“Hidden Gem for Cape Malay Cuisine”

The Quarterdeck Restaurant
Ranked #269 of 1,147 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: African
Dining options: Reservations
Description: This is a Cape Malay Restaurant inside the Portswood Hotel, in tehw aterfront area of Cape Twon
Nairobi, Kenya
“Hidden Gem for Cape Malay Cuisine”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I have stayed in the Portswood hotel many times over the years but have rarely eaten dinner in the restaurant . I tried it recently and was pleasantly surprised. Very good quality and taste, enough variation on the menu so that everyone will find something they like but not too big so that things are not fresh. Very good wine list at reasonable prices considering this is a hotel. Food cost is very very reasonable. The service was excellent. We were there on a Thursday night and it was almost empty.
It is well worth a visit to try Cape Malay . I don't think you will be disappointed

• Visited January 2014
3 Thank GastroNinja

Surrey, UK
“Fantastic food and value”
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

We ate here and had the chefs tasting menu, which was the equivalent of about £12 a head. Unbelievable value! We had a mixed starter and then had to choose four mains each...each of which arrived as a full portion for one on its own! The food was lovely but it was impossible to finish. Dessert was also included, as was coffee.
The restaurant was quiet, which while nice was a shame as its so good. Perhaps this is due to it being set back from the touristy waterfront. Head out from the main front, past the time ball into the hotel area: the Quarterdeck is inside the Portswood hotel.

1 Thank snowpingu
Kfar Saba, HaMerkaz, Israel
“One of the best nights ever!”
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Having heard of a Cape Malay restaurant based in a hotel, we couldn't help but feel a bit apprehensive. having lived on the road for so many years (we own a travel company), we found it had to believe a hotel can hold a good restaurant of a cuisine that is basically not considered "gourmet", but a more "street-wise" food.

Boy, were we in for a knock-out. To begin with, the atmosphere and ambience is second to none. if summer hits with high temperatures, make sure to grab the amazing table in the private garden. If not, then any seat in the house offers amazing ambience and the décor is lovely.

The service was impeccable. We were treated like royalty, with courtesy and a smile. Service was swift, fast and always attentive. All the more so as our waiter was from Congo, and for my French wife having a chance to speak freely in French was yet like the icing on that cake...

The food: apart from the décor, ambience and service, the food was really beyond our expectations. We took the Chef's Feast, but having read all the reviews before, have stuck to one feast for 2 people. And as small as the portions seemed at first, the 2 of us were unable to cope with the amounts that arrived.

The food was supposed to be Cape Malay. And although reminiscent if not similar to the cuisine of the Bo-Kaap, it was amazingly in good taste. It actually reminded us, more than anything else, of the Burmese cuisine we have so much of when traveling in Myanmar. The combination of spices, the touch of elegance in the mixture of spices and ingredients, the talent to distill different aromas and tastes in what is seemingly a unitary and monolithic cuisine was impeccable, and I highly recommend it to anyone interested in hi-end Cape Malay cuisine.

And the price.. For a top-notch restaurant, sitting next to the waterfront in a top-notch hotel, the price was too ridiculously cheap to mention. We had full meal and a bottle of wine, were generous with the tips, and got change from 500 Rand (around 50 USD) FOR BOTH OF US.

A real gem, not to miss!

• Visited December 2013
Malibu, California
“Secret spot with local style food”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Upscale secret spot with local style foods. Hard to believe restaurant is inside a hotel. Feels more like upscale family than hotel. Friendly service and attentive style is seemingly more family style than corporate. I ate here twice and enjoyed it.
Be warned, the tasting menu is enough for two people but really a great introduction to cape and malay style foods.
Highly recommended.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank SanMo
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Authentic Cape Cuisine at it's best!”
Reviewed 30 May 2013

I've just returned from London after almost 9 years abroad. I travel back ad least once a year for a visit, but this time I'm back for good. I said to my mother that I feel like something traditional from Cape Town. My mother suggested the Quarterdeck Restaurant in the V&A Waterfront.

We arrived to find a very sunny setting with a view of a waterfall at the end of the pool. The waitress was very friendly and showed us to our table. I asked her what she suggests to order that is traditional to Cape Town. The waitress replied that we should order the chefs Cape Cuisine Feast. We decided to share it, as my mother said it was a very large portion for one. We then ordered a bottle of wine and waited for the food to arrive. The first plate arrived with a selection of samosas and Cape Malay favourites. Well presented and very tasty. This was enjoyed with a selection of sauces on the side.

The main course then followed shortly after the starter. It consisted of 4 pokkie pots with a selection of beef, lamb, chicken and fish curries. All cooked to perfection! A selection of popadoms, chutneys and sauces accompanied this course as well. We relaxed in the Autumn sun and enjoyed the meal, as it brought back memories of my younger days.

I called our waitress over after a while to say that we were unable to finish the meal due to the size. Please remember this meal was intended for one and 2 of us couldn't finish it. She kindly put the leftovers into a take away for us.

After relaxing for awhile we decided we couldn't go home without having the brandy pudding. This arrived and it was amazing! So soft and full of flavour. The only comment I would make is that there portions are not for the faint hearted.

It is a beautiful setting with great staff and brilliant food! It is defiantly a place to visit if you are local or from abroad to enjoy the traditional Cape Cuisine.

I hope to visit again shortly.

• Visited May 2013