“Great place after booking”

Ashanti Lodge Green Point
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Overall this place is great, it is slightly out of town, but only about 20 minutes walk so not too bad, na dis very clean and comfortable. It isn't a party place if that is what you are after, but the great staff make up for this.

There is one major downside, the booking can be quite hard, and as it is first impressions it isn't a good area to be letting Ashanti down. Basically my friend made my booking on my behalf while they were booking theirs. I was booked into a triple at a single rate with no one else there. A couple of days later we were advised that we had been booked, by Ashanti, into the wrong Ashanti, and that only dorms or ensuite rooms were available at Green Point. My friend agreed on the dorm, I reluctantly agreed for an ensuite for double the price (there was a reason I didn't want a dorm), but asked for a discount or free Internet because of the runaround as it was their mistake. The email came back asking "what runaround" and saying that they don't give discounts. Funnily enough I ended up in that triple, and more people I know managed to book single rooms later than we booked them. I still honestly believe they were calling our buff.

It would be nice to make the wifi free, but it isn't expected, but the wifi is throughout the rooms and lounge, and the free pancake mix makes up for it.

Other than that booking issue (which to be honest gave me a really bad first impression) it is amazing, and I would recommend it to anybody, even my luxury seeking father.

• Stayed: December 2011
LisaMas0n, Owner at Ashanti Lodge Green Point, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2012

Thank you for your review.

I am surprised that you found the booking process hard. We do have certain procedures that we follow in order to ensure that all booking details are correct and I can only assume that when you made the reservation, you didn't originally specify that you wanted to stay in our Green Point lodge. Our central reservations team is based at our sister lodge in the Gardens area and as this is also our biggest property, unless one specifies we usually assume the bookings is for there. It is a point that I will take cognisance of in future though and I will instruct the reservations staff to confirm which property a booking is for if none is specified.

However, the booking process aside I am glad to hear that you nevertheless enjoyed your stay with us.

The wi-fi on your own device (smartphone, tablet, laptop, etc) is free but we do charge guests for the use of our computers as there is obviously costs attached to provide these.

Hopefully we will see you again soon one day ?
Regards,
Lisa

Reviewed 25 December 2011

Ashanti Lodge at Green Point is one of the newest and cleanest lodge I have ever stayed in. Stayed for 6 Nights, The rooms are spacious, the kitchen and bathrooms immaculate and the staff are happy to assist you with anything you need to know. Whether it be planning transport, your onward journey, excellent place, knowledgeable and very friendly staff and guests, made me feel at home from the moment i was there. highly recommended to anybody. if im ever back in cape i would not consider staying anywhere else. facilities all worked, loved the blankets :-) cheers guys.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Raahil
Reviewed 17 October 2011

I have been staying at Ashanti Loge Greenpoint for the last 3 weeks and had such a ball! Thanks to all the staff at the Greenpoint Lodge, they are all great people (especially Aimee) and made me feel at home! I will deffinitely come back for my next visit to Cape Town. The whole backpackers is kept very clean by the well run staff. The kitchen is a good place to meet new people and the free pancakes are not bad either.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 August 2011

Stayed here for 5 nights at the end of a 6 week trip in South Africa. The hostel is very clean and I felt very safe as there is a code to get into the hostel and an additional code to get in to your room. The area was quiet and I therefore got taxis at night as I was alone, however this was more to be safe than sorry rather than any real fear. It is 5/10 min walk from the World Cup stadium and 15/20 mins walk to the V&A Waterfront so perfect for going out for dinner.

The room was very clean and a safe was provided for your valuables. The staff were all very helpful and I had no issues with any aspect of my stay.

All in all it was a great way to end my trip with lovely surroundings and great staff. Would definately reccommend staying here for cheap accomodation in Cape Town.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank xtelx
LisaMas0n, Owner at Ashanti Lodge Green Point, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2011

Hi there!
Thank you very much for your review and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We hope to welcome you back to Cape Town and Ashanti Lodge again one day :-)
Regards
Lisa

Reviewed 11 August 2011

It is a renovated house with upstairs and downstairs. The rooms were roomy, the beds comfortable and it was clean. The location is a bit far out from the city centre therefore without a car not very convenient. I think the lodge could spend a few dollars to improve a few things. Buy some pegs for the clothes to hang outside and buy a couple of decent fry pans for the pancake mixture which is good and provided daily. There are no washing machines. A message I had received from a colleague was not given to me till the next day - too late - although I was a few minutes from reception all evening. There was a sign upstairs saying one of the two shower rooms was out of order and a week later when I came back it was still out of order, same with a stove hotplate. I was attracted by the airport pickup but it was not available when I arrived anyway, which was a Sunday. It was fine at the time I went, but if it had been in the busy season I think the kitchen and bathrooms upstairs would have been rather crowded.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank alwaysunderway
LisaMas0n, Owner at Ashanti Lodge Green Point, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2011

In response to your review, I must firstly apologise for the delay in the repair of one of the stove's hotplates. We have a part on order from Defy - and in fact are still waiting for it. Luckily, all the other plates on the stove are working :-) We have been aware that we needed new frying pans and these in fact were bought last week. The free pancakes that we offer for breakfast every day sure do take a beating out of the pans but I will make sure we replace them more regularly from now on. We don't have washing machines on the premises due to space constraints but the very professional laundry service is actually quite good value for money. Our location is just 1 kilometre from Sea Point - a strip with hundreds of shops and restaurants, 2 km from the beach and the waterfront and a mere 4km from town. The buses come right past the bottom of our road and are very convenient for accessing the whole of Cape Town and our reception desk provides free maps with all this info. Unfortunately, due to the current economic climate we no longer employ our own driver for airport collections but do offer to arrange an airport pickup for all our guests - a variety of options with this exist.
To cap it all - I am sorry that you did not find our service to your satisfaction when we do try so hard, but we do also realise that we can't please all the people all the time.

Reviewed 2 July 2011

We stay in the private rooms with ensuites - showers are awesome. Hostel was clean and secure, free parking, free use of kitchen, free pancakes in the morning, easy to arrange tours out of.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank JodieMichelle
Reviewed 15 June 2011

We stayed here for five days in August and the stay was ok - I don't know that we would ever stay here again.

Pros- Clean rooms, very clean shared bathrooms, good location, free parking if you have a car

Cons - They switched us to a different room half way through our stay, which was stressful to have to repack all our gear, check out, leave our bags with the front desk and then check-in again, and unpack again. Also, there was paperwork confusion that we ever changed rooms and one of the front desk staff walked in on us - no knocking or anything. Basically, she though the room was empty and was going to give it to someone else. Also, there was no record of what deposit we had paid on which room - utterly confusing and something I wanted to deal with on vacation. And finally, the room we stayed in upstairs toward the front of the building was nice, but when we were moved to the back of the hostel ... the room smelled funny, I think it was the carpets. Also, internet is NOT free, a bummer!

So overall just an ok stay. Clean place and good location - but the front desk's organization was too much of a headache.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple