“This hotel is rated four stats, but it equals a one star establishment.”

Kings in Cape Hotel
Ranked #147 of 156 Cape Town Central B&B and Inns
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“This hotel is rated four stats, but it equals a one star establishment.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

Coming to breakfast was such a disappointment. You not only wait long for tour hot meal, buy it is also cold on arrival. Orders for the hot meal was totally mixed up
Maybe the waitress did not understand us completely. The place is not that clean. The positive is that the my city bus stops in front of the hotel for sight seeing. I would not advise families to come here as it seems like ladies of the night is "treated" here for their breakfast. My assumption of what I have seen.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

I stayed 25-28th of June in the Kings in Cape Hotel. Very nice decorated (small) and very clean rooms in downtown Cape Town. Very good. Being located between Long Street and Greenmarket Square it was even surprisingly quiet to sleep there with open window at the streetside. The heating (airco) was also excellent...
However an hour after checking out, the receptionist called me to inform me that I forgot a shirt in my rooms.
During perhaps about 1000 stays in hotels in Europe, North and Central AMerica, Asia and Africa, this never happened (of yes I lost a lot of things- but NEVER I got a call I forgot something.). An hour later I had my shirt back and a big smile on my face... Well done!
I certainly will go back

Room Tip: Even the streetside room was quiet
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Rik R
Cranbrook, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

Knowing that we would be giving up our rented car upon arrival in Capetown, we looked for a centrally-located hotel and found Kings in Cape Hotel, where we stayed for eight nights. It was indeed located within walking distance of most of the action - shopping, large city square where the daily outdoor market took place, sidewalk cafes, etc. The City Tour bus even rolled past the hotel door. The waterfront was also within walking distance, as was a theatre.

We had a large quiet family room with loveseat, chair, free WIFI, air conditioning and an updated bathroom. Breakfast, which was included in the reasonable room price, was ordered from the menu. The restaurant/bar area was called Ethopian Dishes. One evening we shared an authentic Ethopian meal, which was delicious and plentiful.

The staff and management were friendly, watchful and accommodating.

As we did not have a SA cell phone, it would have been convenient to have a telephone in the room; however, it was compensated for by being able to use the reception telephone.

There were renovations ongoing, partially in the hotel, as well as further shops being constructed at the lower hotel level; however, that did not obstruct our stay.

Room Tip: Good value and good people.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EastKootenays
Stirling, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2013 via mobile

We stopped in here for a few drinks after the bars had closed. We aren't interested in the nightclubs so we nipped in on the way back to our hotel.

It's just off Long Street and it's open until 2am.

Good range of drinks at reasonable prices but at 1am we were the only customers in.

Very clean and comfy couches to sit on.

An ok place for a quiet, late night drink.

• Stayed March 2013
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2012

What's great about this hotel is the customer service. The staff is really helpful in sorting out any concerns you may have or any difficulties and I have to say special thanks to Marisa the GM at the hotel who is extremely helpful and cooperative.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mazmohad
Neil Hemming
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012

Really nice little hotel and great value for money, we paid 375 Rand about 30 pounds. This included breakfast and a bottle of wine. Amazing value for money, not sure how they profit. Room was small but clean and comfortable. Nice shower and Bathroom. Really comfortable bed. Hotel has great bar area and gambling section. Live Music Saturday night was fantastic. So impressed with this little place and a perfect location next to greenmarket square. Only improvement could be the reception staff. The two girls there are a little stuffy and could do with smiling a little more. They seemed shy and slightly pretentious. But would not have spoiled our one night stay here. Would go back for sure. Not 5 star luxury that I normally booked but was highly impressed. Well done.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Spellar
Port Elizabeth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

My name is Khusela Hempe, I took a trip down from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town end of April 2011 to visit a colleague of mine and his girlfriend. They organised the accommodation and booked us at the Kings in Cape Hotel from Friday till Sunday. They fetched me from the bus station and we walked during the cool early evening to the hotel, we were greeted with warm smiles and offered complementary drinks on arrival. We went upstairs to our room and I couldn't stop admiring the layout and the bathroom was exquisite as we freshened up. We then went down stairs and sat at the bar catching up and the barman was so freindly he was like one of us participating as he was serving us our drinks. The next day after a fulfilling english breakfast we took a walk to the nearby shops and market square where we were entertained by a Marimba band and dancers. From there we had lunch at one of the shops around there then we took a taxi to the Waterfront which is about 4 mins drive. There we shopped, walked about and crossed a bridge to where the entrance to the departure to the Robben Island is. Later that day back at the hotel we freshened up and was served dinner at the dinning hall by a lovely waitress who was freindly and always smiling making you feel at home away from home. We then had a few drinks at the bar before going out to the clubs which are a few minutes walk. We had so much fun till the early hours and walked back to the hotel to find one of the guys patiently waiting for us to make sure we got back safely. I woke up on Sunday morning to catch my bus at the station back to Port Elizabeth telling myself I must come back for more since I had a wonderful time in Cape Town. So in May 2012 I will be going back booking myself and my partner at Kings in Cape Hotel for a weekend to show him how much fun I had!!!!!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends