“Not Impressed - Avoid at all costs!”
Review of Yindee's

Yindee's
Ranked #299 of 1,147 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Not Impressed - Avoid at all costs!”
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I am a capetonian myself, and after driving past this restaurant for years I finally decided to pop in and see what Yindee's was all about.

Seats:
We had a lovely table outside. I would definitely recommend having a table, should you decide to dine with Yindee's.

Service:
Our waiter was spot on. Drinks service was a little slow at times.

Starters:
We ordered the Chicken & Duck Spring rolls as a starter. There isn't much to say about this as it was rather bland, tasteless and the chicken overcooked.

Food:
Once our food order was placed, it was a mere 15 minutes before our waiter come popping past with our plates. This made it seem like the food was pre-prepared. Our main course featured stir fried vegetables (mainly) with Prawn Curry and seared Tuna respectively.

Wine List:
The wine list in my opinion was poor and lacked the amazing wines that are on offer in this beautiful region.

The upsetting part behind all of this was the fact that we were unhappy and decided to not tip our waiter his full 15% as dinner lasted about an hour and our experience was below-average. Soon after our waiter comes running up the road, demanding his full tip! This made myself and my friends feel like absolute cheats!

Avoid Yindee's at all cost!

• Visited January 2014

London
“Interesting Thai treat”
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Yindee’s is situated on Kloof Street, very close to where we werwe staying. And it felt like a good local restaurant. Such an improvement on the fast food or pub Thai, UK style.

TORD MAN KHAO PHOD followed by PHAD PONG KAREE and a very good KAENG KHIEW WANN , accompanied by a lovely Thelema Sauvignon Blanc, served by a friendly waiter in a restaurant that feels like eating in someone's home.

Visited November 2013
Ballito, South Africa
“Thoroughly enjoyable”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I really enjoyed Yindee"s, located in a large authentic old house with high pressed ceilings, the dining areas separated into different rooms, creating a more intimate atmosphere. There was no music playing, which made conversation audible, instead of having to shout across the table. The service was super friendly, albeit slow, which we didn't mind, as we had time to enjoy each other's company. The crispy duck was really tasty, as were the stir-fry's and the satays, and the portions were quite large. The Pad Thai was bland, which was a pity. However, I would definitely come here again.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank ANGELINA G
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Authentic Thai food”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Have been to Thailand many times and have always been disappointed by Thai restaurants outside of the country but this place is an exception, The décor is traditional Thai and the service is friendly but discreet. The flavours of the food are what you would expect in a good restaurant in Thailand itself. Also it is not that expensive so well worth a visit if you are looking for good food and a relaxed atmosphere

• Visited November 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
“Uncomfortable atmosphere and very poor service”
Reviewed 19 July 2013

I arrived wearing decent trousers and a very smart and costly jacket, i.e. well dressed. I was immediately told that I can sit at the back. The "back" is a basement-type room with a bar draped with colourful flashing lights reminiscent of a Christmas Tree, and a dirty ashtray on the table!

I don't smoke, and was not asked whether I'd prefer smoking or not!

The waiter's breath smelled strongly of alcohol. He did not introduce himself, but he had a foreign accent, so I asked where he's from. He said he's from Congo. Congolese people speak French. So I ordered my food in French. This confused him completely, and he asked what I meant! I've spoken to many Francophone people from all over the world including in France and never had a problem communicating with them! My best friend and his wife are French-speaking as well.

He was prompt with the drink order, but the beer was mildly cool, not as cold as a beer should be. The food took a bit longer than normal. It was very tasty, and lots of healthy vegetables, but I ordered hot and received medium-to-mild.

I had to eat while a group of people smoked behind me. Really unpleasant for non-smokers!

Then they left and the manager appeared. He chastised "Amando" - my waiter - for not hearing his announcement that coffees were needed. He then asked if Amando was "drunk again". Again? He's arrived at work drunk before? This is tolerated?

Then the manager and Amando laughed about this! The manager then told Amando "alcohol affects most people's legs but it affects your ears. You are deaf when you're drunk."!

I finished my meal and asked for the bill. Amando forgot to bring the card machine so he disappeared off to fetch it. Upon his return, he didn't notice that it's a chip card, so he swiped the card.

And then he didn't say goodbye, he just disappeared. Another much more pleasing and attractive waiter greeted me as I left.

So:
Food: Good flavours and portion size, but they really should deliver what is ordered!
Service: Shocking! Smoking, drunk waiter, messed up with order and payment.
Manager attitude: Utterly abysmal! And it reflects in the service!

• Visited July 2013