“I do NOT recommend it”

Kings in Cape Hotel
Ranked #148 of 156 Cape Town Central B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

Good things:

1. Location. Next to the city center, restaurants, shops and not very far from the waterfront.

Bad things:

1. Room. The closet of my room was destroyed, the staff told me they would fix it right away, after 5 days nobody came. The windows were broken like someone opened fire on them.

3. Elevator. There is a fake sign saying they are repairing up the elevator. Never saw anybody fixing it.

4. Terrible breakfast. You should wait 1 or 2 hours to get some eggs, beans, half sausage and melted butter. The kitchen doesnt work good.

5. Wifi. Only worked in the hall.

6. Price. Way too expensive for what it is.

I will not come back.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Letizia B

Reviewed 17 December 2013

it was a good experience to be at kings in cape hotel,the staff was very helpful,rooms are 100% clean,everything is perfect.i can not wait to come again,I've been around the world but i have never see the friendly staff as kings in cape one,i was like home,please keep up the good work guys.

Room Tip: Every room is perfect,so you can choose any.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lucas M
Reviewed 17 October 2013

I will never stay here again, let me start with the horrible long wait for my hot breakfast. I got there at 10:10 for breakfast and only got to eat at 12:00pm. I ordered, 2 egg whites, bacon, sausage, beans, raw tomato and mushroom and white toast. After waiting 40 minutes for my breakfast and seeing that the couple that arrived after me had their breakfast before me I complained. The chef insisted he never got my order. When I requested that the breakfast be made take away it was not appetising at all, they made 1 big egg with 2 running egg yolks, the baked beans were also floating in the raw egg, the take away container was burned and leaking from the hot food. They had to make the breakfast 3 times before getting it right. By the time they did it was 12pm. Not because the resturant was busy but because their kitchen stuff doesnt take customer service seriously. I should get a food inspector to come check that kitchen. Now the room... I got room 107 I think this is probably the worst room in the hotel as it is close to the aircon vents (big ones) and the smoking area so they made noise all night and i could smell the cigarette smoke in my room. not only that through out the night i could hear someone knocking on the doors as though they trying to wake people up. eventually one of my neighbours opened for the knocker. For a 4 star hotel it is more a motel than even a 1 star hotel. The toilet seat had urine stains meaning the cleaner never cleaned the toilet. I should get domestos to come make an ad with that toilet. They need to up their customer servcie if they expect people to stay there. i will not recommend anyone stay here. Backpackers offer better accomodation than this crappy place. They need to get their 3 stars taken away!! The only highlight of my stay was the Rihanna concert!!

Room Tip: Any room that above 107 including 107 is crap as the aircon vents will keep you up all night.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Cansy G
Reviewed 10 October 2013

As I typically do, I’ll sum up the top and bottom three aspects of the hotel (as I experienced them). For other implications of my stay, feel free to continue reading on.

Top 3:
1. Location. Located in City Bowl, you can walk almost anywhere that is almost anything near downtown Cape Town. Near the South African Missionary Meeting House Museum, fun Long Street, right around the corner to Greenmarket Square, etc., etc. Plus, I love walking and went to the Waterfront, the train station (to get to Kalk Bay), signal hill and more. Near the Civic Center if you take the bus from the airport (no problem). Ideal location to springboard to the South African experience;
2. Staff. Excellent and caring staff. From the servers for the breakfast, to the housekeeping staff, I was treated very courteously. I also tipped the staff (~R5-10 per day) and that meant extra special treatment. Please note that much of the staff does not make an exorbitant wage, and the little bit extra really does help. Security staff was good too (it’s really needed);
3. Breakfast. Mostly an English breakfast, but it was a great way to start the day. Plus (if you’re a tea sipper like me), Rooibos if requested.

Bottom 3:
1. Noise. Simply put, a noisy part of town (I was in room 203 facing the road). Whether its vendors pushing their carts to Greenmarket Square every day at 5:00 am, or the Backpacker hotel across the street, expect noise. Oh, and the Irish Bar on the corner, sometimes verbal altercations at closing time. If noise bothers you, don’t face the street. I was at this location for 15 days, and you will hear some boisterous verbal arguments in the streets;
2. Wi-Fi. Was there for business/pleasure, and the Wi-Fi cut out occasionally. But was up most of the time;
3. Family Set up. Probably not the greatest setting for a family if you are wanting select facilities for kids (i.e. no pool, no Cartoon channel etc.). Minor complaint.

Overall, good value for what I paid.

Ok, for those who want to know more…...
Downtown Cape Town is a wonderful place. You can live sheltered and spend a lot of money, or inexpensively (like I did) and really experience the place and the people. In my opinion, the Red/Blue tourist buses are the best deals you can find. Great price and you will learn much of the area. You can even visit a Township on the Blue Route (I would highly recommend that experience!). I have been to every continent (except Antarctica) and many countries, and South Africa is one of the most exciting experiences I have ever had. Visit Table Mountain, experience the Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens, visit Robben island (a must!) and do NOT forget the V&A Waterfront. Lastly (then I will stop), among the nicest people I have ever met in the world (white, coloured and Black). However, there are some bad people that will let you have it if you are not careful (especially after dark). After all, this is a developing nation with significant social issues (but it is far advanced vs. much of other Africa).

Have fun and I hope this helps!

Room Tip: Don't face road
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I had tge worst experience of all my travels. Requested plain yoghurt for breakfast on 1st day. That was not made available. I raised the matter with F&B manager but no change. On my last day I requested a packed breakfast because I was departing early, that was also not delivered. I felt like I was being done a favour by staying with them.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Sivu2410
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Coming to breakfast was such a disappointment. You not only wait long for tour hot meal, buy it is also cold on arrival. Orders for the hot meal was totally mixed up
Maybe the waitress did not understand us completely. The place is not that clean. The positive is that the my city bus stops in front of the hotel for sight seeing. I would not advise families to come here as it seems like ladies of the night is "treated" here for their breakfast. My assumption of what I have seen.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I stayed 25-28th of June in the Kings in Cape Hotel. Very nice decorated (small) and very clean rooms in downtown Cape Town. Very good. Being located between Long Street and Greenmarket Square it was even surprisingly quiet to sleep there with open window at the streetside. The heating (airco) was also excellent...
However an hour after checking out, the receptionist called me to inform me that I forgot a shirt in my rooms.
During perhaps about 1000 stays in hotels in Europe, North and Central AMerica, Asia and Africa, this never happened (of yes I lost a lot of things- but NEVER I got a call I forgot something.). An hour later I had my shirt back and a big smile on my face... Well done!
I certainly will go back

Room Tip: Even the streetside room was quiet
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Rik R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cape Town Central
ONOMO Hotel Cape Town - Inn On The Square
ONOMO Hotel Cape Town - Inn On T...
#89 of 110 in Cape Town Central
#322 of 535 in Cape Town
Forty8 Backpackers Hotel
Forty8 Backpackers Hotel
#54 of 128 in Cape Town Central

Been to Kings in Cape Hotel? Share your experiences!