“A bird worth having in the hand”

Birds Boutique Cafe
Ranked #558 of 1,185 Restaurants in Cape Town
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Long-established cafe in a heritage Dutch building under the trees in Bree Street (Cape Town).Our menu has a focus on healthy seasonal produce. Relaxed environment - a few things you might not find elsewhere. We also provide outside catering.
Reviewed 16 July 2014

It was by accident that I first landed in the nest of Birds Cafe in Cape Town. I was on an impromtu date night with my husband and we needed a treat. We drove down Bree Street and decided on the restaurant closest to where we got a parking. Luckily it was Birds. Definitely the best of the Bree Street precinct lot. Having down the precinct circuit we were excited to try something new. With no expectation. What a pleasant surprise. I'm a pescatarian and my husband is a meat eater. We also steer away from carbs so finding a restaurant meal that is not meat or pasta-based can be tricky. Somehow vegetables can't be a meal without pasta. Birds had it all - mushrooms, truffle oil, crisp vegetables, lashings of sauce, fresh herbs, wild rice. And for the meat eater, there was tenderly cooked venison, medallions of organic steak, racks of ribs. All beautifully presented in oversized white bowls. Dessert didn't disappoint either - we shared the hot chocolate fondant. YUM! Our cute French waiter added the final touch to a casually sophisticated meal. The only thing that could receive some attention is the wine list - in light of wine snobbery, of course.

Just in case one may think this was a once off, I have subsequently been back two more times. Once with friends and once as part of a party of 20. People, performance and produce were perfect both times.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

I have heard so much about Birds and was very excited to finally be able to eat there. They initially were extremely good getting our large group seated at a table but from then onwards the service got progressively worse. From giving a table we had requested to sit at away, to only taking our drinks order 30 minutes later and to over ordering of meals...it was a disaster! BUT the food was very good. I would recommend the lamb dish which was perfectly prepared! If they can jack up their service, this restaurant has the potential to be amazing!

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Birds has a concise but good menu. The chicken pie is great. As are most things on the menu. Wholesome, delicious. I've only been there for lunch. The place somehow comes across as slightly hokey / offbeat. Can't put my finger on it. Not in a hipster kind of way. More in a kind of yoga way.

THE SERVICE IS CRIMINALLY SLOW AND MEDIOCRE. Nothing is really communicated. Just seems sort off offhand and forgetful. If you consider this as 'laid-back ambience' more power to you. Not my style.

2  Thank AndrewPenny336
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We had a delicious lunch here for less than $20 during our Capetown visit. Sandwiches were made very fresh to order with quality ingredients. Not a place to go if you are in a rush but laid back and welcoming.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Perfect for lunch. Not many choices but excellent food and good coffee. Nice and friendly atmosphere.