koffie' tastes like my granny made it and that the staff are generally efficient.

Until yesterday. My guy and I were saddled with the waitress from hell. The only way I can describe it is that she resembled a beta version of robo-waitress - she could only recognise words and phrases repeated directly from the menu, could not answer any product questions and seemed unable to compute requests. Also this model's emotive capacity (i.e. capacity to smile) had not been programmed yet. I'll relate three conversations to illustrate:

Conversation 1:
Me: Can I please have a glass of water. Tap water. No ice, no lemon.
Waitress. [long pause]. Water. [pause]. Do you want ice?

Conversation 2:
Me: The pancake with chocolate: what kind of chocolate do you use?
Waitress: It's a pancake with chocolate inside.
Me: Can I have the bill please.

Conversation 3:
Me (as waitress walks past me in the door as we leave): Bye-bye
Waitress: .... nothing. Absolutely nothing. Not even a nod or smile.

Birds Cafe, you need to seriously look at your employment screening policy or staff training. This is not the service I'm used to from your establishment.

1 Thank Capepicure
Brackley Beach, Canada
“Best dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

WE discovered Birds on Bree Street one evening while walking back to our hotel and were curious about the place. We assumed it was only a day time cafe but it turns out that they are doing dinners three nights of the week. We make a reservation and had one of the best dinners during our entire stay in the city and that says a lot as this is a city with a huge number of fantastic places to eat.
The room is lovely and well laid out, nice atmosphere and excellent wait staff. The menu is not large but features a variety of plates from the land and sea, both large and small. The catch of the day, always a sustainable fish, was angle fish risotto and we also tried the lamb loin. Both were wonderfully cooked, perfectly presented and excellent value for money. Desserts are equally divine. All in all a great find, worth the visit and would come back again.

• Visited April 2014